Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Hey Dick

Hey Dick

How about an update and some pics of the fry? Please !!!!!
    Regards,
    Jaco

Jumbo
    Jaco

I mat have missed it but any update on that mudpond that makes me VERY envious?

Mark

Hi Jaco,
    Will make a special effort to take pictures next time down. Was there this am checking on things. The showa,shiros and gin rin shiros are to die for. The new male kohaku has one great tancho and 5-6 promising fry with great patterns and especially good color. The Kigoi are growing fast,
    the asagi are slowing down as we had to move from best pond because of bird predation. The ochiba and chagoi (green) are doing good. Still undecided on the sanke. To me they are the hardest to know what you have, takes forever. I did spy the biggest toby from the sanke's and it's a shiro bekko!I also bred some longfins this year and the yamabuki
    have really nice sheen and clean heads. Uniformly my best batch for quality and size.
    I went to my partner in crime and pleaded for more water next year.
    We'll see what happens. It's looking better that I'll get double the space.
    Next year I will use one of our homegrown males as a dad to produce gin rin matsukawabake's. They will be my pride and joy as the asagi's were this year. Thanks all for your interest. It's suppose to rain and be miserable for about a week and I have to fly off next friday to bench Spokane's show so give me some time please! I won't forget!

Yes Mark, I am envious too since our Spring is only starting to appear which should make you even more envious. :twisted: :twisted:
    Thanks for the update Dick, I realise you musy be very busy this time of year. Until when do you leave the fry in the mud ponds before draging it before Winter sets in?
    Thanks all
    Jaco.

Usually around here Jaco, mid october can start really getting cool so we try and have them cleaned up and in the greenhouse by the end of september. Usually by spring, they will have doubled in size and be ready to go home to their new owners ponds. I try and slip a few nisai out to the grow ponds to keep track of them but we're so small, customers find my "stealth" fish and talk us out of them.

It is so interesting the way the world works. I'm getting ready to slow down for the year and your just getting ready to "take off"! You'll have to keep us informed as how the spawns are going to help us thru the "blahs of winter".

regards

Dick,
    Yes it is lucky that our seasons are switched otherwise I would have nothing to look at during our Winter.
    I am planning to drag the mud pond containing last year's keepers at the end of September and promise to post some pics to get some comments from the guys in the know. I can as you amagine not wait anymore and during feeding you only get a climpse and some fish that look great might not be viewed in a bowl up close.And some that looked insiped might just be the ones.There are some Sanke,Kohaku,Showa and Shiro Utsuri in there plus a few Benigoi,Kigoi and a Ki-Utsuri.
    The mudpond is at 15c already and our Spring is very much here now.So might get some growth from them before end September.
    Jaco.
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Am Planning to get to the Blueberry farm on saturday with my camera.
    By the end of the month, I will have all of the babies inside in the greenhouse for winter protection.

some surprises this year include some beautiful bekkos in the sanke breeding, some eye popping red on the kohakus. I attribute that to the new dad.

one of my ake mae kigois from last year is turning white. It's pretty now but will have a certain appeal when it goes all white with the red eyes.

concerned about the matsukawabake female breeder of mine. Health is diminishing. Lucky for me I have a #1 female baby of hers in the grow pond as back up. next year my intent is to make Gin Rin Matsukawabakes
    babies.

just wanted to let you know that I hadn't forgotten your request.

Tategoi
    Hello Dick and Jaco

Dont mean to barge in on your thread but while Ive got u both here thought I would show u a really intersting development. Finished fourth culling a little while ago and was able to get a quick video of the jumbo sanke I told u about. Really interesting.

Also, per our green water conversation. The 20 or thirty koi that I placed in the tank 2 weeks ago have shown an almost instant rising and darkening of sumi. The tank is still thick green and all koi are surface and hand feeding when promted. They seem very content. The Hi seems to be developing at a normal rate. Would be interesting to see what this would do to a more mature koi with fadeing sumi.
    This clip is being played with windows media player.

Will be watching for both of your pics.
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/virginkoi/Picture%20026.mpg

Have a grand day, Kiefer

Thanks Dick and Kiefer,
    I look foreward to the pics this weekend. I will try and get some pics of the koi in the mud pond.The fry in the mud pond have grown a bit during Winter and the sumi have really come out in the cold water. After reading Koi Bito this week I will cull them much easier and was afraid to cull the Sanke because of the sumi that seemed too much and big but hopefully as the koi grow it should become more balanced with size.

Kiefer I am on a modem connection so are still downloading youre video, will comment after it's done.

Jaco.

Well got the pics taken and sent to jason. Poor guy, has always been gracious in the past to post so hope he'll have time. After he posts I'll do some commentary.