Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thinking about spawning this season

I ultimately am doing this for fun in learning. Thank You. Keeping just enough fry to give me a chance to learn is something I never would have thought about doing. I always thought to keep all the fry that hatch (I hope they hatch?)

Thanks again Mike. I'm off for more supplies and prep work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has it been a year already! Here I am again, thinking about my first time spawn or two this year, but as usual my schedule is not looking good (free time wise). Too many projects and commitments in 2017. I know everyone is busy and doesn't have time and still manages to do it and have fun. It still makes me think twice because I don't want to do it half-way. A couple daylight hours on Sat and Sunday for the week, doesn't seem like success to me. Daylight hours on weekdays are impossible, but it doesn't make my urge go away.

After last year, I purchased and built everything in place ready for the hundred thousand fry I was expecting, BUT I didn't pull the trigger and go through with the spawnings as I felt that August was too late in the season and short of time to give me a good learning experience. I'm guttless.....

I feel even more ready this year as I have everything in place and ready to go. Our old pool is ready again and spread out the liner for the grow-out pond 10'x20'x2' deep (no water/no green water). Pulled out my portable solar powered trickle towers and solar lights. Tested and operated just fine. I haven't rolled out the bird nets yet. So....the water and the net might be the point of no return. I guess I am scared to go through everything and not have time to care for, cull, and have fun with the fry (once they arrive, hopefully). We'll see if another year goes bye bye...

If you're not really ready, better to hold off. I had enough issues to deal with just having 50 fry. It was a very good experience though, because I can appreciate how much is involved in caring for fry. Seeing nice ones develop and understanding why culling needs to take place (in the sense of the sooner the better - it's hard to cull a really large, friendly but unattractive koi). When it came time to let the beautiful ones go, whether by giving them away or selling them, you always wish they could find a good koi keeper to take care of them, instead of one who will neglect them in so many ways imaginable.

Hi Akai-San,

Sounds like you have everything ready. Where are the fry? :-) I am tempted to put a pair of sanke together but don't feel I am quiet ready to care for the fry yet. :-( Maybe another month...we will see...

Sunny

Yeah, I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. No pairings, no fry. My business is requiring more and more of my attention, leaving less and less time for fun stuff. I'm content right now with caring and maintaining my growouts. Space will definitely be a problem if I pull the trigger.

Would be interested in your feeding regiment for the fry you keep. I'm in the same boat. I'm sure I can get a spawn going with some success, it is the caring for the fry (feeding more than twice a day) that I cannot do. I could probably cull during my night time hours (I stay up late at night). Like I said before....no gutts. Haha.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345