Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: intestinal problem

Nisai

intestinal problem

Hi, I notice 1 of my koi shits is slimy for the past 2 months & not eating well. I think he might have an intestinal problem. I would like to know if any of you guys know that beside proprietary internal medicine for koi that have intestinal problem, are there any food that I can gives to cure the poor fellow. He is still swimming with the group & active. I thought I heard 1 of the apprentices at a koi farm saying something like sweet potatoes can help intestinal problem but can't really remember.
    Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

SF

Hi Swordfish,

Is is slimy like dark and slimy, or clear and gelatinous? May we ask what type of food you're feeding?
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Nisai
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the fast respond. The poop were clear & gelatinous but sometimes brown & slimy. It only come from 1 koi,the rest of the fishes poops are normal. :?
    I'm currently feeding them with a mixture of Hikari excel,spirulina & wheat-germ. I'm considering to change to Sakai feed at the moment.
    Not sure if it intestinal parasite. Kindly advise. Thanks.

SF

How are your water parameters? How much are you feeding, and how much does this individual koi eat? Many people here can contribute good advice, but will need a little more info in order to help you.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Nisai
    My water parameter: PH 7.5,ammonia 0,nitrite 0,nitrate 15ppm.
    I feed my fish twice a day,in the morning & night at regular hour.Morning 9.30am & night 10.30pm.Each time I give them food that they can easily finished in 5 minutes.I estimate should be about 10% of their body size.I do not give them more food even they are always still eager to have more.
    The fish in trouble is still eating but very little.It seem that it takes a long time for him to go for another bite after the 1st. In the 5 minutes feeding time he only have 2-3 bites the most at food.
    This forum have a lot of experience pro which is why I know I'm at the right place.I'm new to this hobby so need lots of advises. Any of you guys that can offer suggestion will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

SF

I'm looking at this at 4 am getting ready to wait for two hrs to clear security to get on an airplane to fly to Spokane so I can bench some beauties. Dan Blatt has agreed to post the pics and info supplied as a result of the show here on KB. BUT

it "dawns" on me that whoever reponds to your question will need to know
    the metabolism of your koi which is established by water temperature?

Because I will be away for a few days, I have some thoughts.

to me 10% of body weight is way too much food. Half of that would be more than enough. I would feel that 3-4 % would be better.

to me the floating wastes suggest that they are being fed too much. I suggest you discontinue feed for 24 hrs and come back with half as much. I will let Brian address your other concern. We don't get hikari seki in the states but I understand that has clay manufactured into it. That always helps. When you switch food do it gradually by mixing both till you run out of the old. I have used the product refresh to mix with water in a cup and then soak my food in it till it is absorbed, then feed after allowed to dry to moist condition.
    I'm sure you are aware of this but i will say it for the others still learning.
    you are in a part of the world where Pond temperatures get very high. That means the ability of the water to maintain saturated oxygen levels
    is most difficult. digestion uses lots of air. Please be sure your levels are maxed with lots of air being introduced by air pump.

Nisai
    Hi Dick,
    Thanks for responding at such an early time in the morning. Hope you enjoy the koi show.
    I'll reduce the feeding & spread it to 3x a day instead of twice daily. I have been useing refresh clay in my pond water & it is very well aerated.Any further aeration my koi just don't seem to like it cause some of them will jump out of the pond.
    Thanks & Bon Voyage.

SF

Nisai
    Add to info: this particular koi is a Matsunosuke sanke of 12 mths old. Thanks.

SF