Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Showing Non-Competitive Koi

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Thats amazingly awesome! AND a lot of work organizing and putting on such a large show. Almost like dogs shows, except that dogs don't need air and good water. Just throw them in the crates with air (fans) till show time.
    Yes. It does take a LOT of work behind the scenes and during the show dates to put on a koishow. It does also cost a lot.

Like in previous years, although its a dealer initiated and subsidized annual activity, we still had a lot of committees all working together to make it a success. Mind you we do not have a formal koi club handing it or making decisions. Volunteer hobbyist with skills and passion handle some of the
    working committees from awards/trophies, public relations and publicity, photography and video, benching, food, program and water quality/ safety which I handle.

Btw, the show was held for 2 days as such some koi stayed in vats without filters for more than 48 hours. We used pure oxygen to aerate the koi vats instead of just airpumps. The koi vats, show koi health, water quality and air supply were guarded and monitored for 24 hours. Quarantine and disinfection procedures were also carefully followed to ensure no cross contamination.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Yes. It does take a LOT of work behind the scenes and during the show dates to put on a koishow. It does also cost a lot.

Like in previous years, although its a dealer initiated and subsidized annual activity, we still had a lot of committees all working together to make it a success. Mind you we do not have a formal koi club handing it or making decisions. Volunteer hobbyist with skills and passion handle some of the
    working committees from awards/trophies, public relations and publicity, photography and video, benching, food, program and water quality/ safety which I handle.

Btw, the show was held for 2 days as such some koi stayed in vats without filters for more than 48 hours. We used pure oxygen to aerate the koi vats instead of just airpumps. The koi vats, show koi health, water quality and air supply were guarded and monitored for 24 hours. Quarantine and disinfection procedures were also carefully followed to ensure no cross contamination.

Homer, it's a very well-prepared and a successful show. It gets better each year. Koi owners value foremost their koi. I had to control my temper when I was backing my car to unload my koi only because one koi owner with a short fuse was shouting obscenities because he thought I was going to back into his boxes of koi, awaiting transfer to the show area. I held back when I realized if I were in his shoes, I would just be as ill-tempered. But I'm pretty sure that was the only crisis for both him and me for the rest of the show. You did a great job again this year. The koi are relaxed at the show and they were just as composed going back to their pond.

I noticed there were violet lighting added this year. It is a visible upgrade to the show, although there must be a hundred unnoticed upgrades for every one noticed. I'm no expert on lighting, but I felt it helped showcase the koi without unduly pumping up their color tones and unduly flattening out contrast in the beni. But some koi vats were without this lighting, so it would help if they were given the same lighting as the majority who had.

Metro Manila is one of the hellish places in the world for driving. Traffic conditions are as bad in regular rush hours as in school dismissal hours, and we get a double take at night, since we have plenty of call centers whose hours are on our graveyard shifts, as our call centers mostly cater to the US office hours, which are from offset 12-15 hours from our time. Plus, trucks that can't get enough delivery done during the small window between the morning and dusk rush hours (where a truck ban is in effect) get to use the night to finish their work. Even through midnight to the wee hours of the morning, our main streets remain clogged. It doesn't help that our traffic enforcers are only half effective. They are powerless workers who can easily be stared down by motorists in sunglasses with a rough low voice, and who have the semblance of being a powerful politician. Which is why black and towering SUVs are so popular in Manila, as it is a ticket to a quick ride around town. Our public transport system- buses, jeepneys, taxis - are also as bad, being protected by politicians. We don't have the political will to change the system. We just keep building flyovers to "solve" the problem. Our light rail transit is a godsend, but cracking at the seams. It is being expanded now, and that is a good thing.

That wasn't just a diatribe on our hellish traffic system (and Waze is a good thing to have). It just tells me that it is a major effort for people to come together to volunteer to do something for free, much less for something they are spending on to volunteer. Perhaps that is a reason why there is no koi club in Manila. It is just better for someone who has a stake in the business of koi to organize a koi show, and be the glue or the nerve center for the koi show. The dealer acts as the de facto leader of an informal group of koi volunteers, as the dynamics of a club in the Philippines is very different than that of a koi club in the US, where I have the fortune of staying for a good number of years and have seen how being with the Sierra Club and mountaineering clubs, I see the dedication and cooperation involved would be a lot harder to replicate in our local setting. It would be exceptional for local groups to get together and have tasks farmed out to members smoothly. Often is the case that the president of a club would have to do 90% of the heavy lifting that it wears down on the leadership and effectiveness of the club.

So I'm glad that we have two koi shows in Metro Manila yearly, and that both of these shows are headed by koi dealers who import koi from Japan.

And yes, as Eugene made mention of, it is indeed a cultural thing.

Thank you Mike for the assessment. Every year we try to do our best to make improvements with regards to the annual koi show and this year was no exception. Like I said before the addition of more trophies and awards this year was a big improvement from last year to accomodate the double number of entries and more vats this year. The lighting and set up in the venue was also much improved compared to previous years. We have also decided to continue using just pure oxygen despite the higher cost for the whole duration of the show. We have greatly improved the stage and sound system and made changes on the trophy design. On my part, with more water conditioning chemicals and people to handle water changes and monitoring, it was also more easy on my part. We have also reduced the vat fee and the dealer manage to get some free samples of koi food for hobbyist who reserved vats as incentive to show their koi.

Hopefully next year, we will continue to surpass this years achievement and look forward in seeing more hobbyist and koi entered.

Glad to offer my observations, Homer. A koi club where members help educate each other on koi keeping skills, pond design improvement, and engage in freewheeling discussion of improvements is what I mostly find lacking in our de facto arrangement. But knowing that, it is up to the individual hobbyist to make up for it. I'm just glad that the situation can easily be remedied by relying on the internet. Koi Bito is a big help for me in getting me up to speed on the learning curve. And other blogs such as the blogs of Kevin Novak. There are many more resources online that expose and open our minds to different ideas, many of which don't mesh with each other. Yet, it is with being judicious in vetting the plethora of information that we discover and retain useful experience and knowledge. Applied to our care for our koi, we begin to see evidence of our skills in how our koi are appreciated in koi shows. I'm happy to show a non-competitive koi because I see many onlookers stopping and enjoying what's in my vat. I'm happy for the GC winners that they bring their koi for me to enjoy and evaluate its strengths. I'm happy for those who entered and didn't yet win, for their koi is still developing, and if not, they are getting better by learning from the winning entries. And they're enjoying being part of a koi show they can entrust their koi with for a few days.

So I'm glad that we have two koi shows in Metro Manila yearly, and that both of these shows are headed by koi dealers who import koi from Japan.

And yes, as Eugene made mention of, it is indeed a cultural thing.[/QUOTE]

Sacicu Thanks for explaining. In Ontario our largest province we do not have any koi shows nor koi clubs as every time a club was started rules were applied that anyone who imported koi or related products could not be on a board.
    Regards
    Eugene

MCA
    We usually have a Most Unique award at our show. One year we got it for a very old lemon hariwake. The judges simply had not seen one that old that still had good young looking skin and great color. Now if I could only figure out how to bottle that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post

And yes, as Eugene made mention of, it is indeed a cultural thing.
    Sacicu Thanks for explaining. In Ontario our largest province we do not have any koi shows nor koi clubs as every time a club was started rules were applied that anyone who imported koi or related products could not be on a board.
    Regards
    Eugene[/QUOTE]
    I do not agree that a koi club without dealer or dealers part of the board will be stronger versus one with a dealer on board. A dealer has the convincing power to ask for product sponsorship. A dealer can motivate new comers to the hobby to upgrade and motivate his client to join a koi show. A dealer has more connections to look for judges. A dealer has more vested interest to see to it the koishow becomes successful. A dealer can look at the cost to mount a koishow as an investment while a koi club would always see that the koishow needs to at least breakeven. The advantages clearly outweighs the disadvantages and this shows also in Japan why AJKS is more popular and is the bigger show compared to ZNA.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    We usually have a Most Unique award at our show. One year we got it for a very old lemon hariwake. The judges simply had not seen one that old that still had good young looking skin and great color. Now if I could only figure out how to bottle that.....
    Mike, how is that award determined?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234