Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MCA

Thread: Need Advice - How Best to Cure a New 3,000 Gallon Concrete Pond

Fry

Need Advice - How Best to Cure a New 3,000 Gallon Concrete Pond

My husband and I live in Southern California and are building a new 3,000 gallon concrete koi pond. We are having the concrete poured next week. Initially, the pond builder advised us that we would fill the pond with water after the concrete pour to allow the lime to leach out of the concrete. This week, he advised us that we could simply wash the pond's concrete walls with water from a garden hose to leach the lime. My husband is concerned that that is insufficient. Can any of you recommend alternative methods of curing the concrete? Can any of you recommend a source to have water delivered to our home? Thank you so much.

MCA
    Not. Fill with water add enough muriatic acid to dro pH to 6. As the lime leaches, add acid to bring the ph back to 6. Once ph stabilizes at 6, drain and throughly rinse walls and floor. Refill, start water and air pumps and check pH.
    ricshaw likes this.

Wendy: Just got your PM and replied. I like MCA's approach. Easy to do. All I would add is after the pH seems to stabilize at 6.0. leave it for 24 hours and test again. You will 'waste' 3,000 gallons. Don't tell the sprinkler police. (At pH 6.0, water is safe for most garden plants.)

Quote Originally Posted by wendy_darryl View Post
    My husband and I live in Southern California and are building a new 3,000 gallon concrete koi pond. We are having the concrete poured next week. Initially, the pond builder advised us that we would fill the pond with water after the concrete pour to allow the lime to leach out of the concrete. This week, he advised us that we could simply wash the pond's concrete walls with water from a garden hose to leach the lime. My husband is concerned that that is insufficient. Can any of you recommend alternative methods of curing the concrete? Can any of you recommend a source to have water delivered to our home? Thank you so much.
    Another thing to consider: It is my understanding that concrete cures better when exposed to water. With a concrete Koi pond, that means filled with water.

It is my understanding to let concrete cure for at least a month especially in cool weather to strengthen the surface and prevent premature corrossion of the steel bars before applying any acid, chlorine, salt or paint. Correct me if im wrong.

MCA
    Depends if what concrete you ordered and if it had additives such as Xypex (Xypex | Concrete Waterproofing using Crystalline Technology) and if your put something on the concrete like FX-180 Valcon Industries - Makers of FlexCrete. Burt Ballou (retired AKCA judge) used to swear by ordering Xypex in the concrete and using acid to cure the line out to prevent KH and pH spikes.

Xypex products are very good in its waterproofing technologies. Most masons will say let the concrete set for a month. Technically, concrete reaches its top strength at 28 days. You will hear the term 28-day strength used with all cast-in-place concrete work. Although the set concrete will reach approximately 70% strength in the first week of curing. Concrete is never 100% cured as there is always some moisture in the concrete.

What about epoxy coatings for the pond interiors? Any disadvantages of waterproof coatings? The concrete will also need to be cured and cleaned in order to apply these coatings.

From Curing Concrete - Portland Cement Association

"Curing is the process in which the concrete is protected from loss of moisture and kept within a reasonable temperature range. This process results in concrete with increased strength and decreased permeability. Curing is also a key player in mitigating cracks, which can severely affect durability."

See also Keeping Concrete Wet During Curing