Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Koi Pond Pize

Tosai
    This is kinda a touchy subject to ask everyone but I have to ask it, Do any of you guys/gals have permits for your ponds? because I was talking with my co-worker today and he mentioned that I should get my utility company to come out to make an inspection of the dig cite to make sure I don't hit any lines (gas, electric,water, sewer). He also mentioned that I may run the risk of city officials wanting me to get a permit for the pond just like they do for pools. Is this true and does anybody have experience with this issue :? I don't want to get cited.
    Thanks
    Pat

Patdown,
    The idea pond is a flow thru, constant new well water running thru the pond. Just finish building a 3000 gal pond and have a 3000 gal pump per hour, however with constant well water flow. Can look at it as a 72,000 gal pond per day of flow. Lots of advanges here, ulcers, what thats? Before you commit to a huge sum of money for filter system look at how much cost for a well dug is, maybe $300, lets see, another $500 for a good wave II pump. Gosh, for $800 I got a flow thru system and no filter maintance. Be sure you add a air pump or venturi because there is no air in well water. Flow thru means more fish also. Hey, you got to run pump 24 hours a day, why not run good water thru it constant.

Pat,
    Laws vary from state to state/community to community. Most utilities have a free cost service to come out and identify power/sewer and water.
    most ask that if your digging in the area you request their aid. so your digging in the area. doesn't say they ask specifically.
    Legally speaking when you build a pond you have created what is known in legal jargon as " an attractive nuisance". This means you will draw unsuspecting kids to your place and they may drown and you'd be liable. So what the law asks you to do is build a 6 foot tall fence, locked gates for access to take away iit's visability and access. certainly doable.
    thanks for asking as I bet there are a few readers who didn't know this.

Daihonmei
    Blamz,
    She lives in Southern Californicatia...you think she can get a permit to dig a well for a flow through system?

To add what is being said about a flow thru system as being the ultimate system, remember the entire system rests on the quality of the source.
    anything leaching into the well will be in the pond. I will not say to much more other than to say it will be an expense and important to test prior to putting koi in and periodically during the wells life of use to be absolutely certain it contains nothing to hurt your koi. I'm talking about several hundred dollars worth of testing by a professional water testing company
    looking for heavy metals and other pollutants each time the test is run. At the very minimal period it would be an annual event.

also in addition to the lack of oxygen to deal with you will also need to be concerned even in sunny california about the chilling effect ground water has when it arrives at a cool 55 F.

Just a few extra things for you to plan for ahead of time!

Sansai
    Hi PD1,
    You will be happier with the 6 ft depth :P Temperature will be more stable and your fish will have more room (and water of course).
    Different areas have different regulations on permits. Our county does not require one ( at least it didn't when we built our last pond).
    Our state has an 800 you call to contact "Miss Utility" before you dig for anything. If you fail to do so you and you break a line of any sorts you are liable for damages.
    Ruth

Tosai
    Thanks to everyone for the much needed and useful feedback
    I've since talked to a buddy of mine who does pools for a living and I may be doing a concrete pond instead of a liner now. He's suggested stepping the sides due to the soil in my area because if I wanted a rectangel I would have to use heavy reinforcement which would drive the cost up. I'm cool with steps that will allow me to put other plants besides the water lillies I have now.
    Anybody have any suggestion on how many drains I should have and the angle of slope? I was thinking two at 15* and also adding one or two difused airation tubes spaced out in the middle somewhere since I will no longer have a waterfall.
    Me being so new to this I am totally open to suggestions

It is pretty funny how this has snowballed in a full blown water feature now. With all the additional cost and things to consider, I think I may have to sell off one of the kids now. LOL LOL J/K :lol:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12