Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Color Food

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    I am not sure what you meant by good beni for a 9 month old tosai for a local breeder. Were the koi grown as jumbo tosai? Wer the koi fast finishing males? Were the beni soft and shiny and perhaps transluscent or the hard beni type often mistaken as "good beni" but one that wont last?
    I was making an observation that even without pushing to maximize beni development with the use of color enhancing food during the tosai phase, beni was still respectable. In tropical weather. Using low-cost commercial koi pellets. That at the very least gives me a reasonable baseline as far as expectations go.

The points you raise as far as quality of beni is concerned go deeper. If you are asking if the quality of beni would compare well with Japanese bred koi from the Big 3, the answer is no. The local breeder has not refined his art to that level nor is he blessed with the osmotic influence of being around masters in breathing the Niigata air.

Actually there were several high grade koi that competed for GC that were brought in 2 to 3 months prior to the show.

Actually, in Japan, many breeders employ color for tosai and nisai when water is somewhat colder as 18 to 21C from what I have been told and then fast to brighten up the shiroji. During summer growing season when they feed a lot, the colors of koi are more or less same as ours as the koi grow. So in a way, there is truth that koi from Japan will have brighter and deeper color as compared to koi that stays in constant warm weather without much cold to rest the metabolism of the koi
    Good job winning the GC against recent imports from Japan. He must be feeding well and caring for water very well. He must have figured out how to care for his koi well even in tropical conditions. Hope to see the showa competing on a high level continually in the years to come. Will be even more remarkable if he doesn't have to resort to the use of chillers to cool the water. If he manages to do that, he has found a way to adapt koi raising to tropical conditions.

I was thinking that it would be better that koi beni be encouraged to develop first, and with a good beni developed for its stage, koi can then go through a period of rapid growth. This would be in contrast to letting a koi grow fast and making the beni stretch, and then go thru a consolidating phase later. Stretching and consolidating seems risky, as stretching and compromising the beni may not allow the beni to repair well. It is like playing dice.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Good job winning the GC against recent imports from Japan. He must be feeding well and caring for water very well. He must have figured out how to care for his koi well even in tropical conditions. Hope to see the showa competing on a high level continually in the years to come. Will be even more remarkable if he doesn't have to resort to the use of chillers to cool the water. If he manages to do that, he has found a way to adapt koi raising to tropical conditions.

I was thinking that it would be better that koi beni be encouraged to develop first, and with a good beni developed for its stage, koi can then go through a period of rapid growth. This would be in contrast to letting a koi grow fast and making the beni stretch, and then go thru a consolidating phase later. Stretching and consolidating seems risky, as stretching and compromising the beni may not allow the beni to repair well. It is like playing dice.
    The GC was grown without any use of chiller for more than a year before the koi show. It was not fed any color enhancing pellet and in fact fed with 2 year old stock high quality pellets.

There is only risk with growing koi with bad hard weak beni to begin with. Even if you encourage these kind of beni to develop, once you rapidly grow these koi the result will be the same. Likewise thin beni to begin with combined with poor genetics would have problems as well.

Likewise thin beni to begin with combined with poor genetics would have problems as well.
    Is there any other kind? Is there thin beni combined with good genetics?

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Is there any other kind? Is there thin beni combined with good genetics?
    The way I see it there are some koi whose skin looks immature and slow to finish over a long period of time. This confuses some hobbyist on the true quality of the bloodline once its skin finishes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234