Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Suggested Books For Koi Growing and Breeding

Suggested Books For Koi Growing and Breeding

Dear Friends;
    I am Living in Iran as you may know Iran is in sanction and we cannot buy anything directly from amazon or any other book stores outside of Iran. I have a friend who goes to India on Wednesday. I will be so thankful from you if you let me know your suggested books. Actually I need book to cover more about growing, caring and specially breeding Koi.

Thank You So much
    Reza

It is difficult to suggest one book. All fall short in some respect and none generally available are very helpful in regard to breeding.

I continue to believe the best single book overall is Peter Waddington's Koi Kichi. It is outdated in regard to technology, but remains an excellent introduction to koikeeping.

Given your situation, for basic care, health and water maintenance information, I suggest you check out the website of koiorganisationinternational.org . If you register at the website, you can download K.O.I.'s free 'Koi 101'. It is not literary, but is packed with useful information. (Other materials require a membership for which payment is required.)

Other books that could be useful to you:

A Practical Guide to Building And Maintaining a Koi Pond: An Essential Guide to Building And Maintaining, Keith Holmes et al., ISBN-10: 1842860631
    Koi: A Handbook on Keeping Nishikigoi, Servaas de Kock et al, ISBN 1-84537-040-6
    Koi Appreciation: The First Step, Kate McGill, ISBN 1-86126-468-2
    Koi for Dummies, R. D. Bartlett et al., ISBN 978-0-470-09913-1
    Step by Step Advanced Koi Diagnosis & Treatments, Duncan Griffiths
    The Cult of the Koi, Michugo Tamadachi
    The Tetra Encyclopedia of Koi, Bernice Brewster et al, ISBN 1-56465-145-2 [but ignore Tetra's self-promotion]
    The Ultimate Koi, Nick Fletcher ed., ISBN 1-58245-129-X
    The World of Koi, Keith Holmes et al., ISBN 0-7641-2988-0

ricshaw and Reza like this.

Welcome to Koi Bito, Reza! I am very curious about the koi hobby in Iran. Can you tell us what kind of koi are being raised there? Are there koi clubs in your country?

Regards,
    Sunny
    Last edited by Tosai_Sunny; 03-17- at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarification
    Reza likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It is difficult to suggest one book. All fall short in some respect and none generally available are very helpful in regard to breeding.

I continue to believe the best single book overall is Peter Waddington's Koi Kichi. It is outdated in regard to technology, but remains an excellent introduction to koikeeping.

Given your situation, for basic care, health and water maintenance information, I suggest you check out the website of koiorganisationinternational.org . If you register at the website, you can download K.O.I.'s free 'Koi 101'. It is not literary, but is packed with useful information. (Other materials require a membership for which payment is required.)

Other books that could be useful to you:

A Practical Guide to Building And Maintaining a Koi Pond: An Essential Guide to Building And Maintaining, Keith Holmes et al., ISBN-10: 1842860631
    Koi: A Handbook on Keeping Nishikigoi, Servaas de Kock et al, ISBN 1-84537-040-6
    Koi Appreciation: The First Step, Kate McGill, ISBN 1-86126-468-2
    Koi for Dummies, R. D. Bartlett et al., ISBN 978-0-470-09913-1
    Step by Step Advanced Koi Diagnosis & Treatments, Duncan Griffiths
    The Cult of the Koi, Michugo Tamadachi
    The Tetra Encyclopedia of Koi, Bernice Brewster et al, ISBN 1-56465-145-2 [but ignore Tetra's self-promotion]
    The Ultimate Koi, Nick Fletcher ed., ISBN 1-58245-129-X
    The World of Koi, Keith Holmes et al., ISBN 0-7641-2988-0

Dear MikeM;

I am So thankful for making time to write useful and helpful information. I registered in website you suggested, there is many useful information.
    I will be so thakful if you give me your opinion about these two books :

Koishi - Koi Breeders
    Nishikigoi Mondo

Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Welcome Koi Bito, Reza! I am very curious about the koi hobby in Iran. Can you tell us what kind of koi are being raised there? Are there koi clubs in your country?

Regards,
    Sunny
    Dear Suuny;
    The koi story in my country is the One Thousands and One night story. Even I read In several several articles that Iran Is the ancestral home of the Common Carp, By the way it is almost expatriate in Iran Today.

In Iran there is no society like Japan Canada, United States and etc. breeders are breeding what they have and what the think will be stranger off-springs in the season. most of the breeders breeding butterfly Kois, because almost no one keeping koi in pond, they keep in aquarium. unconventional scales fins and colors are interested in Iran. there is no one imported koi from Japan, It seems breeders also has no need to import it because they are breeding their parents and selling very good, in some cases they export to north Iraq.

Koi Keeping is almost expensive Hobby and Importing is not easy, specially for us that living in Iran. Sanctions, and exchange rate made so many problems and pushed us to one way road or better to say island.

5 month later I get the price of the Koi from Japan the transferring price for 2*50 kg box of Nisai or tosai was near 120,000 Yen. I is in Iran Rials (38,400,000) by comparing common salary in Iran (6~8,000,000) you can find it is more then 4 months of salary. this is the cause of why no one try to import it from Japan. some tropical fishes importing from Malaysia , Indonesia and in their packages the may be some koi are imported, in the best conditions they are pond koi quality.4 times expensive then Iranian breed pond quality kois.

Last week I started to make a society for koi in Iran I registered a web site and i am constructing it with the name of Iranian Koi Keepers Society. I am planing to collect the koi Keepers and breeders information and statistics and to improve their knowledge about koi keeping and breeding.

I personally have not enough money to buy Koi From Japan or any other foreign country. but I never disappointed. an other problem is dealing because of U.S sanctions. most of countries cannot deal with Iran.

And finally English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Thanks
    Reza
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Dear MikeM;

I am So thankful for making time to write useful and helpful information. I registered in website you suggested, there is many useful information.
    I will be so thakful if you give me your opinion about these two books :

Koishi - Koi Breeders
    Nishikigoi Mondo

Thank you so much

Koishi is not a book I would recommend for beginners. It provides a good bit of history and information about breeders. But, it is also a snapshot in time. Each year some information about varieties being bred becomes outdated. It can give a beginner the idea of relying on who the breeder is in making a decision about the fairness of prices or the quality of the koi being offered for sale. This leads to errors. More advanced hobbyists can place the information in context. I think it is especially important for beginners to focus on individual koi before paying much attention to the breeder. Even the best breeders produce more low-end koi than high quality ones, although their reputations are based mostly on the highest quality koi they produce.... koi you are unlikely to see or have available.

Nishikigoi Mondo is excellent, if you can find it. It is comparatively expensive. You may have difficulty reading it. The original is in Japanese and it has been translated into English. There are passages in the English version that are affected by translation challenges (although far fewer than we usually see in materials translated from Japanese). With English not being your first language, it may be more challenging to figure out what some passages mean. Even English speakers have problems on occasion. For example, English translations from Japanese often use the word 'breeding' when the correct word would be 'raising' or 'caring for'.

Good luck!
    Reza likes this.

Dear Friends;

It is my bad luck or misery??!!!! That friend came back from India on Friday 27 March and he said he couldn't find these books in India and if he was order them from Amazon.com it took time to deliver in India and on that time he was not there and will be in Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Dear Friends;

It is my bad luck or misery??!!!! That friend came back from India on Friday 27 March and he said he couldn't find these books in India and if he was order them from Amazon.com it took time to deliver in India and on that time he was not there and will be in Iran.

Hi Reza,

Then I think you can simply ask Kerry or Obama to bring some koi books to Iran for you on their next trips for nuclear talks ;-))

Seriously, you can access to the internet, you can find a lot of information there. This forum is an example, you can search thru and find a lot of value stuffs here.

Welcome to Koi-Bito.

--Dinh

Perhaps another time arrangements can be made in advance.

We can hope the state of the world becomes such that seeking happiness through keeping koi is not a political matter.
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Perhaps another time arrangements can be made in advance.

We can hope the state of the world becomes such that seeking happiness through keeping koi is not a political matter.
    Dear MikeM;

Thanks for your kindness. I wish no country anymore become in such this condition it is terrible. The sanctions made many problems in life for us, Iran Become an island in connected world.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast