Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Koi Pond Filter Set-up!

Fry

New Koi Pond Filter Set-up!

Hello all, just move to a new house and want to build a koi pond. Not going to be a big koi pond, I think is about 17 feet long and 12 feet wide. I don't have much experience with koi, just a little. My old house a have a little koi also, but I did not like the koi setup by the original owner. But here I am trying to build a new koi pond in the spring and I will try to build by myself. I already have some of the koi filter with me, I have 1 Savio skimmer large size, 1 Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 6000 Filter, 1 Cetus sieve and DIY bakki shower tray filter. I think all my setup not gravity filter but I will pump filter. My main question is I don't know how to tie all this filter that I already have in order to work together. If anybody would like to help me out that setup, I will appreciate for the help very much. If anybody have some kind of sketch about the system that would be really nice, but anything would help. Oh I think my koi pond will be about 4 feet deep, my wife she don't want the koi pond very deep. Thank

Could this setup work: Bottom Drain to Cetus Sieve, then Pump to Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II Filter to Bakki Shower. But that leave my Savio Skimmer some where? Any help?

Where are you located? Internet advice can be helpful, but to get the big picture of how everything works together I think it best to be able to talk with someone with practical experience with the specific equipment. With your location, we may be able to direct you to someone nearby.

BTW, how deep do you intend to have it?

Fry
    I live in Denver, Colorado. I don't plan to hire do this koi pond, plan to do everything myself. My Koi pond will be about 4 to 4.5 feet deep.

Quote Originally Posted by philipnguyen View Post
    I live in Denver, Colorado. I don't plan to hire do this koi pond, plan to do everything myself. My Koi pond will be about 4 to 4.5 feet deep.
    I would follow the advice given and check some koi ponds in your area
    In a colder climate the depth should be the ground frost foundation depth in your municipality with 3ft added. Also insulate sides if you have clay soil condition as frost penetrates deeper. A tent structure should be added as well for the winter months.
    Regards
    Eugene

Fry
    I just want to know it's okay the way I set-up my filter system? Or what do you guys think about the filter setup? I would like to set-up some kind of jet for the pond, but haven't found a way to tie all together with my current setup. Any Help? Thank

The basic concept of gravity flow from a bottom drain to a sieve and then pumping to a bead filter and then a shower is certainly OK. Sizing everything (including pipe) to work together may be an issue. At 4.5' deep, and assuming straight sides, your pond would be around 6,800 U.S. gallons. It would be best if you were moving over 7,000 gallons per hour through the system. The sieve would need to be sized to handle that sort of flow. I am uncertain whether your proposed bead filter can handle that in practical operation. I am not familiar with it, but know they seldom handle as much in actual operation as they theoretically could. Manufacturer statements of "up to XXXXXX" leaves a lot of room to be much less than "XXXXXX". I would suggest using the skimmer for a second filtration system with piped returns. The shower will not give you much rotational circulation (which greatly increases bottom drain efficiency in removing waste), so adding piped returns gives you the opportunity to accomplish that.

Eugene's point is a serious one. If you plan to keep your koi outdoors over winter, the depth should be sufficient to deal with the pond freezing over during a bad winter. If you need to go deeper, you add water volume and then may need additional filtration (depending on stocking level). Being in Florida, I do not have those sorts of winter issues, but I see lots of reports every Spring of folks who lost their koi over the winter, including in 6,000 gallon ponds.

In the Denver area the Rocky Mountain Koi Club is active. There are a number of members in the Denver suburbs. Check out their website. Before spending a bunch of cash, go visit some members' ponds and see what really works and gives results consistent with your goals. There are great DIY ponds all around the country whose owners got it right only after the second, third or fourth attempt. It really is best to avoid the mistakes of others by seeing what really works in your locale. ....And, ask the owner what they would do differently. There is almost always something.

Good luck!

Fry
    Hello Mike, do you think you could sketch the system you just describe on your post. It's make sense when I see the picture, if not it's okay. Thank

Sansai
    Photograph the site.
    Photograph the bits and pieces you intend stringing together
    Do a drawing of the shape of the pond in relation to the house or garden layout
    Show which side the prevailing wind blows from for the best positioning of your weir or skimmer.
    Give people a drawing of this filter system you have in mind
    You will then get feed back
    There are books galore on Koi ponds etc
    Remember the first pond is usually a horse up. Too shallow Too small Dead spots A cute bridge leading to an island.Bottom drains are 50 mm
    No shut off valves to dump water from the filters
    Water from the bottom drains directly into the pump impeller, resulting in a cloud of suspension.
    Pump selection Filter capacity
    The list goes on and on
    The most important thing ! It must look neat and professional
    Please no ring of boulders placed around the perimeter of the pond, Yuck
    Ala some USA koi ponds seen.

Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    The most important thing ! It must look neat and professional
    Please no ring of boulders placed around the perimeter of the pond, Yuck
    Ala some USA koi ponds seen.
    Garfield
    Just curious, can you post pictures of DIY built ponds that you think look neat and professional?

Quote Originally Posted by philipnguyen View Post
    Hello Mike, do you think you could sketch the system you just describe on your post. It's make sense when I see the picture, if not it's okay. Thank
    I'm not much of a sketch artist. If you check the 'Best of Bito forum there is an old thread about my pond being built. Look for 'polyurea spray liner pond'. Wade through it and you'll see photos with Savio skimmers acting as pre-filters for a circuit that runs to a shower filter, and a circuit that goes to a bead filter.

I'm also bumping up a thread on the construction of HenryC's pond from years back.

The interesting aspect of these two ponds is that they have the same sorts of filtration, but configured differently. I used a settlement chamber for mechanical prior to Nexus units. Henry ended up with a sieve.

While we were paying folks to build to build our ponds, the ideas are all useable for the DIY'er.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast