Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fasting or Reduced Feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The improved clarity of the shiroji is particularly noticeable, but all pigment colors brighten when a koi is fasted. This occurs even if the water was pristine prior to the fast. Tim touches on the idea I recall JR espousing, that the metabolic wastes produced by all cells as a natural function decline when the koi is not fed. These are more thoroughly cleansed from the body during a fast. Similar to Tim's thought that the skin changes as the koi utilizes stored fat, I believe there is a reduced production of slime coat. So, as the mucus coat sloughs off, there is less replacing it. The result is having pigments more clearly revealed. Of course, to the extent there is improved water quality, the reduced 'irritation' would result in a thinner slime coat. A combination of all these things is likely at work.

I am not aware of any study indicating a positive immunity response due to fasting. The studies I have read show a reduced immune response when a fast lasts more than 10 days or so.
    A short fast would strengthen immunity for humans, although it has to be for humans who can maintain blood sugar thru the fast. A long fast would be counterproductive. I'm not sure about koi fasting but I would think they also benefit from short fasts.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    A short fast would strengthen immunity for humans, although it has to be for humans who can maintain blood sugar thru the fast. A long fast would be counterproductive. I'm not sure about koi fasting but I would think they also benefit from short fasts.
    It depends where you live mine are going through a 3 month fast right now only food right now is the fine moss at sides of pond
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    It depends where you live mine are going through a 3 month fast right now only food right now is the fine moss at sides of pond
    Regards
    Eugene
    They're not fasting. They're hibernating

Sansai

Water temperature

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Regards
    Eugene

Glad I found this thread again. I wasnt sure. I was wondering why my koi suddenly have better shiroji and color plumpness when I had them on a recent fasting session. Not intentional, I just ran out of food and knew that an occassional fasting was beneficial for the koi. Ordered my food online and now they are back to their feeding routine. Very noticeable difference on my three young shiro utsuri. Was really liking the whiteness, and now after two weeks of regular feeding, their heads are not so white anymore

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Glad I found this thread again. I wasnt sure. I was wondering why my koi suddenly have better shiroji and color plumpness when I had them on a recent fasting session. Not intentional, I just ran out of food and knew that an occassional fasting was beneficial for the koi. Ordered my food online and now they are back to their feeding routine. Very noticeable difference on my three young shiro utsuri. Was really liking the whiteness, and now after two weeks of regular feeding, their heads are not so white anymore
    How long did they go without food for?

Did you go back to the original make of food?

Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    How long did they go without food for?

Did you go back to the original make of food?

Garfield
    8 days fast. Yes, I have been mixing Hikari Staple and wheat germ with Dainichi growth.

Thought about trying Tomigai, but like Kenzen, it's hard to get in Hawaii without big shipping cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    8 days fast. Yes, I have been mixing Hikari Staple and wheat germ with Dainichi growth.

Thought about trying Tomigai, but like Kenzen, it's hard to get in Hawaii without big shipping cost.

Now that a color change has become apparent stop feeding them again and see what sort of result you get.

Then play around with each individual food and see what happens.

Do your temperatures warrant wheatgerm?

Garfield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What water temperatures warrant wheat germ? I thought it was good all year long. I don't get much fluctuations in water temperature throughout the year here. 68-78 degrees all year long. I can probably feed them Growth food all year long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12