Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thinking about spawning this season

Here are three of my home-growns from 2012 spawn with their mama in the center. They are not the highest quality sanke but good enough for my pond. This was my last spawn. If I can find a better quality oyagoi, I might join the fun and spawn a pair this year. Reading your post and Adam Byer's blog have given me the itch. :-) I know the chance of us raising something worthy of greatness from our backyard is highly unlikely, but that should not stop us from dreaming about it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about spawning this season-sanke12152014-076.jpg  

Nice! I like them all. You must be proud! I know it is really hard to find nice sanke. Thats why I don't have any. I am wondering if it is okay to reuse the baby brine salt water (at least partially) to keep the cycle going. I'm thinking mixing new salt water every time will be a pain. I know, I know, you get what you put in. Might not be a big deal. Just trying think of ways to be more efficient with the time I have. I will order some brine eggs and design some bottles with collecting strainers this weekend.

Did you use soft netting inside of your spawning tank? If you did, where do you find for purchase. Not sure what is the appropriate material for the fine mesh.

Thanks Akai-san! Yes, you can reuse the salt solution, but I would not recommend using it more than twice because the water will start smell. The easiest method of hatching brineshrimp is using a commercial hatching cone, which is also available at Brineshrimp Direct. Or you can make one yourself from a one-liter soft drink bottle. I did not use either methods because it is too difficult to heat the water with the cone shape. Instead, I used 2 one-gallon jar beverage dispensers. Both are filled with 1/2 gallon of the salt solution and airstone for aeration. The temperature is raised to about 80F by placing both jars in a heated 10-gallon aquarium with about the same level of water as the water in the jars. At the that temperature, the eggs will hatch within 24 hours allowing me to alternate the hatching between the two jars daily.

AS for the spawning net, I did not have one but it is a good way to collect the eggs and move them to cleaner environment. Sorry, I don't know where to get it either. Hopefully, Adam B. will jump in and tell us where he got his net.
    Last edited by Tosai_Sunny; 03-16- at 12:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Heated tank to hatch the eggs. That is why I see online, they place a lamp on the bottles. Hawaii is quite temperate, so daytime temps are 75-85 regularly. I was thinking that I needed to set up a bottle for each day (7-2 Liter bottles). If I give the eggs 48 hours, should be good. I was thinking of setting up a fixed/in-place brine shrimp station with valves and strainers. Thinking more, it surely will be 10 times easier and faster just to dump the baby brine shrimp straight from the bottle into a strainer. YES! K.I.S.S. I will just build a cool bottle holder; yup that is what I'll do.

If anyone has advice on purchasing and setting up a spawning mesh/net inside of the spawning tank, I am very interested in knowing, learning and planning on this feature for my first try at spawning.

What about mosquito netting with a pvc frame? Too fine/weak? I surely don't want koi to break themselves and get tangled in anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Doubl...+mosquito+nets

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ANY81G?psc=1
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

I just had a flash of reality last night thinking about this undertaking. I am so into the preparations for this spawning season and fry care, I TOTALLY forgot about what happens next. What will I do will all the koi that come out of the spawning? I have no expectations for getting top quality results from this experience, but I am already thinking that I will not have the proper pond space available for the koi that I want to move on. I have space to set up large 800-1000 gallon tanks (temporary-permanent), but I'm sure the Mrs. will surely question my sanity. I guess I could thin out and re-home a few of my koi, but I still like them all. Plus, taking out 2-3 koi will not really help my future situation either.

LOL....

But, I'm not sure if your concern is with fry being raised (i.e., the potential need for the 35-foot liner pond we were talking about originally), or the young ones you think you will be keeping???

A fellow in the Orlando club raises a ton of non-descript koi each year and sells them for as little as $1 apiece. He has fun doing it and readily trumpets that he has junk koi at cheap prices for the person who is happy with just that. If your intent is to produce something better than junk, then you must be prepared to kill the bulk of what you produce when they reach a size sufficient to decide whether they past muster. For the first-time backyard breeder, this is emotionally traumatic. You begin to become attached to the little things you've worked so hard to raise.... all that bother in producing greenwater, setting up systems, giving up personal time to perform all the work involved.... all just to kill nearly all of them. But, that is what you've got to do in order to devote available resources to the few potentially worthy ones. If you are not prepared to be a mass murderer of koi fingerlings, then koi breeding will not be any fun at all. There are plenty enough crapagoi in the world. You do not need to do all that work and incur all the expense just to add more to the unwanted masses. And, you will not be happy if you assume a responsibility for keeping them alive for their natural life span.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    LOL....

But, I'm not sure if your concern is with fry being raised (i.e., the potential need for the 35-foot liner pond we were talking about originally), or the young ones you think you will be keeping???

A fellow in the Orlando club raises a ton of non-descript koi each year and sells them for as little as $1 apiece. He has fun doing it and readily trumpets that he has junk koi at cheap prices for the person who is happy with just that. If your intent is to produce something better than junk, then you must be prepared to kill the bulk of what you produce when they reach a size sufficient to decide whether they past muster. For the first-time backyard breeder, this is emotionally traumatic. You begin to become attached to the little things you've worked so hard to raise.... all that bother in producing greenwater, setting up systems, giving up personal time to perform all the work involved.... all just to kill nearly all of them. But, that is what you've got to do in order to devote available resources to the few potentially worthy ones. If you are not prepared to be a mass murderer of koi fingerlings, then koi breeding will not be any fun at all. There are plenty enough crapagoi in the world. You do not need to do all that work and incur all the expense just to add more to the unwanted masses. And, you will not be happy if you assume a responsibility for keeping them alive for their natural life span.
    I'm am surely not afraid to toss thousands of baby koi into the ground for fertilizer or feed larger carnivorous fish some baby koi-bites. I definitely wont have any time/patience to sell any koi. I really will be more interested in learning to cull (really hard) to get rid of the rubbish. I hear that A LOT of fry are deformed in one way or another. Just seeing and tossing these fry will be a huge learning experience for me. I'd really like to experience the hardship in trying to find 1 or 2 fry that I would want to keep. I hear even that is not easy. Ordering my liner now...

Looking forward to updates as you pursue the experience! You've got the spirit.

Okay, sitting around my parents dining table yesterday talking about my plans to do my first koi spawning and all the things that I've been prepping to get ready for the new fry, AND BOOM! A BOMB went off in my head. My parents have a HUGE pool in the backyard that has been empty for years. (my dad had ideas to make his 20K gallon koi pond). The sides are covered with green algae and I don't know what else has fallen into it. The pool has not been filled to the top in over 20 years, so the plaster finish is no longer good, but it still retains water with no leaking. Is this perfect or what? Rainwater and leaves from trees is what I see that gets caught in the pool. They recently drained the pool water and placed one chlorine tablet in the small puddle of water that is left over. Soooooo, I am thinking of utlizing this GIANT pool for a fry grow-out. What do I need to do to nutrilize the chlorine in the water. I took out the tablet, but I'm sure may have more traces in and around the pool. I just stocked up on a couple gallons of PRIME, so will treat and test the water quality with new water and see what I am left with. I am thinking to run a simple trickle tower system directly in the pond in attempt to get the water primed/prepped. I'm sure the green water and algae will grow just fine if I keep the water exposed to the summer sunlight.

I'm not planning on using the entire water volume as there is a deep end (8ft) and shallow end (4 ft). It is a L-Shaped pool so looking to use 24 inches of water on the deep end for the fry grow-out (12ft long x 8ft wide). The pool is out in the open south-west side of the property, so I expect the water to be in direct sunlight and water temps to be quite warm (80+ degrees). Is this okay for the fry? Once I place the fry in the pool and take out the trickle tower, I can provide shade cover over the pool top and still be able to walk in the pool to access water.

Of course, I'll have to transport the fry from my house to parents house five minutes away. Starting to feel my back pains just thinking about the transport of thousands of fry and water.

Any thoughts or advice?

One of the Orlando club's members uses his swimming pool in just this way. While the fish are small, no filtration is needed. So, no little ones killed in a filter. Aeration can be added when the fry begin to look like fish. With enough fish, there are no significant mosquito problems. But, you will need to have filtration eventually unless your culling keeps the population down. ....It will look a mess. Are your parents really willing to put up with it? ....Of course, they will be seeing a lot of you. Most parents will put up with a lot to have their grown children visiting daily.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast