Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Whats is a soft beni? how to differentiate a soft from a hard beni?

Fry

Whats is a soft beni? how to differentiate a soft from a hard beni?

Hi guys... I was wondering whats is a soft beni? how to differentiate a hard beni from a soft beni?

soft beni is beni that would be elastic that allows growth without causing beni scales to break. Hard beni is the opposite. There is different degrees with regards to softness and hardness. Usually high quality very soft beni last longer than hard beni. Usually it takes some experience to determine the degree how soft or how hard a beni.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you go through the many threads in this forum discussing Hi quality, you will read many efforts at trying to explain 'soft beni". There is much truth in what is said, but words are very unhelpful in actually teaching a person to recognize high quality beni. Sacicu is absolutely correct in saying: "Usually it takes some experience to determine the degree how soft or how hard a beni."

I think the best way to learn is to have a higher-end dealer (or a breeder, or a very experienced hobbyist) show examples of 'hard beni' and 'soft beni', always remembering that beni quality comes in an unending range of degrees. It would be much more accurate if we never used the terms 'hard beni' and 'soft beni', but instead 'harder beni' and 'softer beni'. There is no strict dividing line between the two. There are as many degrees of 'softness' as there are koi. The more experienced the eye, the more degrees of 'softness' that can be discerned.

It can be very disconcerting for the less experienced hobbyist to read all the things said and see two koi with light orangish pigment.... one has weak fading pigment and the other with pale 'soft beni' that will deepen and endure for many years to come. To the novice eye, they can seem alike. To the experienced eye, there is nothing remotely similar.

If there is no dealer with higher end koi close to you that you can visit, then look for a koi show where some higher-end dealers will be vending. When things are slow and the dealers have a bit of time, ask your question and ask that the dealer point out examples. Ask your questions of two or three, and you will begin to see it. Then, train your eye by taking your time to observe the beni on the koi entered in the show and for sale in dealers' vats. The more you see, the better your eye becomes.

The problem in going to a koishow sometimes is that a new hobbyist may not understand the importance of soft and hard beni. Many koi in the smaller size even in Japan have gosanke with hard beni take hope the trophy. This confuses a lot of newbie thinking to win in a koishow even in the bigger sizes, buying the most hard looking bright red with wonderful pattern when young and cheap will result in a even bigger better koi. Only until they grow the koi after a year or two then they realize the importance of softer beni.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk