Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Strange Looking Root Thingy on My Filter Pipe

Fry

Strange Looking Root Thingy on My Filter Pipe

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know what that root looking thing that's sticking to the 3" pvc pipe? I found them on the interior wall of the drum filter and some on the prefilter canisters attached to my pond pump.

Much obliged!

Theo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strange Looking Root Thingy on My Filter Pipe-img_9446.jpg  

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by maruzo View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know what that root looking thing that's sticking to the 3" pvc pipe? I found them on the interior wall of the drum filter and some on the prefilter canisters attached to my pond pump.

Much obliged!

Theo
    Is this a trick question?

Maruzo:

I do not know what they are, but can say that you do not need to worry about them. I have had this creature growing in my ponds for over 30 years. It seems to do best in areas where there is little light (and thus no competition from algae). I have only seen it in mature ponds. It is definitely not an early colonizer of new ponds. I tried to figure it out many years ago (pre-internet!) and got nowhere. Asking supposed experts at shops only results in somebody trying to sell you something. I can say from experience that it is completely harmless (or harmless to such an extent that in over 30 years I cannot ascribe a single adverse experience to its presence.) If I was guessing I would say it was some form of freshwater bryozoan. I once considered that it might be some sort of fungi, but on closer observation with magnifying glass I discarded that notion. I've bumped up an old thread about the diversity of life in our ponds. It mainly concerns freshwater sponge, but adds some perspective. Perhaps somebody will come along who has done the research to give us a label for it.

....It is amazing all the forms life takes.

I'm glad that I'm not the only keeper that does not know what is growing in my settlement chambers. The similar species that is inhabiting my filter chambers (dark places) covers the bottom sides of the chamber (below the JMAT and Matala layers). In my large settlement tank it is also growing all over the "course" black matala mat (bottom layer). About a year ago, I tried to scrape these organisms off from the tank/drum surfaces as I thought they may have been eggs from a water bug. At first, I thought maybe they were eggs from the scuds that I had recently found in my filter boxes (but found out that it wasn't). Hope someone can solve this mystery.