Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goshiki

The belly looks like it might be white which would make it a showa, I believe. If not a white belly, hi utsuri.

Mike

Hi

Both of the ones Mike posted are what I believe to be the Kawari based Goshiki i.e. black skinned. I noted once in a mail by JR that he considered the asagi crosses the epitome of good Goshiki but I can't relate that to the blue skinned examples that I generally see in Europe. However, I saw a version at a breeder called Hosokai that would rock anybodies boat and can only assume that it was the type and standard that JR was refering to. However, it could be said of the example that I saw that it had a white skin underlying the blue reticulation and the hi patches.

With reference to Asagi etc, most Nishikigoi originated from Asagi somewhere down the line. The reason I was given for the higher prized white skins was that this was progress, blue skins were seen as a retrograde step in terms of refinement.

The Miya I mentioned is known just by that name. I've not been able to find him in the Shinkokai book, but its not Miyatora or Miyaishi etc. I'll see if I can get more info on him.

As for a white skinned Goshiki here's one that I once owned and the root cause of any knowledge I possess about this variety.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

Shunrai

Hi Lynne,

Don't be impressed by my knoweldge of Dutch, the reason that I know anything about this variety is that a UK Dealer bought them into this country a few years ago and he's only a couple of miles from me.

The Shunrai, (trans = Spring Thunder) were developed by Miyatora and were described as Sumi-Goromo-Goshiki. The specimens I saw (Photo) were too small to see any detail but all I could deduce was that they were Sumi Goromo with reticulation in the white.

When the ones bought into the UK grew to 15 inches or so they were very disappointing and messy. Therefore they haven't caught on over here.

rgds BERN

Nisai
    That is interesting to hear your comments about Miyatora`s Shunrai, Bern.

I picked up two such tosai from him this Spring. One is very nice with a great pattern of intense cherry burgandy hi like i have seen on no other fish. After I paid for that one, he threw in one other as a gift, it has the same colour, but not as rich and the pattern is messy.

I hope the good one does better than the ones you saw grow in Europe though - so far it continues to look promising. My other Miyatora fish, a san sai Red Kujaku sure is a stunner.

Back to Goshiki, ... I think another source for them is from Koromo spawns. I have seen goshiki that are the siblings of budo-goromo and sumi-goromo, ... basically similar fish that are classed goshiki because they have a grey pattern as opposed to the white base.

So, I'll add some more confusion to the mix. Dr. Kuroki writes that Goshiki was created in 1918 by crossing Asagi with Aka Bekko or Aka Sanshoku. He then states that: "Today, however, the Goshiki come from an Asagi X Taisho Sanshoku cross". ... No Kohaku originally.

Very little consistency.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Here's a couple to throw around.

Maurice.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    And here's a poor picture of the sakai goshiki MikeM refered to. I would say it is around 90cm.

Maurice.

Thanks Maurice,

Funnily enough, there's a picture of this goshiki in issue #7. Quite a coincidence! :wink:
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Bern- Miya

Bern-

Could it be Shinichi Miya(Miyakoya Ltd.)?

Mike

Tosai
    Hi,
    Just a pic of my goshiki thats all.
    Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12