Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: videos of babies

videos of babies

10 weeks old 2 videos I m trying out my new camera on my iphone

2-4 inches

I like the slow motion. My eye can focus on individual fish so much better.

Brian, how do you dispose of the ones you decide not to keep? Do pet shops in your area take them? Ebay?

Many years ago when I had mixed sexes in a lily pond, I would the unintended offspring to a local pet shop. They would give me a store credit for half the retail price. I had no problem using the credits. The problem was that the shop only had one tank devoted to koi and they did not want any that were over 6 inches. That meant that I had to take in a lot when they were just one or two inches. It was amazing how many people would buy several at that small size despite a sign saying they would grow quickly and were best kept in a pond. Of course, even the worst ones were cute at that size. I miss the sense of excitement and adventure those little ones gave, but I do not miss the work, nor the regret of knowing that nearly all were doomed. I still enjoy raising up some little tosai each year, even ones I know from the start will be re-homed within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Many years ago when I had mixed sexes in a lily pond, I would the unintended offspring to a local pet shop. They would give me a store credit for half the retail price. I had no problem using the credits. The problem was that the shop only had one tank devoted to koi and they did not want any that were over 6 inches. That meant that I had to take in a lot when they were just one or two inches. It was amazing how many people would buy several at that small size despite a sign saying they would grow quickly and were best kept in a pond. Of course, even the worst ones were cute at that size. I miss the sense of excitement and adventure those little ones gave, but I do not miss the work, nor the regret of knowing that nearly all were doomed. I still enjoy raising up some little tosai each year, even ones I know from the start will be re-homed within a year.
    Many years ago, I too would sell unintended small tosai to a local pet store for store credit, The pet store had one tank they would put them in. It was the tank they kept feeder goldfish in.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I like the slow motion. My eye can focus on individual fish so much better.

Brian, how do you dispose of the ones you decide not to keep? Do pet shops in your area take them? Ebay?

as of last year I would give the bad ones to my friend who has 1 junky pond with plants only and then he would put them there and he has herons and egrids that would come buy and eat them, he said its providing for the food chain, and keeps them away from his other ponds that have good koi...I also sell on craigslist for 40koi for 20.00

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Many years ago, I too would sell unintended small tosai to a local pet store for store credit, The pet store had one tank they would put them in. It was the tank they kept feeder goldfish in.
    LOL.

I do miss having proprietor-owned petshops around. There are a few aquarium independent aquarium shops that survive on sales of corals and the more rare saltwater creatures, but they cannot compete with big box pet supply stores and internet-based suppliers. No doubt there is far better pricing for the consumer for dry goods. The loss is in having the depth of knowledge of a proprietor who knew his/her livestock and could give reliable advice on equipment selection for particular set-ups. It was more fun when going to a shop was like seeing a friend to chat about common interests, and there was always something new or different to check out. Facebook groups cannot compare to a real conversation with a fellow hobbyist about a new variety of fish (or plant) as you try to decide whether to give it a try. There's not much reason to linger and strike up a conversation at a big box store. They sure aren't going to take extra fish from a home spawning.... not even for the feeder tank.

Every April my pond spawns. Natural selection leaves about 100 that survive beyond a couple of inches. The enthusiasm of the little ones is contagious both to fish and to people. In a proper koi pond this higher level of excitement is counterproductive since the less energy expended the better and lower stress levels are required. In my backyard pond my perfect 32” doitsu karashigoi gets a comment but it is the 4’ ginrin sanke of very uncertain parentage that draws exclamations from onlookers as she dashes in to grab a stray pellet. The variety from my pond spawn covers the spectrum. This year there are shirogoi, kohaku, and benigoi. There are doitsu, ginrin, metallic and longfins intermixed and of course some wildtype coloration. Soragoi and ginrin soragoi are big this time around. Each year I keep one or two and give away the rest to club members (and yes you do get a specklegoi along with that ginrin ochiba!).