Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: To Feed OR not To Feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Dear Yerrag;
    In Iran Azoo is the most available and easily find food. the other foods are also some expensive but Azoo has 2 packages "growth plus" and "color enhancer". I personally think when feeding color food to fish it start to develop unexpected colors on the scales and the body of the fish.

Ingredients of Azoo is
    Wheat Germ, Krill, Yeast Powder, Shrimp Powder, White Fish Powder, Soy Bean Powder, PSB, Enzyme, Spirulina Extract, Glucan, Multivitamins and Minerals

may be the reddish of food and Poop is because of krill. Of course if the ingredients is true and the Food contain krill.
    Hi Reza, the ingredients are like that of Azoo sold in Manila. And price-wise, it is very competitive, and is priced much much lower than the popular imported brands here - Koi King, and Aquamaster. I was glad to see it sold, and the fact that it is made in Taiwan, and not China, seemed a big plus to me.

I also thought that the coloring must be from having krill as a main ingredient. But I could not understand why koi, cat, and turtle are all unanimous in their negativity. And I would see plenty of red koi waste settling at the filter sump. Why would the red color stay with the poop? Everything else turns brown, what is with this koi food? It has no smell, but it still smells funny to me in this sort of way. I now highly doubt krill is a main ingredient. I'm staying away. It smells fishy hmmm...

I would use this only if you supplement it with something else. I buy small fish at the market and my koi eats them. The more oil in the fish, the more koi will love them. I also buy dried krill and feed it to them. I also feed them coconut meat and avocado when in season and prices are low. I don't know the prices in Iran. It may or may not be practical cost-wise. This is something I know I can't do in the US, but I can do this in Manila.
    Reza likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Hi Reza, the ingredients are like that of Azoo sold in Manila. And price-wise, it is very competitive, and is priced much much lower than the popular imported brands here - Koi King, and Aquamaster.
    I recently got some Aqua Master Growth (40% protein) to try out. What do the Manila Koi hobbyists think of Aqua Master?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I recently got some Aqua Master Growth (40% protein) to try out. What do the Manila Koi hobbyists think of Aqua Master?
    My impression of its new formula (beginning last year) is based on just on 2 10kg bags of usage. I haven't had long-term usage to base on. It is now made in Shenzen, China, instead of Taiwan.

Compared to Koi King, it has a tendency to make the water more cloudy as it would disintegrate more readily. It isn't formulated in a way that when wetted, would turn gel-like and rubbery, which is how Koi King would behave. This is the reason the water is more turbid after feeding, when Aquamaster is used. That said, it isn't quite a deal breaker for me as long as the water circulation in my pond is optimal. By that, I mean that koi waste and suspended particles quickly settle to the bottom drain, instead of being regurgitated by conflicting currents from the TPR and the diffuser, and what not.

To me, it is one thing to make koi food so that water is clear, and another thing to make koi food so that it doesn't interfere with koi digestion. The appearance of cleanliness and water clarity could very well cloud the way a koi food is evaluated. There is an instant positive evaluation where water clarity is being judged, and this often becomes associated with food quality. And this so often becomes the case with ponds where water circulation is a jumbled mess. And my personal feeling is that most ponds are made that way, and stay that way.

However, this is not to say that Koi King is poor quality. It certainly does a better job with water clarity. I just don't feel comfortable with the way Koi King is formulated. It becomes rubbery when wet, and I just have no idea what substance is added. It is their trade secret I suppose, but being left in the dark on this doesn't sit well with me. With Azoo, the rubberiness is even worse. What goes on in the koi's gut isn't too difficult for me to imagine. There is a good reason why we don't eat bubble gum or chewing gum.

Aquamaster doesn't have this rubbery feel when wet, but neither does it disintegrate so quickly like the local Philippine brands such as Sante and Yuri. The binder it uses isn't as cheap or the machinery and process used in manufacture is better designed and run. To me, it strikes a good balance between conflicting goals.

I know for sure there is plenty of koi waste with Azoo. I really haven't recalled Koi King's waste being significantly more than Aquamaster's, but it was probably not so striking for me to notice. I have complained about Aquamaster before, especially after it reformulated and changed origin from Taiwan to China. But having tested competing products mentioned above, I feel I would rather take my chances with it than the rest.

Note that I have used the old growth formula of Aquamaster for two years and my koi has developed well. However, I was careful to tell Samuel, its Philippine distributor, that I also feed coconut, avocado, fresh fish, dried krill, and also use my own koi food enzyme, so I really can't attribute my good experience all to Aquamaster.

Hi Reza, the ingredients are like that of Azoo sold in Manila. And price-wise, it is very competitive, and is priced much much lower than the popular imported brands here - Koi King, and Aquamaster. I was glad to see it sold, and the fact that it is made in Taiwan, and not China, seemed a big plus to me.

I also thought that the coloring must be from having krill as a main ingredient. But I could not understand why koi, cat, and turtle are all unanimous in their negativity. And I would see plenty of red koi waste settling at the filter sump. Why would the red color stay with the poop? Everything else turns brown, what is with this koi food? It has no smell, but it still smells funny to me in this sort of way. I now highly doubt krill is a main ingredient. I'm staying away. It smells fishy hmmm...

I would use this only if you supplement it with something else. I buy small fish at the market and my koi eats them. The more oil in the fish, the more koi will love them. I also buy dried krill and feed it to them. I also feed them coconut meat and avocado when in season and prices are low. I don't know the prices in Iran. It may or may not be practical cost-wise. This is something I know I can't do in the US, but I can do this in Manila.
    Aazoo is also made in Taiwan, this is what has written on the package. I personally never ever feed Chinese made food for any kind of pets. The price of 1 or 2 avocado is as same as 1.0kg Azoo package(7.81$). Today I found some JBL koi foods two times expensive then Azoo. I used color enhancer foods but the wastes was red and developed red spots on head and scales on white body based fishes. i also feed several days dried lettuce leafs , Poops become complete green.some times they eat string algae on that time their Poop is also Green.

My impression of its new formula (beginning last year) is based on just on 2 10kg bags of usage. I haven't had long-term usage to base on. It is now made in Shenzen, China, instead of Taiwan.

With Azoo, the rubberiness is even worse. What goes on in the koi's gut isn't too difficult for me to imagine. There is a good reason why we don't eat bubble gum or chewing gum.
    It is may be interesting that Azoo has claim : "AZOO GROWTH PLUSKOI FOOD also includes ingredients that effectively decompose digestedsubstances in the body, which reduces fish waste and water pollution"

also:

NOTES:
    The display color of the item and its packaging could differ from the
    actual product due to users' monitors settings.

The Azoo food I used years ago was not colored red. It was greenish brown and the koi loved it. It seems there has been quite a change in the formulation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The Azoo food I used years ago was not colored red. It was greenish brown and the koi loved it. It seems there has been quite a change in the formulation.
    I am starting to wonder what form of "krill" is used in the AZOO ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Azoo main two food ingredients:

AZOO Top Color Koi Food AZOO Growth Plus Koi Food
    Crude Protein: 35%(Min.) Crude Protein: 35%(Min.)
    Crude Fat: 3%(Min.) Crude Fat: 3%(Min.)
    Crude Fiber: 3%(Max.) Crude Fiber: 4%(Max.)
    Moisture: 10%(Max.) Moisture: 10%(Max.)
    Ash: 15%(Max.) Ash: 15%(Max.)
    Wheat Germ Wheat Germ
    Krill Krill
    Carotenoids Yeast Powder
    Yeast Powder Shrimp Powder
    Shirmp Powder White Fish Powder
    White Fish Powder Soy Bean powder
    Soy Bean Powder PSB
    PSB Enzyme
    Enzyme Spirulina Extract
    Spirulina Extract Glucan
    Glucan Multi-vitamins
    Multi-vitamins Minerals
    Minerals

I like Koi foods with fish meal as the top ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    It is may be interesting that Azoo has claim : "AZOO GROWTH PLUSKOI FOOD also includes ingredients that effectively decompose digestedsubstances in the body, which reduces fish waste and water pollution"

also:

NOTES:
    The display color of the item and its packaging could differ from the
    actual product due to users' monitors settings.
    I saw that too. Words are cheap it seems. I had to add plenty of digestive enzymes to enable better digestion and reduce koi waste.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast