Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Highest bid at Niigata Breeders Auction

Fry

Highest bid at Niigata Breeders Auction

Its over 10 million yen, and it was doitsu showa !!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Highest bid at Niigata Breeders Auction-image.jpg  

And, she is a gorgeous doitsu Showa.

One of the things we get taught is to see all doitsu as lesser koi. It is one of those strange things about koi. A wagoi cannot attain patterning as sharp as doitsu, but the ideal is for wagoi to look like a doitsu. So, with doitsu having that level of perfection, why do we denigrate them? Why say doitsu have it too easy? Isn't the essence of koikeeping all about the beauty of living art? But, when the masterpiece is painted on doitsu, it is somehow less than a childish attempt to duplicate it on wagoi. It is irrational, IMO, but it is how it is, much like having to learn that the Yamabuki is not the most beautiful koi in your pond despite everyone who visits saying she is. ....Perhaps it comes from some cultural appreciation for overcoming adversity.

Odd that I didn't see Eryno's two threads until you replied Mike.

Anyway, I thought doitsu are more delicate hoi as it lacks scales to protect its skin and its colors. So it doesn't deserve to be denigrated. I don't dare touch it, fearing my touch would ruin its skin, whereas I would have no qualms touching wagoi.

Indeed this is an extraordinary koi!

Jumbo
    It wasn't over 10 million Yen, it was much less than 10million Yen.

When I posted that photograph and story i reported that had I purchased all of the Koi that were my tips at the auction - 17th Niigata Breeders Auction 5th November - my tips.... ยป Niigata-Nishikigoi.com - it would have required over 10 million Yen to do so.

Absolutely Amazing! Still, IMO that is too much yen to pay for a koi. You can almost buy a decent house in Hawaii for that. Out of my league.

Please forgive my ignorance, but do the patterns change on doitsu patterned koi? Doitsu Kohaku, Sanke, Showa. Are there Doitsu Shiro Utsuri? I think that would be a sight to see. I guess I should do a internet search.

Patterns change on doitsu in the same way as patterns change on wagoi. A doitsu Kohaku will remain pretty much the same, but with pattern breaks or fading occurring as occur with a wagoi Kohaku. A Kumonryu can change dramatically, as can a Matsukawabake. A doitsu Showa can have sumi rise up, as with a wagoi Showa. However, there is also a difference. Because the doitsu lacks the scales and layer of skin that wraps the scales, changes occur in a more limited zone of pigment cells. In a sense, changes seem more immediate.

Years ago I had a koi which possessed two different sorts of Hi, an under layer of low grade Hi, the hue of a pumpkin orange with no lustre, and an upper layer of bright red Hi. In youth, the koi was brilliant. With age, the bright red faded, leaving only the insipid orange hue. It creates a weird effect when the fading proceeds at different rates on different parts of the body. I did not do a microscopic analysis, but it definitely appeared to my eye that the bright Hi was limited to the upper most skin layer covering the scales. [I was told by a knowledgeable dealer (Ray Abell) that such koi usually lost their brightness early in their second growing season. In my case, it occurred in the third growing season. Similar degrading pigment of this sort is seen in Ai Goromo and similar types that decline markedly with age.] With doitsu, I suspect only the low grade flat orangish color would ever be seen. The extra layers of scale and skin give a larger zone for pigment.