Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Purifier Polymer - Better than Activated Carbon and Get This- It's Reusable

Purigen, 20L/5.3 gal. by Seachem

Amazon.com $807.21 & Free Shipping

Personally I dont think one needs it anymore if the pond is mature already, filter is adequate and water change is enough.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Personally I dont think one needs it anymore if the pond is mature already, filter is adequate and water change is enough.

I agree with you 100%. How you care for the pond water depends on how much money and effort you can afford to spend on it. And how well spent they are depends on the process capability of the pond and filter design.

Many add-ons to the filter simply mask or at best compensate for poor design. They are still better than not doing something, but needs to be seen as a temporary measure with a view of some redesign in mind in the future. But that window in the future often gets pushed into eternity.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    I agree with you 100%. How you care for the pond water depends on how much money and effort you can afford to spend on it. And how well spent they are depends on the process capability of the pond and filter design.

Many add-ons to the filter simply mask or at best compensate for poor design. They are still better than not doing something, but needs to be seen as a temporary measure with a view of some redesign in mind in the future. But that window in the future often gets pushed into eternity.

While I do not encourage people to use such a filter, at the back of my mind, while I cannot prove or explain it, the use of such a filter has its place in my filter setup which I think is adequate enough for my fish and feed load. I am more comfortable using it than using UV or ozone.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    While I do not encourage people to use such a filter, at the back of my mind, while I cannot prove or explain it, the use of such a filter has its place in my filter setup which I think is adequate enough for my fish and feed load. I am more comfortable using it than using UV or ozone.

That is a matter of judgment and preference and determined by your feel for a pond no one else would know better about.

An example of an add-on that masks filter design inefficiencies would be a protein skimmer. Now I'm not saying protein skimmers have no place in a pond, but in a hypothetical extreme case where every day the protein skimmer collects a lot of nitrogenous intermediates, I would say the pond is producing too much of those by-products. I would take a closer look at how the filters manage waste, both mechanic and biological filters.

I am not sure if protein skimmers can remove tanins and fish hormones as compared to activated carbon and synthetic adborbent resins

It would be a screwdriver to a hammer.

The thing is some color food produce tanins in the water that is very difficult to remove even with daily water change or lots of biofiltration or even use of Rdf ... Activated carbon, ozone and synthetic resin do much better IMO.

That's interesting to know. These types of purifiers IMHO work better and are more cost-effective used in conjunction with good mechanical and biological filters. What is left would be dissolved particles and very fine suspensions. And rid of having to deal with larger particle suspensions and less nitrogenous wastes, they can concentrate on filtering off substances that only these purifiers are capable of filtering. Otherwise, they will be bogged down or rendered less effective.

I can't resist. It can't be like sending in Navy Seals to make good of what poor strategy and execution did to the Middle East. Please send a good pond keeper to the state department, please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast