Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Pink' Beni

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Excuse me a little while I take a trip to the flea market to find myself a remarkable piece of ruby. Failing in that, I may try a pawnshop with one left unclaimed by a hardscrabble aristocratic matron. If I succeed, I would still have to mechanically dull the ruby so that the crystal sheen does not detract from using it to compare its color to that of a pink beni koi. No matter, we will one day be able to demystify the 'pink beni,' thanks to everyone finding a piece of readily accessible gemstone.
    Hahaha. No need to dull the ruby. I would suggest you go visit a dealer that brings in 100% pink beni INC sanke of very high quality skin to know what I am talking about. Last December my dealer brought in one that I can say is a 100% high quality skin pink beni INC sanke. The quality of the skin is the same as the one posted in koiquestions http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6NzqcvQ_Q3A

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Hahaha. No need to dull the ruby. I would suggest you go visit a dealer that brings in 100% pink beni INC sanke of very high quality skin to know what I am talking about. Last December my dealer brought in one that I can say is a 100% high quality skin pink beni INC sanke. The quality of the skin is the same as the one posted in koiquestions http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6NzqcvQ_Q3A
    That certainly raises the bar for me after having seen the video. And I may not need to dull the ruby. There is a certain iridescent quality to it as well which I would mistake for DayGlo neon colors. Or should I say 'associate' instead of 'mistake?' I would prefer the video shows it totally submerged, as the reflection off its back makes it harder to distinguish the saturation from the reflection off its scales. But beni of such hue is a huge differentiator, as most of the rest pit against it in a show would looks pedestrian compared to it. By its uniqueness at this point it stands to have a strong edge. It makes the rest more orange than red.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Russ doesn't post here for reasons that go back many years. If you get his attention, see what his take is.
    I contacted Russ on Facebook. He reminded me that he wrote an article for KOI USA magazine that explained where the term "pink beni" came from and what it means.

I reread the article... good article, I had forgot that "pink beni" is just a type of beni like "persimmon" and "yellow" beni.
    Pink beni is a darker, purple based, beni, not really what many of us think is "pink".

My pink beni Kohaku from Toshio Sakai. Video is from last year at 72cm. Now over 80cm.

Many thanks for sharing the photos and videos. The videos from MikeM, sacicu, and HenryC, don't necessarily come off giving a consistent depiction of what a pink beni is. I attribute it to variations in lighting, optics, and settings in the capture device. All the more reason to see pink beni in person to truly appreciate it.

Or it could be that pink beni speaks more to the high saturation (or chroma) levels of the red pigmentation rather than to the hue (orange-red to bluish-red). The higher the saturation of a color, the less impurities on it. The impurities to red are combinations of green and blue (forming the additive primaries of red, green, and blue) that add a touch of gray, pulling down the saturation of the red. So, in this sense, there is no particular hue to the red that can consistently be defined as pink red. And in this sense, so long as the red is very intense in saturation, it can be considered pink red. I'm just guessing again, but since in the real world pink is a tint (mixing white with a color) of an intense red, pink is used to describe this association with an intense red. It has to be an intense red to make pink, otherwise it would not be a pretty kind of pink.

Then again, is the saturation of red enough? Or should there be an iridescent quality to that red? Or does the iridescent quality naturally come with the high saturation?

Henry's INC Kohaku is quite special seen in person. My favorite koi in his collection is a Dainichi Kohaku. When the two are seen next to one another, the Dainichi appears orange. The INC appears red. ....Beautiful, Henry.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Henry's INC Kohaku is quite special seen in person. My favorite koi in his collection is a Dainichi Kohaku. When the two are seen next to one another, the Dainichi appears orange. The INC appears red. ....Beautiful, Henry.
    That must be quite a sight to behold. Especially in natural daylight.

I'm reminded of a koi show I went to this year where practically all the koi's beni jumped at me, appearing to be what I now learn to be pink beni. I turned around to find the lighting to be arrays of bulbs in red, green and blue, configured to give such an effect. No need for Photoshop, it doesn't need to be tweaked anymore. I would hate to have a pink beni koi in that show. If all the koi are made to look equally nice by artificial lighting, how would a novice learn to appreciate koi?

Mike mentioned earlier in this thread that Mat Mc Cann was also producing Pink beni. Mat and Toshio as his teacher go back to the start of quality Koi and Joe Zuritsky's start up purchase of breeding stock. Over the years Mat has gone back to Japan and updated genes from INC.

Toshio as a breeder has contribted greatly to the hobby probably best known for his remixing of basic carp blood to re-envigorate size and shape as the culture, which had maxed out it's potential. I particularly liked his midori goromo variety which never really caught on but were beautiful in my eyes.

I think bottom line, besides the marketing, we might want to see how well this beni is being accepted in national shows. It has been awhile since INC has taken top honors there. Still, as Mike mentions about Henry's INC and Dainich viewing of side by side fish, It's a beautiful contribution and I'm sure other breeders besides Mat will be using those genes to bring something new to their own efforts.

As I read thru this thread I thought even with pictures of henry's two, side by side, you have to see it in person to appreciate it, and I certainly do.
    Dick Benbow

What I have experienced is that pink beni is not as stable
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    What I have experienced is that pink beni is not as stable
    Regards
    Eugene
    What did you experience Eugene? Can you share specifics?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast