Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Kickstarter-Funded Showerhead- Is its Misting System a New Revolutionary Design...

A Kickstarter-Funded Showerhead- Is its Misting System a New Revolutionary Design...

...Or just simply a nice aesthetically pleasingly designed showerhead employing garden-variety misting nozzles that you can buy individually and assemble yourself?

While the subject of showerheads isn't a koi topic, misting nozzles and its use for cooling a pond is. What I've learned in studying the use of misting nozzles for cooling is that it involves trade-offs that make its use subject to considerations that make me hold off from using them. The most important is that to generate very fine mists that have dramatic impact on cooling, you need to have a high-pressure misting pump, like a catpump, which costs a lot to purchase and uses a lot of power (1 hp) continuously. What you get in return, aside from more pronounced cooling effects, is very little water consumption.

If you simply use regular mains pressure of 35-45psi and forego with pump and power usage, the cooling effect would be much much lessened as the mists would be larger and fewer and there would be lower total surface area for cooling. The water consumption would be very high as well. This makes it very impractical and wasteful, and very costly especially in drought-stricken areas.

When I saw the Nebia kickstarter campaign, I was obliged to take a look. It doesn't say much about its tech, except that it dazzles with descriptors such as 'rocket' or something to that effect. Looking at the video of the shower, and the water savings of 70%, I am tempted to shell out $299 to fund it, as the renowned Tim Cook of Apple had.

What do you think, is the nozzle revolutionary, or is it just simply a repackaging of existing technology?

Nebia Shower Scores Over $1.3M in Two Days on Kickstarter |

High pressure misting system that I have uses just 350wats and produce very fine mist. The problem I encountered is the fine nozzle clogging and its inability to reduce ambient temperature that much if humidity is high.I like the idea of the shower that produces finer droplets. My concern would be the high price to get any payback savings, the possible blocking of the nozzles and some loss of heat because of the finer droplets.

Sansai
    Hi
    What sort of water temperatures do your ponds get up to?

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    High pressure misting system that I have uses just 350wats and produce very fine mist. The problem I encountered is the fine nozzle clogging and its inability to reduce ambient temperature that much if humidity is high.I like the idea of the shower that produces finer droplets. My concern would be the high price to get any payback savings, the possible blocking of the nozzles and some loss of heat because of the finer droplets.
    Yes, the price is rather high at $299 for something that is a repackaging of existing technology, low-tech at that. It's taking advantage of our high awareness of the need to save water. I don't know if it addresses the concern of blocked nozzles, which is as real as death and taxes. If standard shower makers are not using this tech, this could be the reason as they don't want to deal with returns galore. Considering that an average homeowner does not have a whole-house fine-sediment filtration in place, many buyers of this super shower would just as soon part ways with this shower system.

Anyway, I was interested in this not so much for the product but for the tech. If it is new tech and it is a step up from existing spray nozzle misting tech, the thought of applying it in a low cost misting system, off standard municipal mains pressure, is a good reason for me to get excited about. Not knowing enough of the tech, I would not let my excitement get the better of me. I wouldn't yet call it a scam, but I'm also not shelling out that much, Kick starter or not.

While I agree in your high-humidity argument, I still think that if the mist is fine enough, and that if the mist can blanket the entire pond, the large total surface area for evaporation would still be able to neutralize a lot of heat transfer to the pond surface, whether the heat in solar radiant heat or convective.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    Hi
    What sort of water temperatures do your ponds get up to?
    Goes up to 30°C. Being that my pond is mixed-grade, bottom being 3 ft below ground, and surface about 2 ft above ground level, my guess is the temperature would be 1°C less if it were below ground.

Sansai
    Hi Yerrag
    Have you considered a small air conditioning cooling tower?
    Cheap Chinese model.
    Fibreglass shell/body.
    Plastic eliminators
    Water down through rotating spray bar
    Air drawn up by fan through eliminators.
    Cycle fan on thermostat at required water temperature.

Garfield

Hi Yerrag
    Have you considered a small air conditioning cooling tower?
    Cheap Chinese model.
    Fibreglass shell/body.
    Plastic eliminators
    Water down through rotating spray bar
    Air drawn up by fan through eliminators.
    Cycle fan on thermostat at required water temperature.

Garfield
    Hi Garfield, I haven't giving that much thought. I can picture it as a mini-version of cooling towers I see off the rooftop of hotels. What holds me back on that idea is that for it to work so well, it seems to me that you'd need the cooling tower on top of the whole pond for the cooling effect to be maximized (that would not be mini anymore). That way, the whole pond surface can be blanketed in mist or fine shower droplets so as to minimize ambient heat transfer to the pond. Then again, I could be seeing it in a much different way than you intended.

Sansai
    Hi Yerrag
    A cooling tower would be placed discreetly behind a bush or screen, somewhere in the garden to one side nearest the pond pump and a return water point to the pond
    Water is pumped to the top of the tower, cascades back down through the eliminators into the sump to be gravity fed back into the pond
    Hopefully losing some heat with the upward draught/draft from the centrally mounted fan positioned in the top of the tower.
    What sort of temperature are you trying maintain?
    Cheers,
    Garfield.

Hi Yerrag
    A cooling tower would be placed discreetly behind a bush or screen, somewhere in the garden to one side nearest the pond pump and a return water point to the pond
    Water is pumped to the top of the tower, cascades back down through the eliminators into the sump to be gravity fed back into the pond
    Hopefully losing some heat with the upward draught/draft from the centrally mounted fan positioned in the top of the tower.
    What sort of temperature are you trying maintain?
    Cheers,
    Garfield.
    On a hit summer day where temps are at 30°C, I'd like to get it down to 28°C. The location of the tower that you're suggesting is good as it won't destroy the view of the pond. I'm just not sure it's going to be effective driving pond temperature down much. The main area where heat transfer from the sun and the surroundings is in the large pond surface, so I'd the cooling effect of the tower is not having any impact there, I'm not sure if the tower will be that effective.

If you don't want to use the mains as your direct water source, just get 2 pumps, a couple of cannister type filters, a small storage tank and garden nozzles. Pump pond water into the storage tank using 1 pump and pump water to the nozzles from the tank using the other pump. Would definitely cost less than 299 and you will have lots of nozzles to spare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast