Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Color Food

What I see so often is average Koi hobbyist who buy only 5 pounds of Koi food at a time. When it is time to purchase a bag of Koi food, they think; What the hell, I will pay a couple dollars more for the premium color food. Many also believe that color food may improve the appearance of low quality Koi.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    What I see so often is average Koi hobbyist who buy only 5 pounds of Koi food at a time. When it is time to purchase a bag of Koi food, they think; What the hell, I will pay a couple dollars more for the premium color food. Many also believe that color food may improve the appearance of low quality Koi.
    There is nothing really wrong with that. To a certain degree some color food contain higher amounts of spirulina and astaxanthin(either the synthetic or the natural ones) as compared to regular koi food. Whether the effects on a particular cheap tateshita will be evident or not will really depend on the koi. Some early culls(often males with good skin with luster to begin with) but compromised on some areas such as pattern, body or growth potentials I noticed do get some benefits (at least on the short term) when fed some kind of color food. On the other hand some tateshitas that have dull skin to begin may benefit some increase in pigmentation but the dullness will still be there or in fact get worst after fed some color food.

I used to join growouts and select ones that have a good body to grow on a short growout period with a skin that have some luster and softness to it. Pattern, color and sex is not really that important. For the first several months, I would just feed growth feeds. Once Ive reached an acceptable size and girth with skin stretching almost to the point of almost color is light, I would then shift to color food to bring out its color back. Afterwhich I would cleanup the shiroji and bring out the shine with some special technique and try to reduce the girth to make the skin tighten up. From the time I stop the feed growth food, the koi should not grow too much. So far works well for me. Afterwhich I would sell the koi as it has served its purpose.

For long term higher quality skin female koi, I just mix a little color with growth without much the hassle of preparation or trying to push the koi in any way either by growing it too quickly or finishing it too quickly either. I do find some color food helpful in warmer months as the antioxidant properties of color food(the good ones) are much higher and protect the koi skin from prematurely aging while maintaining or lessen the effects of sunlight in a clear concrete pond. In somewhat cooler months, I find color food requirement in higher quality koi is lesser. Feeding more seem to waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    There is nothing really wrong with that. To a certain degree some color food contain higher amounts of spirulina and astaxanthin(either the synthetic or the natural ones) as compared to regular koi food. Whether the effects on a particular cheap tateshita will be evident or not will really depend on the koi. Some early culls(often males with good skin with luster to begin with) but compromised on some areas such as pattern, body or growth potentials I noticed do get some benefits (at least on the short term) when fed some kind of color food. On the other hand some tateshitas that have dull skin to begin may benefit some increase in pigmentation but the dullness will still be there or in fact get worst after fed some color food.
    There is when, at a Koi club meeting, members are discussing different Koi foods and one club member goes into great detail how they were using "X" brand of Koi food and they recently switch to "Y" brand Koi food and noticed how much better their Koi looked. They went on and on how much better the "color" was and they were paying more money for "X" brand Koi food. When asked what they meant by "color", they said the whites were much whiter. So I asked; What exactly was the Koi food you were using? Answer: "X" Color Food. The new food was "Y" Koi Food.
    Most of the Koi club members were surprised to find out that the more expensive "color" Koi food could mess with the white on Koi.

There is when, at a Koi club meeting, members are discussing different Koi foods and one club member goes into great detail how they were using "X" brand of Koi food and they recently switch to "Y" brand Koi food and noticed how much better their Koi looked. They went on and on how much better the "color" was and they were paying more money for "X" brand Koi food. When asked what they meant by "color", they said the whites were much whiter. So I asked; What exactly was the Koi food you were using? Answer: "X" Color Food. The new food was "Y" Koi Food.
    Most of the Koi club members were surprised to find out that the more expensive "color" Koi food could mess with the white on Koi.
    Not all color food are equal. A favorite of many is the color food that when fed gives an instant stronger coloration and causes shiroji to yellow or turn to pink as quick as 1 to 2 weeks and some koi like even shiro utsuri suddenly would unexpectedly get some secondary hi. Then there are color food brands that are seem slow acting and slowly builds up or maintain color of the koi as the koi grows without any problems on the shiroji. However many hobbyist find these kind of color food ineffective after just trying out just a few without doing any longer term observation.

My color food comes from mixing spirulina (from spirulina capsules that you get from pharmacies) as one of the ingredients, to my paste food.

Tim,

Have you tried Saki-Hikari DEEP RED?

You ought to give it a try if you have not.

I don't mean mixing a little with your regular staple diet.
    No I haven't used it. I am on my fourth year with a particular food study. Might be completed in the next 10 years or so.... Long term study.

But thank you.

Like you have found, I find that many hobbyists are basically ignorant to what they're feeding their koi, much less koi nutrition and food ingredients. I don't consider the opinions of every hobbyist as being equal.

So many opinions... I always enjoy reading thu them, Thanks Mike.

Just for something to think about when it comes to spirulina...there are five grades. None of which are mentioned in the koi food ingredience list. so while it may be an ingredient, we don't know which quality level has been added. Also the shelf life is accepted as 6 months from harvest to sale for production.. So when a manufacturer/name brand makes it's purchase has alot to do with it' potency. Many companies make their purchase as the product is closer to expiring as the price becomes less.

manufacturing process and even how the end user protects the product from oxidation can also create variables.do you know the difference in manufacturing floating verses sinking and how that affects it's potency? Where is spirulina mainly produced and what nation buys most of the production for resale? If your a health food addict you know the expense it can be for human consumption.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    No I haven't used it. I am on my fourth year with a particular food study. Might be completed in the next 10 years or so.... Long term study.
    But thank you.
    Andy says you only have to feed Saki-Hikari DEEP RED for one month in the summer to see results.

Andy says you only have to feed Saki-Hikari DEEP RED for one month in the summer to see results.

Use it how? As a mix in the regular food or 100% deep red only ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast