Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How they could raise koi to 1 Meter?

Got her as 5 year old 72 cm 2 years ago on May 2013. . She was 81 cm last year May 2014 with an impacted tooth.Now at 7 years old she is 90 cm and shows no signs of slowing down in the growth department. My feeling is that she will be 1 meter. Time will tell. I just hope she will put some meat after she gets there .

April 2013

April 28th 2014 80 cm with an impacted tooth abscess.

May 17th 90 cm and no signs of slowing down

Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Almost 1 meter by a hair . She was 81 cm and 6 years old on October 2010 when I bought her.

First picture on October 2010 32.5 years old at 73 cm
    Second photo June 2012 48 months old at 94 cm
    video on June 2013 at 5 years old 60 months old and 101 cm

Fish was 107 cm last September 2014 when she was last measured .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How they could raise koi to 1 Meter?-karashigoi-73cm-10-2010-.jpg   How they could raise koi to 1 Meter?-18_jumbo_7d_02580.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by APOLONASGR36 View Post
    First picture on October 2010 32.5 years old at 73 cm
    Second photo June 2012 48 months old at 94 cm
    video on June 2013 at 5 years old 60 months old and 101 cm
    John Thanks for sharing your fishes and videos, I will wait to see how that sanke will grow out. Actually I am wondering about the situation that help to those fishes reach to their potential.

LOL.... First, get a lot of helpers! How very true. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    LOL.... First, get a lot of helpers! How very true. Loved it.
    Dear Mike, You know English is not my first language, so sometimes it is hard to understand meanings of sentences. But I am so thankful for everyone who spent time in reading and answering and try to help me bu their knowledge and experiences.

Thanks for everyone.

Reza he was replying jokingly to the Karashigoi's video " how to pack and transport a 101 cm Karashigoi"
    Now to your Question. The answers I believe were given to you.

1) Genetics . Find koi that come from jumbo parents / bloodline . Then look for the tale tale signs of a koi that has inherited the Jumbo genes of her parents . She has to have the proper large bone structure, head and body shape as well as appropriate proportions.

2) Environmental conditions.

Appropriate healthy pond water with plenty of fresh water (preferably trickling 24/7), plenty of mechanical and biological filtration that can handle plenty of feeding of good nutritional food, as steady as possible water and temperature parameters with slow changes. If you have good quality water and you can feed them several times a day over a long stretch of the day then you are 3/4 of the way there . For my bigger girls I do 6 times a day every 3 hours starting at 6 am and last feeding at 9 pm (15 hour days) The boys get 11 feedings of half the food every 1,5 hours from 5:30 pm to 9 pm . Male koi do not feed extensively and spend a lot of energy swimming so less food per feeding time feeding twice as many times (this is perfect for small tosai as I feed them every hour 18 hours a day. (all day long basically) . Everything has to be a routine both feeding as well as maintenance . I do not add or subtract times of feeding just lower or add the amount of food throughout all the feedings. Fish have internal clocks it seems to me because 10 minutes before feeding they start circling the feeder when the rest of the time they hardly pass or hang out by the feeder.

3) luck
    You can pick the best fish with the best indicators and it still may not to be a huge grower. It can face health issues . You can make a mistake and kill them, have a mechanical failure, they have an internal defect that shows up at 3-4 years of age etc. It is not easy to grow and maintain large fish if you do are not prepare to do what it takes to get them there. and it takes a lot of diligent work as well as a bigger expense than average to get the environment to be up the par for them

Alot depends on the fish it makes a diffrence if it is a chagoi or a gosanke. Very few high quality gosanke are produced in Japan. It does help if there are large high quality parents and if some ten million fry are produced yearly but there are few breeders that have the capebilities. Even if produced they will not be for sale or a fish that is of high quality and has the potential is going to cost over a $100,000.00
    So I would not worry about it if you do not have the money and facilities to keep it
    Regards
    Eugene

I think 100 thousand dollars to get high quality jumbo gosanke is too much. There are a few gosanke koi that have high quality skin with the ability to grow jumbo except that their pattern may not just appeal to the majority of the hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    I think 100 thousand dollars to get high quality jumbo gosanke is too much. There are a few gosanke koi that have high quality skin with the ability to grow jumbo except that their pattern may not just appeal to the majority of the hobbyist.
    Jumbo is 80cm and a meter is 100cm so one can get a lot of nisai that have jumbo potential and a very high quality under 10 thousand gosanke.
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast