Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Purifier Polymer - Better than Activated Carbon and Get This- It's Reusable

Purigen removes nitrogenous waste (and some other 'stuff') from the water. So, in theory, rather than going through the nitrification process with the resulting build-up of nitrate, it is simply gone. That is the theory. It makes sense for aquaria. Even a huge hobbyist saltwater aquarium is tiny compared to a koi pond, and the amount of waste is so insignificant compared to what carp produce. Some reef aquarists get great results with it. I would expect the reality of use with a koi pond to be different. I would expect the polymer to become exhausted fairly quickly unless enormous quantities were used, and I would expect there to be some reduction in nitrate, but not to the virtually undetectable level that can be accomplished in a reef aquarium with few fish. I would also expect a reduced impact due to inefficient water movement around the mesh bags, rather than all water running through the polymer beads.

Sacicu has obtained very high water quality parameters. Based on past posts, I know he maintains excellent filtration with lots of fresh water. I suspect all of that fresh water is why the Purigen in his system only needs re-charging 3 or so times per year. With less fresh water added, or added infrequently, I think the Purigen would become exhausted much quicker.

In theory, with Purigen in use, the biofilm of the pond would be different. Nitrifiers would be some lesser percentage of the population, but would still be present to some extent. If a truly huge amount of Purigen was in use, the pond biota would become dependent on its presence to remain stable. There could be a period of 'new pond syndrome' if the Purigen was suddenly removed. In practice, however, it is hard to believe anything so extreme would occur. Rather, it seems to me that the Purigen would add stability, like adding a fourth leg to a 3-legged table. It would still be working (assuming it was re-charged as needed) during all of those little stress periods affecting the biofilm's efficiency.

It seems to me that a good location would be in a shower filter where water would run through the media, but there would have to be very good mechanical pre-filtration to minimize clogging of the mesh bags. Re-charging could be a bear of a chore unless the mesh bags were huge.

I am not ready to spend over $800 on the stuff to be a guinea pig, but would love to hear from more hobbyists about how it has worked for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Purigen, 20L/5.3 gal. by Seachem

Amazon.com $807.21 & Free Shipping
    This is actually a very good price at $40 per litre. There is an internet supply house having a 50% off sale.... 8L for $356 ($44.50 per litre).

The Seachem recommendation is to use one litre per thousand gallons.

Mike,

Seachem actually recommended I place it in my cleanest part of my submerged filter versus inside my bakki.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That is interesting. In my set-up, the closest I could come is the small area of my Nexus units where filtered water returns to the pond. Not much of anything could fit there, and could block the return flow. Unless I modified everything to create a place for Purigen, my Bakki shower would be the only available place.

Did Seachem give you a reason to avoid placement in your Bakki?

I cant remember the reason but I think the bag will last longer if it is placed in the submerged filter while the effect will be basically the same after some time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dear Friends,

I remember In post " What is your suggestion for 30,000 L/H water treatment? " I post a flow diagram of water purification for drinking water. I have very close friendship with that person who gave that diagram.

Here is what I've learned:

GAC (Granular activated carbon)will remove Chlorine, odder, color, taste, treatments solutions and little effect on chloramine and other chemicals from water.
    GAC is an organic adsorbent. this mean it needs to back washed and reactivation before Saturation.
    Saturated GAC will release color odder and taste back to water.
    If Saturated GAC will powdered soon.
    GAC will powdered by aging, Yearly need to recharge GAC tank by adding 30% new GACs .
    GAC Need to be back washed at least once a week and reactivated in 15 days.
    GAC will reactivate by chemicals(so expensive but highly effective) and heating by oven, and easily Direct Steaming or drowning warm/boiled water.

For avoiding to running powdered GACs in to system there is a small 5μ filter.

I think and remember that Purigen is also need to be reactivated in each 6 months.

I am only familiar with GAC being used for aquaria and for de-chlorination of water where there is a constant in-flow trickle of new water into a koi pond. As far as I am aware, it is replaced as needed without anyone going through the effort required to 're-charge' it. It would undoubtedly enhance water quality, but the cost and work involved has resulted in it not being used for ponds. Pond filtration systems are not designed to accommodate GAC, resins, etc. It would be interesting to see a design that accommodates several thousand gallons per hour flowing through GAC without a significant risk of clogging, and has ready access for maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I am only familiar with GAC being used for aquaria and for de-chlorination of water where there is a constant in-flow trickle of new water into a koi pond. As far as I am aware, it is replaced as needed without anyone going through the effort required to 're-charge' it. It would undoubtedly enhance water quality, but the cost and work involved has resulted in it not being used for ponds. Pond filtration systems are not designed to accommodate GAC, resins, etc. It would be interesting to see a design that accommodates several thousand gallons per hour flowing through GAC without a significant risk of clogging, and has ready access for maintenance.
    Dear Mike,

I am almost agree with you. I personally used it in very small ponds and Aquariums. But as you said it is very effective in removing color, taste and odder of water and help to freshness of water. in these time I had visit from 3 mineral water bottling, soft drink (Iran Pepsi bottling), and bitburger bottling lines. all of them uses GAC for water treatment and purification in same way. water quality affect directly on drinks quality. But they earn money by this way and has "Economic justification" for them to build 10k GAC tank with Back washing and re-charge/ reactivation facilities and etc. But there should be a possible way to use it in ponds with lower costs. I remember that I read in somewhere for each thousands litter at least need 1kg of GAC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123