Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Koi Pond Pize

Tosai

Poll: Koi Pond Pize

I'm getting my plans together for the construction of a new pond that will be replacing my existing pond which is 10'x6'x1.7' (790 gal) flexible liner.
    The new pond shape will be rectangular, but I'm still undecided about the actual size of the pond. We plan to keep 9-11 large show quality Koi. Which dimension would you recommend ?

A: 12'x6'x2' (1116 gal) B: 15'x6'x2' (1395 gal) C: 19'x6'x2' (1767 gal)

I also have a question to throw out there as well. Do Koi do better in lengthy ponds or ponds that are deep?

Thanks in Advance

None of the above. Go at least 4' deep, preferably 6'.

Tosai
    Does 4'-6' deep apply to Southern California as well? I'm assuming that you are taking winter conditions into consideration, but we have very mild winters down here unlike back East. I'm also trying to keep the pond volume around 1500-2000 gallons to keep the filtration equipment cost down.

That applies to anywhere for show quality fish. And 1500 gallons will only give you 2 fish. You need to stay close to 1000 gallons per fish for show quality. You may buy them small, but they will grow, and they need room and depth to get to their potential.

Tosai
    WOW :shock: That means I will have to do far more digging than I anticipated and that also limits me to far fewer fish than I originally wanted to keep!

Thanks for the feedback

Dear Pat,

Phil is "spot on" for the water per show quality koi., though if you mean males and smaller koi, then the number can be aound 500 gallons a koi. But that depends on alot of factors like how willing you are to do maintainence. Best Thing is to join a koi club and see members' ponds and talk to them. Also visit koi shows and see who has the kind of koi you like and talk to those people and see how they do it. Then put those ideas to use in your pond.

Why not 5000 gals? If I had it to do over again I would look at the 5000 gal mark. With the dimensions you gave you might as well dig 4 more feet for each plan.

12'x6'x6' = 3240gals

15'x6'x6' = 4050gals

19'x6'x6' = 5130gals

But either way you talk about 9-11 large show quality fish, how large are these fish? Let's not use the term "Show Quality" unless you are a dealer trying to make a buck. "High Grade" is a better term to use since you are hobbyist looking to improve your koi. Well anyways, wish you luck on your new pond.

Tosai
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm leaning more towards 19'x6'x6' (5130 gal) now. I plan on having mainly females just because I like their thicker body conformation a lot better than the males. Currently I only have 1x9" Utsuri mono, and 2x9" Kohaku, with another 10"-13" Kohaku scheduled to be ready for delivery late September. I recently purchased the 10"-13" Kohaku through Japan Koi Online through a special offer they call Omakase-Kodama's Choice, the Koi breeder is Mr. Tomono from Kansuke Koi Farm. From what I understand Mr. Tomono is a producer of "High Grade" Kohaku.

You will be much happier with the new size, and your fish will take off with good water quality. It is one of the most common bad choices people make to not go deeper when they can. For liner ponds, its only $40-50 more to go deeper. You will also have a more stable pond with the extra volume. Keep us posted.

There is a formula that I believe should be used when building a pond
    depth x2 equals widthx2 equals length. Hence your new pond is 6x12x24,
    figure one koi per 1000 gallons. Build your filter twice the size to accomodate the bio load . incorporate a trickle tower and a series of vortex j-mat upflows and aireate like there is no tommorrow.

I have never seen this mentioned but something all should know

when it comes to air pumps especially with high blows and alita's buy the 80 or bigger. If the bladder blows on the 40 it creates problems with the repair because the design is different. (magnets)

if because of the cost you can't afford anything but a 40 buy a bladder kit at the time of purchase and faithfully plan to replace the bladder after two years use. When you get your gang valve with the pump to run your air lines off of always run one wide open with no load on it. this is insurance to save the bladder. Trust me on this. You will thank me latter.

for those of you with high blows who after reading this are saying " oh sure Dick, Buy a replacement bladder kit....are you kidding, I've been looking for them for years"! (secret) buy an alita one, it's the same thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast