Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thinking about spawning this season

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    What do you use for dragon fly deterant? I remember seeing the critters in the pool last year when I left the water unsupervised for a couple months. Not sure how to place a net over the pond as I will most likely be running a shower set-up in the center of the pool that will run during sun light hours. I'm thinking that I really want to get some kind of filtration and don't want the fry in totally stagnant water in the pool. Any words about my crazy thoughts?
    You worry too much. .... net the pond after you install the base and before you install all of the trays of media.

I do worry a lot. I always want everything to go smoothly, even though I know there is always stuff that go wrong or not exactly as planned. Got to put my best foot forward and then learn from there.

Question: How fast should fry grow? What is the ideal size expected at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks? (I guess it would depend on the food supply). Auto-feeders!

I do worry a lot. I always want everything to go smoothly, even though I know there is always stuff that go wrong or not exactly as planned. Got to put my best foot forward and then learn from there.

Question: How fast should fry grow? What is the ideal size expected at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks? (I guess it would depend on the food supply). Auto-feeders!
    I did a lot of research and visited koi farms then decided to breed with great results. Then I spent a week at Momotaro and found out that it was the biggest waste of time that I had ever done. As because of my passion I devoted far too much time. The best quality I could ever achieve would be the quality of their culls.
    So the best you will do is have a little fun and give away what you breed.
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    I did a lot of research and visited koi farms then decided to breed with great results. Then I spent a week at Momotaro and found out that it was the biggest waste of time that I had ever done. As because of my passion I devoted far too much time. The best quality I could ever achieve would be the quality of their culls.
    So the best you will do is have a little fun and give away what you breed.
    Regards
    Eugene
    I really have no expectations of getting quality koi. I just would like to experience spawning, culling and watching how fast the fry grow. My experience so far has been growing out 8" tosai to 30" koi. I don't have any experience with koi fry. It is amazing to me that the fry (like guppy fry) will grow as big as they are. Definitely will need to find homes for whatever I end up keeping for a little while. I promise to cull hard as I don't have large facilities for grow outs.

What age males should be used when spawning? I have a range of Showa males to select from. Dainichi tateshita from 2.5 years old to 4 years old. Isa male at 5+ years and my old Kanezo male at 6+ years. None of them have ever spawned as I keep the males and females separated all the time.

I'd like to try a spawn my big girl (30") offspring of Kokugyo (my avatar photo). I'm scared to handle her, she's a lot to handle for me. Went on Youtube to look for setups. Would a 8ft show tank be big enough for her spawning? I have a couple 6ft show tanks to use as well. I watched Bram's videos at Dainichi spawning pairs. Awesome!

I still can't find the fine white mesh to that the breeders use. Can someone lead me in the right direction on how to obtain the right material to use in the spawning tank?

What age males should be used when spawning? I have a range of Showa males to select from. Dainichi tateshita from 2.5 years old to 4 years old. Isa male at 5+ years and my old Kanezo male at 6+ years. None of them have ever spawned as I keep the males and females separated all the time.

I'd like to try a spawn my big girl (30") offspring of Kokugyo (my avatar photo). I'm scared to handle her, she's a lot to handle for me. Went on Youtube to look for setups. Would a 8ft show tank be big enough for her spawning? I have a couple 6ft show tanks to use as well. I watched Bram's videos at Dainichi spawning pairs. Awesome!

I still can't find the fine white mesh to that the breeders use. Can someone lead me in the right direction on how to obtain the right material to use in the spawning tank?
    Show tank is ok
    Used dump truck netting to covertop
    Did not use material in spawning tank other than spawning brushes
    Used my largest male which was not a good idea as fin damage should have used the youngest.
    Transferred eggs disinfected lot of air fine bubbles
    Over 100000 fry and the ones that did the best were the ones that I dumped in a farmers shallow pond.
    Regards
    Eugene

You see, that is what I'm talking about. Finding a place that I can keep thousands of fry fed will be my concern in the beginning. Of course bigger the better, but how much space or volume/gallons is needed to grow one spawning worth of fry(on average)? Will the fry turn the green water clear after eating all the micro-Rotifers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sansai
    Be a pathfinder and just DO IT!

Garfield

[QUOTE=Akai-San;220162]You see, that is what I'm talking about. Finding a place that I can keep thousands of fry fed will be my concern in the beginning. Of course bigger the better, but how much space or volume/gallons is needed to grow one spawning worth of fry(on average)? Will the fry turn the green water clear after eating all the micro-Rotifers

You would require a 20 x 40 x one meter fry pond. I would suggest that you you start with your smallest female or find a breeder where you can breed such a fine and large fish.
    Regards
    Eugene

[QUOTE=Eugeneg;220164]
    You see, that is what I'm talking about. Finding a place that I can keep thousands of fry fed will be my concern in the beginning. Of course bigger the better, but how much space or volume/gallons is needed to grow one spawning worth of fry(on average)? Will the fry turn the green water clear after eating all the micro-Rotifers

You would require a 20 x 40 x one meter fry pond. I would suggest that you you start with your smallest female or find a breeder where you can breed such a fine and large fish.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Or, accept the fact that you are doing it just for fun and will not get anything you could not buy really cheap (and for much less than the expense of the project). Then, just scoop out a small net full of fry to raise in the largest space you can make available (already green). Toss out the bulk of the hatchlings and cull rigorously. You will end up with maybe a dozen tosai to re-home (and keep a favorite for yourself ). Affordable, fun and the end results very likely not materially different.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast