Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any bonsai fanatics out there?

any bonsai fanatics out there?

Over the last 25 years Koi has pretty much monopolized my time. But last year I got interested in bonsai and aquired a few satsuki azealas. This spring I was paid back for my hard work with a glorious display of color. I tore out a section of a laurel hedge adjacent to my japanese garden and pond and put in a bonsai exhibit area, complete with pedistal display posts and graveled display area with benches. Now I've become smitten with pines and have aquired a nice mugho (40 yrs old) and a nice black pine ( about 10 ).
    I don't find bonsai chat lines so i'm looking for some long time bonsai nuts that I might communicate with, for the purpose of learning. I've been pretty luck to run across Mark Cooper of the UK but I'm afraid I'm wearing him out with all my emails! So anyone who has the patience and doesn't mind being bombared with emails PLEASE respond! Oregato!

Re: any bonsai fanatics out there?

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Over the last 25 years Koi has pretty much monopolized my time. But last year I got interested in bonsai and aquired a few satsuki azealas. This spring I was paid back for my hard work with a glorious display of color. I tore out a section of a laurel hedge adjacent to my japanese garden and pond and put in a bonsai exhibit area, complete with pedistal display posts and graveled display area with benches. Now I've become smitten with pines and have aquired a nice mugho (40 yrs old) and a nice black pine ( about 10 ).
    I don't find bonsai chat lines so i'm looking for some long time bonsai nuts that I might communicate with, for the purpose of learning. I've been pretty luck to run across Mark Cooper of the UK but I'm afraid I'm wearing him out with all my emails! So anyone who has the patience and doesn't mind being bombared with emails PLEASE respond! Oregato!
    Dick, I'm gonna forward this to who I consider the Bonzzai King.
    He has been all over the world collecting these.. Japan twice..Evergladez, S America etc.. before he became Koi Kichi.
    He is 55-56 and his dad started it in the 1940"z.
    WHAT A COLLECTION
    Cypress, bottlebrush, bouganvilla and ?????????... Driftwood with grafted on Juniperz.. which is the BEST way to go.. according to him.. here at least...

Thanks Doug, very much. sounds like a good guy I could learn from!

Tosai
    You may find some people with some knowledge on this Forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/bonsai/

The pond/fish forum there is mostly water gardening, however I know nothing of Bonsai (other than it means "Little Tree") so I have no idea as to the quality of the information there.

Theron,
    Thanks, I looked into it and it might work for now. Appreciate it!

Dick I enjoy bonsai too. I have a few interesting ones in my fields I will have to take some pics of them. I started them myself one is about 30 yrs old a Scots Pine and the other is younger a Siberian Larch I have some small ones in containers that grow well in the house. I saw some great displays in Germany Frankfurt and in Lugano Switzerland last winter they made my mouth water. Post some pics I will do the same.

I would love to see photos of your trees. Especially the Scots! It's my favorite tree! You think I can find one around here!?

it's all one gallon stuff and about 2-3 years old. My favorite author is Dan barton and peter d adams. All their stuff ( they're from thre UK ) is out of print and costly. I did just find peter's maple book in canada and got it ordered yesterday.

Thanks for responding!

Dick another interesting tree I have is the mugo pine they are extremely hardy don't grow too big usually and they get very distorted. I have to experiment more with root pruning. I try to grow thing that are very hardy mugo are rated for zone 2 and we are that sometimes. I have some over 20 years that are struggling and perfect for the use. I just came back from a alpine trip and there is some great stuff up there. Lessons is nature's torture and growing that we can build into the bonsai

Tategoi
    Dick:

Here you go: http://www.fukubonsai.com/2a4.html

The Dr. Horace Clay is the individual that brought the 200 year old Bonsai plant from Japan to America as a gift from Emperor Hirohito to the USA as a birthday gift on the 200 anniversary of our independence...

There are some interesting links on the care of the plants...

Aloha! Mike

Best Bonsai I ever saw

rgds Bern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast