Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments on reaing koi fry in green water.

The shrimp are so small they go right through my brine shrimp net. I even tried 500micron microscreen. So I just mix the quart of water with about a gallon of pond water and dump them in. Salt and all. Since larger koi can tolerate the salt up to 3pounds per 100 gallons, I didn't think it would be a problem, but I want to make sure. This is a trial spawning for me anyway. Practice for the real thing next spring.

So you harvest your shrip 96 hours after they hatch ? Are they bigger at that size ? Are you feeding the shrimp anything after they hatch ? I read that they become less nutritious the longer they go because they are feeding on their yolksac.

I am using 2 two quart bottles, and harvesting every 24 hours. I get alot of shrimp this way but they are very small. As long as growing the shrimp to a larger size is not dangerous to the koi, Id like to try it.

I cant get green water to save my life. I will keep looking for a formula that is fish friendly.

Tategoi
    I feed the hatch to the fry daily. I do not feed the newly hatched brine shrimp. They are used immediately, and I have noticed that they continue to squirm and hour or two after they are introduced into the fresh water. This is good, as the young fry are sight feeders at this stage and it stimulates them to eat. The brine shrimp net that I purchased is like a white silvery cloth and works very well with the newly hatched artemia.

Nisai

brine shrimp harvesting

Newly hatched brine shrimp are much more nutritious than older shrimp. An analogy would be the difference between alfalfa sprouts and seedlings. When they are newly hatched, the brine shrimp larva contain a rich drop of oil, like the yolk sac on fry fish. Like the fry, they burn it up while maturing enough to feed on external nutrients. You loose much of the value of the live food by not using the brine shrimp right away. It isn't dangerous, but it is a waste.

If you want green water, don't start with mature pond water (unless the pond is going through an algea bloom). Get fresh well or tap water and aerate or dechlor as needed. Mature ponds seem to resist algea blooms, probably because either the biofilter bacteria or the beneficial blanket algea give off inhibitors for single-cell algea. Fresh poultry manure is the traditional fertilizer used to kick-start blooms in grow out ponds.
    Lynne in St. Louis

Tategoi
    Lynne is right,

first filling was with the mature pond water and was unsuccesful. Next filling was directly from well and was green in 4 days.

what kind of fertalizers would be fish safe and make the pond go green ? I have a whole case of miracle grow rose food.

How turbulent of water is too much fry ? I made up a pump intake out of aluminium window screen for my 475gph pump. I put it in the hatching pond (500) gallons, and set it so the entire pond would vortex. I observed the koi fry for about 5 minutes and it looked as tho they were having a hard time keeping up with the flow, so I shut it off. Only circulation right now is two 48" bubblecurtains.

Tategoi
    Hey Greg

(DO NOT USE MIRACLE GROW) :shock: I know many of the tropical fish farmers down here and I will ask them what they use.

The curtain bubblers are plenty of circulation. If u want to add filtration but are woried about to much turbulance with the return, just make a spray bar to return the water from the top plus it will also add to airation.

Good luck, Kiefer

I was thinking about adding a trickle tower. Dripping back into the pond should be great. Water tests fine, but I know that I will be needing the extra fitlration soon. As soon as the koi are ready for flakes or pellets, I will be moving them to a 2000 gallon pool which is inter-connected to my main system.

Tategoi
    Sounds like they are doing well. U can NEVER have enough filtration!!! Or so I've been told. Is this your first time spawning koi?

Well, it looks like I am loosing fry by the dozens. Last night I notied a bunch of dead ones at the bottom of the pond. Check it out: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3693

I would try putting some in a new water source and see how they do the other water could be too high in ammonia or something like that use water from another pond. Can't hurt to try. As dick says raise 25 to start they have such massive spawnings it is better to do a good job with a few than loose them all

Feeding and water quality are critical with these young guys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast