Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: water conservation requirement and restriction & new way to conserve water?

water conservation requirement and restriction & new way to conserve water?

A koi friend informed me last night that he is in process of closing up his koi pond due to the new water conservation requirements and restrictions to conserve the water here in California.

Sad to see any koi hobbyist to end up that way. I just wonder what have you done or changed to the way you normally done for maintenance your pond to keep your pond water in good condition for your lovely koi at the same time to conserve the water?

Best,
    --Dinh
    Last edited by dinh; 06-09- at 02:19 PM.

while I can appreciate your friend's intent to sacrifice for the greater good, if the fish go elsewhere, someone will be using water to keep them going. So maybe you really haven't contributed much after all!.

feeding for existence instead of maximum growth may have to be used to get you and your koi thru the water restrictions.You may want to consider feeding smaller amounts of higher protein feeds instead of minimum protein stuff.Many newer feeds with additives make for better and through digestion creating less waste. If you have fish in japan, you may wish to raise them there another year instead of bringing them home this fall. I won't suggest not buying more koi
    as that could mean an additional hardship on a favorite dealer. I'd ask and see if they have a plan B that would allow you to own a Koi under their care. ( they may have a well or spring or other access to water.)
    I hope the hobby can get thru this....
    Dick Benbow

The amount of water changes can be reduced. Lower stocking and feeding levels can help accomplish this without sacrificing too much.

I am aware of some koikeepers who have begun to use low dose potassium permanganate treatments to reduce dissolved organics in order to reduce the frequency/amount of water changes. It would be best IMO for this sort of water rejuvenation to be done in separate tanks away from the koi, but I realize that space, cost and work effort limits how many would set-up a separation rejuvenation system. And, using PP does not eliminate the need for water changes. It just extends how long one can go.

If I was in California, I suspect I would allow nitrate levels to be higher than the 'no more than 5ppm' standard I set for myself. If instead of 16 koi, I limited myself to 10; and I set-up a separate 2000 gallon tank for PP rejuvenation a couple of times per week; and I allowed nitrate to go to 10ppm; and I eased back on feeding a little, I think the 5,000 gallons I replace each week would plummet ....maybe to around 1500? Perhaps a little less?

Thanks Dinh, you have started a useful thread. It is almost many peoples problem in Iran we have 80 Million peoples but Iran has almost enough water for 30 million people drink and agriculture use. I ave a friend he is living in one of the driest desire. Yazd has just 62 millimeters average annual precipitation. I modeled what I seen in his backyard.

the out let of bio filter goes to a little tank with 2 outlet on goes back to pond the other one goes to pomp and flows water from a medium size RO machine (RO outlet TDS is about 1000 ppm (Tap water TDS: 1200~1450 )) then adding Ozone this make water more fresher and soft and deposit water in 3000 liters thank. This process takes 16 hours and and by this way he can change 3000 once a week. This mean there is no necessary weekly use 3000 liter for tap water for water change only 500 ~ 600 liters are used. on that time he was tried to installing a Septic tank on bath and kitchens drain to re use their water . but I don't know he could or not.

The main "+" score is its installed RO system that it has not many waste of water and drain.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails water conservation requirement and restriction & new way to conserve water?-untitled.jpg  

Based on my own experience in improving my pond, I can say that the following helped :

1. Improving settlement of waste on the sump by converting to a swirl filter
    2. The use of siphon to remove settlement, thereby eliminating the need to drain water to waste.
    3. Improving the efficiency of mechanical filtration, changing from brush filter to a k1 static bed filter, which paved the way for..
    4. The implementation of an anoxic filtration system. This was done by a gradual phaseout of the nitrification-based jap mat biofilter, where a hybrid system was used initially, combining an anoxic chamber with a subsequent stage jap mat chamber. The lowered nitrate values lessened the frequency of water changes.
    5. The use of a pump to draw water from the pond filter and connecting it to the garden water line for garden irrigation. This has allowed the garden to benefit from the ammonia-laden water which acts as fertilizer, and allowed new water to be added to the pond from the mains ( with an injector attached to the mains line to add sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate). No mains water is directly used to irrigate the garden.

Water waste is minimized.

Here is a link to get an idea of a radial flow filter (which I called a swirl filter earlier, rightly or wrongly):

http://www.ecofilms.com.au/diy-radia...or-aquaponics/

My settlement chamber wasn't large enough for much solids to settle since there was only a short retention time ( .54m³ settlement chamber with flow rate of 10,000 m³/hr, giving a retention time of 3.24 minutes) as based on a vortex filter's requirements.

Not only was my settlement chamber not a cylinder with a cone-shaped bottom to be called a vortex filter, it was just square viewed from the top, making settlement more challenging.

By converting into a radial flow filter, settlement improved greatly. The large amount of settlement made for less solids going to the mechanical filtration stage. The large amount of settlement made for a highly satisfying manual siphoning session.

I must mention that siphoning is much easier, if not downright only possible, if the pond and filter level is above grade. Many ponds are built ground-level, so siphoning may be a challenge. This goes without saying that this is one advantage of above-grade pond design.