Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Purifier Polymer - Better than Activated Carbon and Get This- It's Reusable

Water Purifier Polymer - Better than Activated Carbon and Get This- It's Reusable

This sugar-based polymer pulls out pollultants from water at 10x the rate of activated carbon, and it's reusable.

Reusable, sugar-based polymer purifies water fast | Ars Technica

Wonder when it gets from the lab to a product that we can buy and use. Whether it will be cost-effective to be added to the pond filtration process will be an interesting thing to find out.

Interesting.

Activated carbon has long been used in the aquarium hobby, but just is not practical for ponds due to numerous issues. The biggie is that it is most effective when the particles are small, which makes it difficult to set up a system where huge volumes of water can flow freely through a bed of it without it being washed away or clogged by small particulates. What is considered excellent mechanical filtration for a pond does not come close to what is required to avoid clogging of effectively sized carbon.

Interesting indeed.

Makes me wonder if we'll see this type of use in ponding within the near future. It'd be interesting to see if pollutant adsorbers take place of biological filters. It would eliminate issues associated with seasonal variance of bacteria colonies. Imagine not even having a a biofilter as the water would "purified" with a large cartridge filter. Hmmmm.....

I happen to use purigen polymer resin as part of my filter which removes some DOC and can be reuse and reactivated several times by soaking it with strong chlorinated water for a few hours.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sacicu: I have wondered about using purigen, but have not done anything. How do you incorporate purigen into your filtration system? How much do you use? How frequently are you needing to re-charge?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sacicu: I have wondered about using purigen, but have not done anything. How do you incorporate purigen into your filtration system? How much do you use? How frequently are you needing to re-charge?
    I have 10 mesh fiter bags of purigen for my 22000 liter pond. I tie the purigen net sacks all up and put them in the cleanest part of my submerged filter. Thrice a year, once I see the purigen begin to turn brownish in color, I take them out and soak it in clorox for a day and then soak it in a sodium thiosulfate solution to remove the chlorine it has adsorbed before I put them back in.

[QUOTE=sacicu;219689]I have 10 mesh fiter bags of purigen for my 22000 liter pond. I tie the purigen net sacks all up and put them in the cleanest part of my submerged filter. Thrice a year, once I see the purigen begin to turn brownish in color, I take them out and soak it in clorox for a day and then soak it in a sodium thiosulfate solution to remove the chlorine it has adsorbed before I put them back in.

Could you please explain how the purigen bags left out for months help with filtration ??
    Regards
    Eugene

[QUOTE=Eugeneg;219690]
    Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    I have 10 mesh fiter bags of purigen for my 22000 liter pond. I tie the purigen net sacks all up and put them in the cleanest part of my submerged filter. Thrice a year, once I see the purigen begin to turn brownish in color, I take them out and soak it in clorox for a day and then soak it in a sodium thiosulfate solution to remove the chlorine it has adsorbed before I put them back in.

Could you please explain how the purigen bags left out for months help with filtration ??
    Regards
    Eugene
    It adsorbs dissolve organic In the water only as per manufacturer. I really cannot say how it helps my filter system as I have very good clarity with zero ammonia, nitrites and nitrates ever since with good growth rates. My intention really was to substitute the activated carbon I used to put when I still had a new immature filter to give that exceptional clarity even without use of ozone or UV regardless of moderate feeding all year without shade (pond does get morning sun only and water temp ranges from 23 to peak of 27.5C during summer)

[QUOTE=sacicu;219691][QUOTE=Eugeneg;219690]
    It adsorbs dissolve organic In the water only as per manufacturer. I really cannot say how it helps my filter system as I have very good clarity with zero ammonia, nitrites and nitrates ever since with good growth rates. My intention really was to substitute the activated carbon I used to put when I still had a new immature filter to give that exceptional clarity even without use of ozone or UV regardless of moderate feeding all year without shade (pond does get morning sun only and water temp ranges from 23 to peak of 27.5C during summer)

So how big are the bags in ml and what cost ? as I understand you need 100ml per 100 gal
    Regards
    Eugene

I believe each bag holds 250ml and cost around 25 dollar for the bag and the purigen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast