Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Showing Non-Competitive Koi

I wonder if unique is even a proper way to describe a koi that escaped a culling because the keeper saw some potential in it and was amply rewarded in its beauty. The beauty is affirmed in a koi show, not as much by the award given as much as the attention given it by visitors, and photos taken of it. But defying categorization and being admired, that would truly be unique.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

I know it is a lot of work organizing and executing a koi show. But having "fun" categories for non-competitive koi could be something that could really increase participation and membership for koi clubs and related businesses. It definitely would be a movement that would have to catch on. I think the standard (conformation) would still be most important for the categories as this would keep to the learning aspect of the hobby. After that, the sky is the limit. Anyone got suggestions?

Non-competitive categories:

Body Conformation (Female/Male)

Show Favorite (Female/Male)- voted by visitors

Unique Koi Award (Female/Male)- voted by visitors

I think the hard part would be to NOT alienate members or participants as those "non-competitive" guys. Like every hobby out there, I notice that there are always divisons in the clubs. It cannot be helped, as there are many folks who get into hobbies for different reasons. Difficulty usually starts with the more experienced enthusiast and or the purest who just can't get keep quiet when it comes to others personal enjoyment or "level of enjoyment". I'm sure not all clubs are like this, but people talk and sometimes make members feel like they are outside the circle. Still I think everyone likes the clubs for the learning experiences and that is always GREAT!

I like the idea of calling out such things as "Best Skin", "Best Colour" etc. regardless of other attributes as an educational tool.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    I like the idea of calling out such things as "Best Skin", "Best Colour" etc. regardless of other attributes as an educational tool.

Many years ago I attended a Show where they had a Vat of 5 Showa. A Test was handed out and we got to Judge "Best White", "Best Black", Best Red", "Best Conformation" & "Best Over All". Really helps to break a Koi down.
    ricshaw likes this.

Having set categories in relation to number of entries and then just adding any other category will prove the most logical
    Regards
    Eugene

In the recent concluded national koi show in our country, I was part of the show committee and we decided that due to the sheer number of hobbyist and koi joining this year, there was a decision to increase the number of awards and trophies without resorting to giving away unnecessary or useless awards. First, for the new comers and/or those with lower budget there was a lower priced gosanke koi grow out competition. This involved around 150 growout koi with equal quality at around the lower price range. They had their own GC, RGC, tategoi, best showa, sanke, kohaku awards. Then there was the high end growout competition which pitted more serious hobbyist that spent more on higher quality jumbo tosais from reputable dealers. Although around 80 should have joined, some hobbyist including me opted not to bring in their respective growouts. The awards were the same as the lower price mix grade gosankes. For the open show category, this year we broke down the bu to half to accomodate more koi from winning and reduce the advantage of bigger koi in a particular bu. so when before we had just 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80bu. Now we had 20, 25, 30,35,40,45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70,75,80, 85 above bu in both nongosanke and gosanke class. In addition, we decided to give award not only the 1st but also the 2nd place for the gosanke award. However, we felt for nongosanke, only one winner per size shall be given considering the field in the nongosanke class is less competitive than in the gosanke class. The best in variety awards of gosanke and nongosanke awards were only reserved for one variety each regardless of size. The major awards were the same as previous year which added the superior male champion for the first time. The increase in awards meant a proportion of just 10 percent trophies as compared to the number of entries and this meant while there was more awards, the competition for any award was hard to not only promote the hobby by showing some of the very best koi in the country during the koishow but also entice hobbyist from different levels to improve in their selecting and koikeeping skills. We did also ruled a step up judging rule which meant if a koi won a major award, that particular koi could not win anymore a lesser award. This provided more chance to others to win and prevent major winners to also capture minor awards.

We have continued to resist to give out awards that made no sense to the decision making of the majority of the judges or to the quality of the koi such as Friendship award, most unique koi award, special judge choice award, shimegai award or visitors favorite choice awards which are popular in other koi shows here.

I have to say I am surprised every year on how japanese breeder judge and this year was no exception. This year there was a lot of upsets in the open categories with some lower priced koi beating out higher priced koi as compared to previous years. I hope the effect of it would be more hobbyist with good selecting and koi keeping skills but with less budget participate in future koi shows. In the gosanke class, the cheaper but still very expensive price sanke beat the more expensive sanke sibling from the same breeder by just one vote. On the nongosanke side, a 102cm chagoi beat several 80 plus bu much expensive nongosankes while a relatively inexpensive 85cm ginrin kohaku beat out some of the best jumbo shiros which cost much more in best in size 80bu above nongosanke which is the 2nd highest award for nongosanke during the show. On the smaller to 50bu there were a few local bred in the gosanke and nongosanke koi defeating more expensive japanese koi in a very competitive field.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There is a great deal of thought that goes into deciding what prizes to award in any koi show, as evidenced by what Homer (Sacicu) has shared. It reflects the orientation of the organizers of the koi show. A koi show run by a club of volunteers would probably be more folksy than one organized by a dealer. Not to say that a dealer show is any less fun to attend, but that the focus in a dealer show would probably be more on being competitive than on being unique. Entries would likely be curated to encourage more gosanke entries, as this category is where koi enthusiasts develop a deeper appreciation of what makes a GC and what makes another a reserve champion. Learning what is defines what is not as well. But this is a process for the keen observer to imbibe in over many years of going to koi shows. Having an entry in the competitive category further accelerates the learning curve, as this is an education that cannot be gained vicariously. That learning is even boosted when one experiences the arduous process of selecting and raising a koi in a competitive class for many years. When one understands the difficulty involved, the more one appreciates the challenges a winning koi has undergone.

But not everyone fully appreciates what it means to win GC or a major competitive award. Many are beginners who can't fathom what the fuss is. Given that the journey to GC is a very challenging process, koi keepers may find it helps to appreciate the other rewarding aspects of koi keeping. I can tell you that there are many more reasons than you would care to know, but let's just start with appreciating the many koi that are not gosanke. Go back to when you decided to go into the hobby, and you may recall how attracted you were to the golden color of a yamabuki, or to the powerful look of a chagoi that turned out to be as friendly as it is huge. I've not personally seen all the koi the world offers, but I'd like to see a shusui that is yellow instead of red (maybe it's no longer called a shusui). I admit that with so much variety just keeping up with the names for each is also a challenge. From all the beauty that is to be appreciated in the less competitive side of koi keeping, there would surely be a unique one that comes along that would just be so gorgeous that it would be the talk of the show. The GC shouldn't be afraid of its thunder being taken away, it should welcome this pleasant oddity, for it brings the koi show to a higher level of interest. And if a koi show isn't making outsiders excited, here is one way to kick up the oooomph factor.

[QUOTE=sacicu;220081]In the recent concluded national koi show in our country, I was part of the show committee and we decided that due to the sheer number of hobbyist and koi joining this year, there was a decision to increase the number of awards and trophies without resorting to giving away unnecessary or useless awards. First, for the new comers and/or those with lower budget there was a lower priced gosanke koi grow out competition. This involved around 150 growout koi with equal quality at around the lower price range. They had their own GC, RGC, tategoi, best showa, sanke, kohaku awards.

That is just amazing numbers. How many fish were there entered in total? Especially when one looks at the minimum wage of just 60c per hr. It points strongly to koi keeping being very cultural
    Regards
    Eugene

There were 80 vats that housed more than 600 koi with lots of very high quality koi from size 1 to size 8.
    I am not sure about the growth of the koi hobby and increase in participation in the national koi show is just about a cultural thing but it could be a reason. I do think there are other factors at play.

I do think when hobbyists do not feel isolated and get to talk with different hobbyist, the hobby becomes more enjoyable and they not only NOT loose interest in the hobby but progress. This is only way for the quality and number of koi being entered in the koi show every year to keep on getting more but also better.

Also if hobbyist feel the risk to join a koi show is minimal already, hobbyist will have confidence in entering their koi to a show. I am happy to say that as water quality and koi safety officer during the koishow for 2 consecutive years, many hobbyist appreciate if their beloved koi are well taken care during a well organized koi show.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    There were 80 vats that housed more than 600 koi with lots of very high quality koi from size 1 to size 8.

Thats amazingly awesome! AND a lot of work organizing and putting on such a large show. Almost like dogs shows, except that dogs don't need air and good water. Just throw them in the crates with air (fans) till show time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast