Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9th Dainichi Auction! April 27th

9th Dainichi Auction! April 27th

It's time for more eye candy.

SFF and Momotaro auctions have been completed, now on to my favorite place to visit.

http://www.dainichikoifarm.com/

A lot of nice male tosai available, I'm guessing there will be some breeders at this thing trying to get oyagoi.

Special 01 (sanke) and Special 06 (showa) keep catching my eye. Both will be expensive, I'm a going to be there to take in the experience of a major breeder auction.

Will see how they look in the flesh and maybe put a bid in. Dainichi Toyota has a couple good looking female tosai available as well but are not pictured yet.

Duc
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

I'm looking forward to your report on the auction excitement, Duc. ...And, happy you have recovered to make the trip!

Wonderful koi all.... a real treat. The Benigoi out of Monster 3 and Monster 2 stand out just because they are non-gosanke. I am wondering how many Benigoi Dainichi decided to keep, why these two are up for auction, etc. It has me curious. The idea of keeping Benigoi out of Showa has me wondering. It seems to me that usually the Benigoi we see kept by breeders to be out of Kohaku spawns. Why these?

Last year, our dealer brought in a few dainichi benigoi from showa spawn. Their benigoi are not the same as coming from kohaku spawn. Their benigoi have a different beni look(more deep pink beni) with a body to envy and ability to grow. They dont produce much every year and the shortage of supply has made them quite expensive for a benigoi. Auctioning some benigoi seem logical to get the most profit out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Last year, our dealer brought in a few dainichi benigoi from showa spawn. Their benigoi are not the same as coming from kohaku spawn. Their benigoi have a different beni look(more deep pink beni) with a body to envy and ability to grow. They dont produce much every year and the shortage of supply has made them quite expensive for a benigoi. Auctioning some benigoi seem logical to get the most profit out of them.
    Dainichi has produced some great looking hi utsuri and now benigoi from their showa spawns. The beni is truly something to behold on some of their showas and I think keeping benigoi from these spawns is pretty cool as it is a point of differentiation. I would not be surprised to see this from other breeders soon.

I'll ask Shigeru this weekend when I get a chance to talk with him on this to get his point of view.

Duc

Please do, Duc.

Seems a bit silly to go to Dainichi to talk about Benigoi when some of the best gosanke in the world are produced by them. But, it is the fact that Dainichi invests resources in Benigoi out of Showa that makes it 'news'.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Please do, Duc.

Seems a bit silly to go to Dainichi to talk about Benigoi when some of the best gosanke in the world are produced by them. But, it is the fact that Dainichi invests resources in Benigoi out of Showa that makes it 'news'.
    Hi Mike

Spoke to Shigeru yesterday before the organized chaos which is their auction. Answer was simply that he likes the deeper beni and deeper body from his showa, differentiating them from the kohaku spawns. He likes the look of a benigoi to add a unique look to ponds and since so many people like them, he keeps them around now. They were throwing them out during sembetsu but have found a market for them so look for more of these in the near future.

Duc

I know a number of breeders will keep a few Benigoi or some other odd-ball that pops up just to have something different to perk up the interest of a customer. So, to me the big deal here is that Dainichi finds a different Beni on the Benigoi thrown in their Showa spawns and it is a deeper red. That really could be a big deal. The typical Higoi/Benigoi has a rather insipid shade of orange-red that is rather flat, lacking lustre. The fish often gets a coarse, worn look before attaining much size. If Dainichi can produce a by-product with thicker pigment and better lustre that can hold as the koi grows, it would be a worthy addition to a serious koikeeper's pond and a source of profit. Everybody wins.

Now I'm wondering if these can hold up through 80 or 85cm.

Sacicu: Have you been able to observe how they do in your climate as they grow large?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I know a number of breeders will keep a few Benigoi or some other odd-ball that pops up just to have something different to perk up the interest of a customer. So, to me the big deal here is that Dainichi finds a different Beni on the Benigoi thrown in their Showa spawns and it is a deeper red. That really could be a big deal. The typical Higoi/Benigoi has a rather insipid shade of orange-red that is rather flat, lacking lustre. The fish often gets a coarse, worn look before attaining much size. If Dainichi can produce a by-product with thicker pigment and better lustre that can hold as the koi grows, it would be a worthy addition to a serious koikeeper's pond and a source of profit. Everybody wins.

Now I'm wondering if these can hold up through 80 or 85cm.

Sacicu: Have you been able to observe how they do in your climate as they grow large?
    I did observe its beni and luster receeding a little in warmer waters and as the benigoi grows but it was still better than cheaper benigoi from other breeders spawned from Kohaku.

Now I'll be keeping my eyes open for a Dainichi Benigoi. LOL

I am bringing up this thread because a question has occurred to me.

Since Showa breeding involves keeping only Kuroki long before any red pigment can be observed, wouldn't Benigoi from Showa be Hi Utsuri that are not showing their black base? ...In other words, are these Dainichi Benigoi actually black base koi developed from Kuroki????

Duc: More questions for when you next visit Dainichi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast