Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My home bred kohaku have turned nissai!

Nisai

My home bred kohaku have turned nissai!

hi,

been a while since I've updated you on my project to breed my own koi, and we've had a milestone recently that I wanted to share - plus, I'd like some feedback too.

We went through all the remaining koi from our 2014 kohaku spawning, and selected 17 to grow on over this winter.

I've taken pics and video of each one - and I've given them all a reference number.

I would be interested in your feedback on which one(s) stand out as the best prospects for sansai and beyond.

Pics and video here:

Nissai selection - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

adam

Great exercise, Adam. And, congrats on how well you are doing with them.

I find myself unable to give any reliable suggestions. I'll share some thoughts, but more to give you something to consider on your own than to give useful advice. Although your video is very good, I really cannot evaluate the beni quality. That leaves just body form and pattern. The angle of the video affects perception of body form, so I lack confidence in what I think I see. You have obviously been feeding them well. For nisai, they have a bit of bulk. Several seem to be 'front loaded', by which I mean that the bulk in the front half does not carry through to the tail. It is not necessarily 'thin tail' issues as much as it is proportionality. But, to the extent the issue exists, the video angle accentuates it. I expect it may not be as noticeable when viewed in person, looking down. And, nisai that gain length can outgrow it. (Query: Were your summer water temperatures low? If so, that can explain a lot. It seems to me that young koi in cooler water during the growth season tend get 'front loaded' through fat storage. In warmer water it seems to burn off.) ....The ones labeled as male come across as having better body lines for nisai, and do not look obviously male ...not the typical scrawny males at all.

I think it a good thing that you have room to raise them all over winter. Six months from now will tell a lot.

If some had to be eliminated, I would eliminate the males (of course), although I might keep that big one for a male pond & give him a shot in male competition at a show. Others that would be low on my list compared to the rest: #6- bad pattern and too much belly; #11- looks male & undersized; #14- just not impressed; #9- short body??

Often it is said that ones that do well in shows at a young age will not be long term koi. However, I would definitely keep #1 and #10 to see how they develop.

However useless and off-base my thoughts may be, it was fun to go through your 17. If I had produced them, I would be so proud of myself that I might not be able to bear being in my own presence.

Simply awesome Adam. Mike has summarized the body shape very well and I would like to add that I love the patterns on them. Good job.

Nisai
    hi guys; thanks for your feedback. And MikeM - appreciate the detail in your thinking. the body shapes have been particularly interesting to watch develop; the koi are in ponds in the polytunnel and even with the great british summer, the tanks these koi have been in were in the low 20's for most of the summer and I am holding the growing on tank at that temperature even now. all 17 have been reared since birth in the same conditions and with the same food etc. and yet - the body shapes are so different. I'll track them over the next stint and we'll take another look at them with the video camera in the spring....

I have around 200 from this year's spawning growing no too - not sure whether any will turn out well, and there are 1 or 2 that stand out; will get some footage over the holidays...

Adam, seeing how 5-8 month old koi have grown at the low 20s, at around 40 cm if I'm getting it right, I'm envious that you have such optimal conditions for growth. I'm usually at the high 20s, and I don't get my koi to grow that fast. I could if I wanted to, but it would compromise their color development. Your kohaku, however, have very nice coloration.

Jumbo
    I must read this later.......

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    I must read this later.......
    Hi Mark... most of the koi that were in my vat at the South of England koi show (where we met) earlier this year are in this video...

Nisai
    Hi yerrag, the koi in the video are nissai; spawned either in May 14 or Jul 14 - so just over or just under 18 months old depending on the spawning. Growth this summer has been slow in comparison to last year (up to tosai) I had them growing like weeds. This is largely explained by the pond conditions, plus taking them to 3 shows... so all those fish movements, plus not feeding before the shows and then having to treat for parasites after the shows.. shortened the summer growing season for me. Will be interesting to see how they grow over the next 4 to 6 months

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamByer View Post
    Hi Mark... most of the koi that were in my vat at the South of England koi show (where we met) earlier this year are in this video...
    I looked at your post but when doing so figured I should look at the show pics I took but haven't got around to doing so yet.

i though I made a blog post? Or was it on FB?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamByer View Post
    Hi yerrag, the koi in the video are nissai; spawned either in May 14 or Jul 14 - so just over or just under 18 months old depending on the spawning. Growth this summer has been slow in comparison to last year (up to tosai) I had them growing like weeds. This is largely explained by the pond conditions, plus taking them to 3 shows... so all those fish movements, plus not feeding before the shows and then having to treat for parasites after the shows.. shortened the summer growing season for me. Will be interesting to see how they grow over the next 4 to 6 months
    My mistake, Adam. I'm less envious of its growth now, but impressed nonetheless at the refined patterns you are getting, and keeping the color developing well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast