Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Under Gravel pond filter questions

Tosai
    Hi Shirley,

I was not attacking what you said, just had issues with the comment about the pond size from the other member. Sorry!

I am considering a retro bottom drain. However, it will have to wait till the spring. My current system is a skimmer ( I added a filter pad) and the discharge from the under gravel pump in right near the mouth of the skimmer. I am testing the water and doing periodic water changes. Koi seem to have issues when it rains. A day later they are flashing. It is very difficult to do water changes I need to syphon or use a utility pump, both a very slow. I collect the water in large garbage cans and recycle it in the gardens.

I have a call in to my installer, he warrantees his work for 1 year. I do not want to criticize his work or attack his credibility. I need to work with him. The only problem is I still do not know whether to leave the under gravel pump on or shut it down for the winter. Both scenario's are scary. Just do not want to loose my 18 year old koi.

Doug

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I have a call in to my installer, he warrantees his work for 1 year. I do not want to criticize his work or attack his credibility. I need to work with him. The only problem is I still do not know whether to leave the under gravel pump on or shut it down for the winter. Both scenario's are scary. Just do not want to loose my 18 year old koi.

Doug
    Doug:

Since your installer has been working for 20+ years, I presume a lot of his work was in the same area as where you live? If so, ask him for contact info for some of his other pond build customers, and find out what they do for the winters. This could help to relieve some of the uncertainty and maybe eliminate a few nasty surprises for you, once the cold weather has arrived.

Shirley
    ricshaw likes this.

Fry
    bottom drain is a must-even as an afterthought-better than nothing. Can use blue board and cut to fit to pond shape. Please don't shut down filtration. The water falls can be bypassed by diverting water so as not to super cool ponds in winter. Have u thought of a pump house(insulated) for both ponds and using matting in boxes, air stone will be needed in ponds and filters. Both ponds on same filter? All pipes buried. Made a tank out of plywood, boat glue, screws and fiberglass. lasted ten years in the house. Companies can come and suck out gravel in 15min. I would love to see no gravel, a bottom drain, external filtration, sharing uv and pump to reduce costs. Maybe a return to keep the water moving and no dead spots(circular).

Tosai
    Jorn,

Thanks for your response and help. Not sure what you mean by blue board. I checked around and was told it is waterproof gypsum board. I assume it is not that material. I gather the reason for this is to cover the gravel in order to trap the "gasses". My pond id 36 " deep and I cannot get in it to actually measure and cut the material to fit. Was thinking on providing a smaller gravel covering. Have "2 koi castles" would place it under these.

I was going to rip out the old pond. I use a canister and UV because of its small size with large fish. The primary reason for the new pond. The old one came in handy as for quarantine and hospital pond. The old pond is too shallow (12") to leave open. I drain it and cover it for the winter.

I contacted the install re a few issues. Still waiting a response. Figured I will let him "winterize" the pond since he gave me a 1 year warrantee.

The under-gravel filter has a "Atlantic hybrid drive 1900 gph" pump that pulls the water through the under-gravel piping ( with 18" of gravel) , and discharges it near the skimmer. I checked the installers web site and he sells this system as "biological" and "custom". My intention is to correct this issue in the spring with the addition of canister and retro bottom drain, Just hope I have enough outlets.

Because of the heat ( Southern NY) I have been doing small frequent water changes and testing. I see the koi occasionally flashing but the water change seems to stop this. I will be adding aeration and a deicer come fall. I will keep the under gravel system on to avoid "gassing out" though I am concerned about the temp. differential. Just hope this winter is not like the past 2 winters.

This will be the first time out for these guys, though they did stay out thru October. Have been keeping them indoors in an unheated tank. Too large for me to move any more. I will be keeping a close eye on them.

Thanks again

Doug

This will be the first time out for these guys, though they did stay out thru October. Have been keeping them indoors in an unheated tank. Too large for me to move any more. I will be keeping a close eye on them.

Doug
    Wheather your fish live or die or receive permement damagedepends; On the ground frost penetration in your area easy to check with local municipality. You simply have to have sufficient heat from the base to counterract heat loss from top and sides of the pond. Wet clay and stone are poor insulators of heat as well as shallow areas so bottom pump has to be shut off as to leave a warmmer layer . I advise styrfoam insulation under all rocks as well as a tent structure over the top
    snow a great insulator if it comes before frost and you do not trample it down

Regards
    Eugene

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12