Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sharing my experience with anoxic filtration

Improving Biofiltration By Having Plants Get First Cra

My anoxic filter went through a bit or rearranging recently. I moved the bcb's (anoxic filter baskets) containing large plants (10 foot tall cannas) into the front of the biofilter. And put the bcb's without plants downflow of the ones with plants.

By a simple matter of rearranging, the water parameters relating to nitrogen waste quickly improved.

The plants would get first crack at the ammonia flowing in from the pond. This would reduce the concentration of ammonia for the remainder of the biofilter to process. There would be less ammonia needing to undergo nitrification to nitrite onto nitrate on the cat litter zone of the bcb's. Likewise, there would be less nitrate for the laterite (at the core of the bcb) to denitrigy (break down to nitrogen gas). The effect of all this would be to decrease the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in the pond.

I'm toying with the idea of adding some floating plants such as water lily. They are easy to remove when I siphon the filter bottom. I can see these water lilies at our polluted rivers, but can't use those as there is a great risk of parasitic infestion. Even if I were to buy from a clean source, I still would need to quaratntine and treat the plants before introducing them to my filter. I just have to not overdo the planting.

Fry
    Below is something I posted on another forum last summer. My Anoxic filter is inside and is dark all day so there are no plants to help the process. Any questions then please ask away.

Anoxic filtration

For those who are curious about this type of filter or who are even considering installing one, I thought I’d write about my experiences of running one for the last 5 years and 2 months. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this kind of filter?
    Disadvantages
    I’ll start with this first because it’s much easier. The Anoxic filter is a bio filter only, so although this is not strictly a disadvantage, it does require some sort of solids removal system as a first stage. Depending on how the Anoxic container is constructed then it can take up a fair bit of surface area unless you stack the baskets vertically.

Advantages
    These are many but I will try and explain a few of them.
    Cost. As in everything in life nothing is free BUT there is no need to spend thousands chasing the nitrogen cycle. I currently have 60 biocensus baskets in a liner pond that filters the main pond. The baskets were filled with cat litter and Laterite although there are now cheaper alternatives available to Laterite. Baskets, litter and Laterite worked out at £19’s each so not cheap but could be reduced to about £12’s today. The Laterite has a reported life of at least 20 years and the baskets and cat litter are forever.
    Water parameters. The Anoxic filter will first “eat” ammonia, so as such there is no nitrogen cycle except for the bacteria living on all pond surfaces. As there is very little ammonia then nitrite is also low and is consumed by the filter when it has finished with the ammonia. Once this is in short supply then the filter will start to consume the nitrate and phosphate leaving the water clean. The filter has no influence on KH or pH so the pond is very stable, I have been running my pond with a KH of 2dh for years with no signs of any change.

Cleaning. I have an RDF fitted so there is very little dirt that gets into the Anoxic filter. All I have is a very light covering of mulm on some of the baskets (between 1 & 2 mm thick). I last cleaned the Anoxic filter on 4th October 2013 and have no plans to clean it in the near future.
    Water changes. I don’t change the water at all and haven’t done so since installing the Anoxic filter. I top up with about 200 liters of RO water a day that is used by the RDF but that is all for my 45,000 liter pond. The pond is crystal clear and all parameters checked on my Hanna 83203 electronic meter are low. Current temperature is 25°C and I’m still feeding 500 gms of 45% protein food a day.
    Koi. I have about 40 koi in the pond of which 20 are over 60cms. They are all looking very well and I’m hoping my Chagoi which is currently at 85 cms will pass the 1 meter mark in the next two years. The Koi are growing well but I don’t feed for quick growth so there are no growth records being broken in my pond. The Anoxic filter also consumes growth suppressant pheromones which would explain why the Koi in my overcrowded pond are still growing.
    Conclusions. I wish I’d found the Anoxic filter system before I spent thousands on all sorts of fancy filter systems that only leave you with a pond full of nitrates and a very large water bill trying to eliminate them.

Fry
    What are you suggesting to use as a cheaper alternative to Laterite?

I would like to see photos of your pond & filtration.

Dave,

I have a few question:
    1. Why the need for a R.O. water?
    2. Is the 200 liter water topup includes the water that goes to waste from the RO setup?
    3. What is the KH of the RO water?
    4. How do you know the laterite will last 20 yrs in your pond? Is there such a thing as a diminishing return on effectiveness?
    5. Activated carbon adsorbs phermones and ammonia as well, whats the advantage of laterite over activated carbon
    6. Do you have a heater to control temperature to 25C and maximize growth?
    7. Does your pond have wall algae growing
    8. Does all you koi exhibit consistent growth or just those with the genetics and appetite to grow like chagoi.
    9. Have you encountered ulceration, parasites, dropsy, koi parking, some koi not eating after the anoxic filters where setup?

Fry
    1) There is no need for RO water but I want to try and get as close to the Japanese grow on ponds as I can.
    2) The 200 lts added to the pond doesn't include the 200 lts that goes to waste.
    3) I've not measured it but I think the KH of the RO water is zero. The pond KH is stable at 1.5 - 2.0, I think this must be coming from the food.
    4) Other people have reported 20 years life, the laterite runs out of iron but you only need to scape a hole in the centre of the basket and add some more.
    5) Activated carbon needs replacing every month or so with the inherent costs.
    6) I do have a heater but use it sparingly - cost !!
    7) My pond does indeed have short wall algae that the Koi love to eat. I have no string algae or green water.
    8) The Koi all grow at different rates. At the moment they are in winter mode with pond at 8.7°C this morning. I have a lot of Koi at 75cm or more.
    9) Not wanting to tempt fate but I've had no problems with the Koi in this time and they have always eat like pigs

Dave, you have a good number of baskets. 1.5 baskets per koi. How many baskets have plants?

Fry
    No plants at all. The plan is to transfer the Anoxic filter outside in the Spring so that I can have some water lilies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Below is something I posted on another forum last summer. My Anoxic filter is inside and is dark all day so there are no plants to help the process. Any questions then please ask away.

Anoxic filtration
    For those who are curious about this type of filter or who are even considering installing one, I thought I’d write about my experiences of running one for the last 5 years and 2 months. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this kind of filter?
    Disadvantages
    I’ll start with this first because it’s much easier. The Anoxic filter is a bio filter only, so although this is not strictly a disadvantage, it does require some sort of solids removal system as a first stage. Depending on how the Anoxic container is constructed then it can take up a fair bit of surface area unless you stack the baskets vertically.
    Advantages
    These are many but I will try and explain a few of them.
    Cost. As in everything in life nothing is free BUT there is no need to spend thousands chasing the nitrogen cycle. I currently have 60 biocensus baskets in a liner pond that filters the main pond. The baskets were filled with cat litter and Laterite although there are now cheaper alternatives available to Laterite. Baskets, litter and Laterite worked out at £19’s each so not cheap but could be reduced to about £12’s today. The Laterite has a reported life of at least 20 years and the baskets and cat litter are forever.
    Water parameters. The Anoxic filter will first “eat” ammonia, so as such there is no nitrogen cycle except for the bacteria living on all pond surfaces. As there is very little ammonia then nitrite is also low and is consumed by the filter when it has finished with the ammonia. Once this is in short supply then the filter will start to consume the nitrate and phosphate leaving the water clean. The filter has no influence on KH or pH so the pond is very stable, I have been running my pond with a KH of 2dh for years with no signs of any change.
    Cleaning. I have an RDF fitted so there is very little dirt that gets into the Anoxic filter. All I have is a very light covering of mulm on some of the baskets (between 1 & 2 mm thick). I last cleaned the Anoxic filter on 4th October 2013 and have no plans to clean it in the near future.
    Water changes. I don’t change the water at all and haven’t done so since installing the Anoxic filter. I top up with about 200 liters of RO water a day that is used by the RDF but that is all for my 45,000 liter pond. The pond is crystal clear and all parameters checked on my Hanna 83203 electronic meter are low. Current temperature is 25°C and I’m still feeding 500 gms of 45% protein food a day.
    Koi. I have about 40 koi in the pond of which 20 are over 60cms. They are all looking very well and I’m hoping my Chagoi which is currently at 85 cms will pass the 1 meter mark in the next two years. The Koi are growing well but I don’t feed for quick growth so there are no growth records being broken in my pond. The Anoxic filter also consumes growth suppressant pheromones which would explain why the Koi in my overcrowded pond are still growing.
    Conclusions. I wish I’d found the Anoxic filter system before I spent thousands on all sorts of fancy filter systems that only leave you with a pond full of nitrates and a very large water bill trying to eliminate them.
    I would be interested in seeing pictures of your inside Anoxic filter.

Fry
    I agree but I've tried 4 times today to load photo's but it fails. I'll try again tomorrow

Hi Dave,

We feed the same amount of koi food- 500g/day at about the same protein content.

You have twice my pond size. My pond is 5000 gallons (20,000 liters), with a flow rate of 3500 lph.

But I currently have 15 koi: 5 koi averaging 75 cm, and the rest (10) averaging 50 cm. And you have 40 koi, not sure how many average 75 cm.

With 16 11x11x7" biocenosis baskets, with two baskets having plants (8-10' cannas), I'm testing for ammonia and nitrite if I exceed my current feeding rate.

With more koi, a larger pond, and a larger bioifilter at 60 bcb's, it seems you have can increasie your feeding rate without affecting greatly your water parameters. Is there a reason you're limiting feeding to 500g/day?

I'm in the tropics and feed rate doesn't very much. You're in a temperate region, I assume your feed rate refers to a summer feed rate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234