Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Asagi spawning - which fry to keep

Asagi spawning - which fry to keep

Hi AllAs some of you might know I am an amateur breeder and take please in spawing and raising my koi.I recently spawned an asagi female with a showa and a kohaku male.Fact is I have plenty of fry.What do you think the permutations will be from this?I note I have yellow and black fry - are the black one asagi and showa? what about goshiki?Any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi AllAs some of you might know I am an amateur breeder and take please in spawing and raising my koi.I recently spawned an asagi female with a showa and a kohaku male.Fact is I have plenty of fry.What do you think the permutations will be from this?I note I have yellow and black fry - are the black one asagi and showa? what about goshiki?Any help would be appreciated
    In my very limited experience, you are going to get lots of magoi. Once the fry reach about 4 cm., I suspect most of the "black ones" will look like magoi.

Magoi picture from koibitz.com.

I think we will need to hear from some of our Aussie friends to get a full picture.

Goshiki can come out of both crosses. Forms of Goromo may also appear. Kage forms of Showa/Utsuri can appear. And, I would expect Karasugoi. I would not be surprised by a wide range of types... including Aka Matsuba forms. Unfortunately, since this is a 'primary cross', I also expect the young will hark back to the early forms of Goshiki, Goromo, and other varieties. That is, they will be like the ones pictured in the books published back in the 1960s, not the forms pictured in contemporary publications. Go back to the early forms and you might not recognize them if it was not for the photo captions. From the original Goshiki to contemporary forms, for example, has taken over a dozen generations of refinement. Your big challenge is going to be raising all the fry to a size where you can figure out how to select and what you want to select for. There might be a worthy Kage Utsuri in the thousands of fry, but how to figure it out without raising all the fry to 20cm requires experience I do not have. .....This is the inherent problem of flock spawns, which is basically what you are dealing with given these combinations.

....Perhaps make a decision to aim for just one variety, say Kage Showa. Then select accordingly.... eliminate all non-black fry immediately so you only have Showa/Karasugoi left. Then at second culling, eliminate all that have not had red appear.... hoping at that point to be down to Showa, Kage Showa, Goromo Showa, Hi Utsuri, etc. From there, hopefully the numbers will not be so daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    In my very limited experience, you are going to get lots of magoi. Once the fry reach about 4 cm., I suspect most of the "black ones" will look like magoi.

Magoi picture from koibitz.com.
    .... But, I wouldn't count on them having so nice a body form?

stay with the black fry.

In explaination, black fry show their showa influence. Yellow fry could have a lot more genetic opportunities. And take longer to develop because of all the diversity. Without mud ponds etc to offer unlimited food and space to grow it's best to
    drop the numbers and just focus on a few to get max health and growth.

other side of the coin is if your looking for something rare and throw-backish, the yellow ones may offer that but it will take lots of time and patence....