Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: All Japan Shinkokai Show

All Japan Shinkokai Show

In short order the show most mean when they talk about the 'All-Japan Show' is going to be upon us. Once again, Mark Gardner has been blogging about contenders. Mark Gardner's blog | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com . I do not know whether the five he puts up will be entered, and as this point it seems the Momotaro prospect has no private owner. Things change, and some other contender is likely lurking out there somewhere. Still, Mark's run down is fun to consider. Personally, as much as I would like to see a Sanke take GC (it has been a very long time!), the SFF prospect is a gorgeous wannabe... unless she has gained a lot of bulk since the Rinyukai All-Japan, which I doubt. ... great bulk is needed at this level of play. The Momotaro Showa is not so impressive as her sister Lion Queen, the 2014 winner. So, that leaves Kohaku from SFF, Dainichi and Toyota Dainichi. The 'Big Three' of Dainichi, SFF and Momotaro so dominate that I'd like to see the Toyota Dainichi Kohaku take top honors. It's a matter of rooting for the underdog breeder more than a love of that Kohaku. And, having gained her reputation in Rinyukai rather than ZNA, it is also rooting for the underdog in another way. Nobody really expects Rinyukai to be the home turf of a Shinkokai All-Japan GC. Maybe this time?

....Who knows? Last year there was some thinking that 'all things being equal', it was time for Momotaro not to be blackballed. If such things matter, why not the Toyota branch of Mano-san's legacy?

Just like Lion Queen backed her Runner Up Award with Grand Champion, I think the SFF Kohaku will do the same this year.

there are a few 'new face' in this pond that need to considering too, but of course Mark San know which are real contenders .....https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...=2&theater
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

I want to see the SFF sanke taking the top honor as well but I agree that she will be competing out of her weight class. It's like a light heavy weight trying to go against the heavy weight. It would be a long shot for her to win it but I will be rooting for her. Does anybody know why Lion Queen did not make Mark's list of GC contenders?

I'm rooting for Dainichi's Kohaku. Simply love the huge looking "hump".

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Just like Lion Queen backed her Runner Up Award with Grand Champion, I think the SFF Kohaku will do the same this year.
    Yes. There is a reason Mark made her his first contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Does anybody know why Lion Queen did not make Mark's list of GC contenders?
    She is not expected to be entered. The tradition of not entering the reigning GC remains strong in Japan. I recently read somewhere that the tradition draws on concepts of respect for age and position. The reigning GC should not be placed at risk of an unfavorable comparison, and judges should not be placed in the position of feeling they must vote for the incumbent GC out of respect for her incumbency. Whether such ideas remain viable in Japan is, I think, questionable. Nonetheless, the tradition remains that a GC should skip a year. Such is not the case in most of the world. But, it remains tough to keep an All-Japan level GC in top GC form for two consecutive years. In most instances, it is not likely the incumbent GC would be worthy and should not 'lose face'.
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    She is not expected to be entered. The tradition of not entering the reigning GC remains strong in Japan. I recently read somewhere that the tradition draws on concepts of respect for age and position. The reigning GC should not be placed at risk of an unfavorable comparison, and judges should not be placed in the position of feeling they must vote for the incumbent GC out of respect for her incumbency. Whether such ideas remain viable in Japan is, I think, questionable. Nonetheless, the tradition remains that a GC should skip a year. Such is not the case in most of the world. But, it remains tough to keep an All-Japan level GC in top GC form for two consecutive years. In most instances, it is not likely the incumbent GC would be worthy and should not 'lose face'.

I had this explained to me by one of my "elder" mentors, who is no longer with us. When I have posted this before, it was as to illustrate merely the respect factor that was once in the hobby, and perhaps what has been lost. It was not meant to say that one would have to pick the returning GC, but rather the "falling out of grace" that may result as more than likely the returning GC would not win. I did not mean for that to reflect upon the judges in any way, shape or form, as it is not about them at all.

But rather the koi...
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleRG View Post
    I did not mean for that to reflect upon the judges in any way, shape or form, as it is not about them at all.

But rather the koi...
    Absolutely.

At the same time, we know that all sorts of factors can influence how any decision maker sees things, whether a CEO deciding what idea is better in business, a judicial judge deciding which legal principle is applicable or a koi judge deciding which contender is more imposing. Non-professionals who have gone through intensive training are less likely to be influenced by extraneous matters, but remain human. Cultural sensibilities influence the eye. It is not necessarily a conscious process. At the Shinkokai All-Japan, there has been a lingering sense that 'other factors' get some weight along the way. It has been unusual, however, that there is open discussion. The idea of 'the Momotaro blackball' that got attention last year probably reflects the effect of the internet more than anything else. The whispers were around a long time. ...Sort of like what a big deal it was the first time a non-Japanese hobbyist took the top prize.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Absolutely.

At the same time, we know that all sorts of factors can influence how any decision maker sees things, whether a CEO deciding what idea is better in business, a judicial judge deciding which legal principle is applicable or a koi judge deciding which contender is more imposing. Non-professionals who have gone through intensive training are less likely to be influenced by extraneous matters, but remain human. Cultural sensibilities influence the eye. It is not necessarily a conscious process. At the Shinkokai All-Japan, there has been a lingering sense that 'other factors' get some weight along the way. It has been unusual, however, that there is open discussion. The idea of 'the Momotaro blackball' that got attention last year probably reflects the effect of the internet more than anything else. The whispers were around a long time. ...Sort of like what a big deal it was the first time a non-Japanese hobbyist took the top prize.
    True enough....

I am also old school....or think I am....

I always like to know from what "source" my information comes from, whether or not their information may be "skewed" or not.....ie if we are discussion koi food, it is good to get lots of opinions, and then do your own homework, but would you rather get info from a manufacturer of koi food or from folks in the hobby for 25 or 30 or 40 years....is that koi food manufacturer going to come out and say, "my food sucks, but buy it anyway?"......I think not....perhaps same with breeders and dealers to degree? As with most things nowadays, we always here stories of "politics" entering into.........everything......especially when one has an interest/money involved.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast