Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Food Comparison

Tosai

Food Comparison

Hey all, i hope everyone is well and having a good year.

Has anybody seen any articles that have compared different makes of Koi food. Not the results because there are too many variables, but the actual ingredients.

Of course there are also way too many varieties, but maybe a cross section of 5-10 different brands.

Nice ask Tangles. Since smartphones are quite common nowadays, I suggest that members take a shot of their current pack of koi food's ingredient list and send/post it. Would be less work but just as helpful. Since there are many types- growth, staple, color-enhancing, and what not, which type would you be focusing on?

Are you sure you want to do this?

I doubt if anyone would have done a comparison and had it laid out in a spreadsheet format. It would seem pointless, but maybe from such a comparison some observations and/or conclusions can be inferred. A few effortless shots could be compiled and tabulated, and Tangles could have something useful worth using and sharing. Food brands vary from country to country, and formulations could vary to suit the needs specific to a country or climate. Or as MikeM has suggested, as I recall in a separate thread, that the same brand/offering may have different formulas in different countries. Some ingredients may be noticeably absent in certain offerings, but would be heavily used in competing offerings, and that would lead us to explore further the use or lack of use thereof of such ingredients. Such information would be valuable for hobbyists perplexed by the mystery in koi foods, and it would help shape our understanding of koi food. For example, is the high price a construct of marketing and perception, or is it a reflection of the use of quality ingredients?

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    I doubt if anyone would have done a comparison and had it laid out in a spreadsheet format. It would seem pointless, but maybe from such a comparison some observations and/or conclusions can be inferred. A few effortless shots could be compiled and tabulated, and Tangles could have something useful worth using and sharing. Food brands vary from country to country, and formulations could vary to suit the needs specific to a country or climate. Or as MikeM has suggested, as I recall in a separate thread, that the same brand/offering may have different formulas in different countries. Some ingredients may be noticeably absent in certain offerings, but would be heavily used in competing offerings, and that would lead us to explore further the use or lack of use thereof of such ingredients. Such information would be valuable for hobbyists perplexed by the mystery in koi foods, and it would help shape our understanding of koi food. For example, is the high price a construct of marketing and perception, or is it a reflection of the use of quality ingredients?
    If you want to make a spreadsheet comparing different Koi foods ingredients, price, etc. you could start by looking at a big U.S. online seller like Doctors Foster & Smith. They carry several brands and if you click on More Information you can see the product's Ingredients.

Nice for the site to provide info in a nice way. Wish more sites were like that. Still, the koi food brands in that site is a very small subset of koi foods. But interesting that one has "animal" ingredients, and quite a few uses wheat as primary ingredient. Nothing against wheat specifically, but it reflects on ingredient geographic availability and low cost consideration as a main driver of ingredient selection. But I am perturbed that Dr. Foster and Smith Growth and Color Koi Food has "animal protein products." I suppose anything goes, as long as koi eat it and they develop well!

The rising cost of fishmeal has led the aquaculture industry to investigate lots of alternatives. The byproducts from processing of mammals (mostly beef and pork) and poultry are a huge source of protein in search of a use. That is, they are comparatively cheap. The protein in meat byproducts, poultry byproducts and even feather meal, can all be used to supply the needs of fish. The problems that arise have to do with these different sources having imperfect essential amino acid profiles (low in some compared to what fish need) and different degrees of digestibility in the digestive system of fish. So, a feed made with alternative sources may need additives to create an appropriate amino acid profile, or the protein may need to be pre-treated to become available, or digestive aids (probiotics) are used. For example, feathers are high in protein, but it is in an unavailable form. Hydrolyzed feathermeal protein is available (although it may take a somewhat higher protein content to get as much total protein available). So, the use of "animal protein products" is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem we hobbyists get is that you really have to know a lot of nutrition science to figure out whether the supplements in a feed take care of whatever concerns arise with a particular alternative protein source. It gets more complicated when you realize that a label does not necessarily give all the details you need to figure things out. For example, what are the "animal protein products" in that brand? And, do they vary from time to time depending on market costs? Perhaps a source of lysine was added to improve the amino acid profile, but how much? ..... We have to rely on the manufacturer to have added what was needed, and in the amounts required, so that alternative protein sources make a proper fish food for our koi. Since nutrition studies on carp are pretty much limited to raising food fish for market (very different goals than raising koi for beauty contests), it is tough to say whether something is right or wrong. I doubt you will find any studies on the use of carrots and green peppers in a food fish diet, but these have been used as ingredients in a color food intended for koi.

In the end, I think we have to go with our own experiences with how well our koi have done on a food.

I was going to say that the first thing I thought about was pink slime- rendered meat byproducts for consumption, whether as feed or as burger patties (yikes). Then again, plenty of fishmeal is no different. When I go to the fish market, I see a lot of the innards removed by fishmongers, and wonder hmmm...I can make that into really nutritious koi food. I'm pretty sure that idea has crossed the mind of a few enterprising koi food makers