Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Internationalization Of Koi Breeding

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    With all the domestic breeders and Japanese breeders... does the U.S. really need Polish, Chinese, and Israeli Koi?
    Since Yoshikigoi USA did not have fish at the show, I can only speak based on video displayed at the show as corroborated by what I was told by a few who have seen the Polish koi in person. The body lines of the Yoshikigoi metallics displayed were excellent. While there are many varieties being produced, it was the metallics that stood out to me. I have only seen a couple of Japanese-bred metallics with such good body form. The level of shine on nisai and sansai was equal to the very, very best I have seen imported from Japan. Having both the body form and that level of shine combined in individual koi exceeded anything I have seen outside photos of top koi at major Japanese shows. So, yes, I think there is a niche the Polish koi can fill in the U.S. that is not being filled by Japan. However, these are not inexpensive koi. To date, the U.S. market for metallics priced over $2,000 has been small to non-existent. We are accustomed to seeing small shiny bling koi that mostly crap out as nisai or sansai. The big question in my mind is whether having such remarkable examples available will grow the market. There are very few U.S. koikeepers willing to spend $3500-$6,000 on a nisai. The few who are willing to spend that much are gosanke/shiro utsuri keepers. Will such koikeepers be ready to include a couple of metallics when they see ones with gosanke-like body form? What if the body and shine are world class, but the pattern is ho-hum? A comparatively poor pattern does not stand in the way of the gosanke-keeper spending big bucks on body and lustre. Will an unimpressive pattern be a barrier to branching out? I expect it will be, but have no idea of how high that bar will be compared to the pattern bar for gosanke purchases. How will judges react? We will see.

Personally, I foresee greater competition for Tsubaki awards, but expect it will be a very long time before bias against metallics fades away in the show ring.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Since Yoshikigoi USA did not have fish at the show, I can only speak based on video displayed at the show as corroborated by what I was told by a few who have seen the Polish koi in person. The body lines of the Yoshikigoi metallics displayed were excellent. While there are many varieties being produced, it was the metallics that stood out to me. I have only seen a couple of Japanese-bred metallics with such good body form. The level of shine on nisai and sansai was equal to the very, very best I have seen imported from Japan. Having both the body form and that level of shine combined in individual koi exceeded anything I have seen outside photos of top koi at major Japanese shows. So, yes, I think there is a niche the Polish koi can fill in the U.S. that is not being filled by Japan. However, these are not inexpensive koi. To date, the U.S. market for metallics priced over $2,000 has been small to non-existent. We are accustomed to seeing small shiny bling koi that mostly crap out as nisai or sansai. The big question in my mind is whether having such remarkable examples available will grow the market. There are very few U.S. koikeepers willing to spend $3500-$6,000 on a nisai. The few who are willing to spend that much are gosanke/shiro utsuri keepers. Will such koikeepers be ready to include a couple of metallics when they see ones with gosanke-like body form? What if the body and shine are world class, but the pattern is ho-hum? A comparatively poor pattern does not stand in the way of the gosanke-keeper spending big bucks on body and lustre. Will an unimpressive pattern be a barrier to branching out? I expect it will be, but have no idea of how high that bar will be compared to the pattern bar for gosanke purchases. How will judges react? We will see.
    Personally, I foresee greater competition for Tsubaki awards, but expect it will be a very long time before bias against metallics fades away in the show ring.
    Mike pretty much hit the nail on the head... most of the U.S. Koi hobbyist willing to spend $3500. and up for a nisai are interested in gosanke varieties which is what the U.S. West Coast Shinkokai Koi dealers are importing. These dealers are not forcing the supply, they are supplying the demand for high quality Koi. We will have to wait and see how profitable Polish Koi are in America.

As for the comment about "pattern", ZNA teaches that body, skin, beni, sumi, & shiroji are very important.

Mark Gardner's latest posting on the 2016 harvest at Yoshikigoi and his impressions from visits with Mat McCann and Bill McGurk are very much on point:

2016 Harvest Highlights - Yoshikigoi ยป Nishikigoi.Life

Mark's sense that there are world class metallics (and doitsu, too) coming out of the Polish mud is not something to ignore. Market success in the U.S. remains an open question.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234