Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM
  • 1 Post By Tommy Jon

Thread: case studies of some of my home bred kohaku

Nisai

case studies of some of my home bred kohaku

​happy new year.

I've spent the christmas holiday writing up case studies of some home breds spawned in 2014, and there has been some interesting learning by laying out the pics and video, and watching the development of the red's, patterns and body.

I'm up to case study #11, and you find them here:

Case Studies Of Individual Koi - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

a couple of notable ones, that were the koi that achieved really well on the show circuit, especially considering they were home bred:

Case study #9 - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

Case Study #8 - The home bred kohaku that won my first Young Champion award - Adam Byer - Koi Hobbyist

Hope you all enjoy and happy, health and successfull 2016.

Adam

Thanks for posting, Adam.

For those who purchase tosai, check out the most recent photos/video and select the one(s) you would welcome to your pond. Then focus on the Fall 2014 photos and ask yourself, 'would I have purchased this tosai?' If your answer is, 'probably not', figure out why you were negative/hesitant about the tosai.

For those interested in Adam's home breeding efforts, check out Mark Gardner's interview of him: Back Garden Breeding - An Interview with Adam Byer » Nishikigoi.Life

Well done, Adam. Excellent interview, Mark.
    coolwon likes this.

Tosai

Koi Breeding

Hi all Koiheads’
    Continued case study of last years (post).
    In brief My Kohaku had spawned July 2016 (using my old method) , producing aprox. 3,000 fry.
    Fry had moved to three 29 gallon tanks, aeration, and 50% aged water changes daily, and fed brine shrimp 6 times daily. All went well.
    On the 4th week all moved to one 125 gallon tank, 4 large sponge filters, feeding smallest dry granular (70% protein). Within a week I noticed that about 25 fry had grown up to 1.5” while 90% of fry averaged > ½” and some at < ¾”.
    At that time I noticed largest fry lost interest in granular food and started hunting the small fry, in my panic than I removed large fry to their own 75 gallon tank trying to give the small fry a better chance to survive.
    A year later now the large fry is reaching the size off 6 -7 “ while the small fry avg >2”.
    This brings me to this year spawning observation.
    This year, I decided to spawn Hi Utsuri trio, all went well, 3000+ fry using McDonala Jar System, ( I prefer my old system of spawning) however this time after 4 weeks I moved all fry to a 125 gallon Tank Using 2 Eheim 17 canister filters (screen covers on intake) .
    20% daily water changes and 4 large air stones. All is well, water is Chrystal clear
    Fry is fed granular 70% protein.
    The only one change I made this time is that I keep all fry in one 125 tank.
    Small fry avg. ½” and large fry (aprox 40) avg 2” and growing fast.
    It is evident large hunts the small and I believe that this is what nature intended to.
    I will keep you posted.
    Best Regards,
    Jacob
    coolwon likes this.

Successfully raising up koi fry in an aquarium takes effort. Congrats!

Keep in mind that Nature intends that there be no koi, but only carp.

Koi breeders work with much larger numbers, so it is not valid to draw conclusions from comparing aquarium production with mudpond production. Nonetheless, I am curious about the outcome of last year's spawning. Are the larger 6-7" tosai well-patterned Kohaku? Or, something else?

Breeders find that the fast growing ones are generally of lesser quality than the slower growing fry, but that is not the only reason they get culled in favor of the slower growing ones. There is a commercial aspect. Consumption of the small fry lowers the production level, affecting the economic viability of the spawning. In effect, the large fry are doing the culling based on size, rather than the breeder culling based on traits sought to reach a goal. Even a large fry with traits worth keeping is a negative for a breeder if it consumes a hundred small fry with desired traits.

For the hobbyist, dealing with hundreds of koi is a problem more than an opportunity. Backyard breeders, and even more so for hobbyists using aquaria, there simply isn't space to raise up thousands to a point where an untrained eye can make intelligent selections beyond culling deformities. So, letting the large fry do the culling for you makes about as much practical sense as any approach.... if you eliminate the large ones that do not match your goal, such as solid color ones. Still, if there are multiple aquaria available (and the inclination to do the extra work), it seems worthwhile to me to devote space to some of the small fry in the hope of having a few more better quality ones in the end.

BTW, if your goal is to have Hi Utsuri, only the hatchlings which were 'black' (dark) should have been kept. The 'white' (cream/yellowish) ones should be culled at the start. This initial culling shortly after the fry are free swimming can eliminate more than half of the fry in some pairings. If this was not done, there is a real chance that the larger fry were 'white' (cream yellowish), or that many were. These do not develop as Utsuri. So, you could have non-Utsuri consuming small fry that were 'black' at that early hatchling stage. When it is said that Utsuri are 'black based koi', it does not mean that they have a black ground color. (For Hi Utsuri the ground color is orange/red.) It means that black pigment is genetically integral to the fish, which shows in hatchlings in the early days after they become free swimming.

Good luck! Hi Utsuri are so dramatically beautiful when young. They always catch my eye in tosai sale vats.