Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Momotaro April 5, 2016 Auction

Momotaro April 5, 2016 Auction

This is a very interesting auction:

http://www.momotaro-koi.eu/koi-en/

Mostly jumbo tosai are up for auction, but the highlight for me is the emphasis on males. There are 20 nisai male gosanke up for bid. Nobody trumpets their males the way Momotaro does. Having quite a record of awards in the larger size male classes, Momotaro can do it and get high prices. These males are worth examination. It is not often you can see so many males with a future. And, if the prices on these nisai get too high, there are some male jumbo tosai up for bid. It is not often that you see male tosai getting such a spotlight.

One of the things I like to do when auctions get posted is to study how traits differ among koi from the same female parent. This auction gives a bit of a treat for the person interested in studying body form. Give a close inspection to the 10 4-yr Doitsu Karashigoi up for bid. At first, they may all seem alike. Keep comparing one to another and the differences will begin to stand out. Look at how the heads transition into the body, the proportions from head to dorsal and from dorsal to caudal fin, the shoulders and the degree to which the body lines are streamlined. With so many mature doitsu of a single color, there is little to distract the eye from focusing on the bodies.

When you have gotten tired of those shades of yellow and have your eye trained to focus on body lines, it is time to compare the jumbo tosai from Dynamite Ochiba bloodline.... a large batch of Sanke and a large batch of Kohaku from the same line. I generally do not encourage using tosai to learn about body form. The greedy little things can have gorged tummies, etc. that can be very misleading. These jumbo tosai, however, present a something of a real challenge to identify a 'top 5' body because so many are textbook examples of what is desired. (Then, after an hour or more, switch to the Lion Queen bloodline Showa jumbo tosai. ....Disappointed?
    Last edited by MikeM; 03-28-2016 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

I was curious about the kawarigoi. I'm looking at the karashi. Other than their size potential and nice conformation, what's special about them? Friendly? And the akamuji, what is special about it that sets it apart from other plain jane orange-red koi? Does it have pink solid beni? Also with the doitsu hariwake, what is special about it and what sum might it fetch?

I'm curious as to why they are in the auction and must assume that they are sought after by koi kichi that apart from gosanke, appreciate other varieties and would vote with their wallet.

Interesting also that these are 3yr old oyagois with no name but is described with titles such as of "Lion Queen bloodline." Would the oyagoi's young age be a negative factor when considering its offsprings' potential and value at auction?

I must say the Lion Queen bloodline oyagoi is a beauty though, and it must be because its future must be pre-ordained (as a GC candidate maybe?) that Momotaro is starting to mine this oyagoi with its offsprings.

Why the kawarigoi? Because people will buy them. ...Even the most gosanke-elitists end up wanting something different in the pond. The major auctions all seem to have a few Kawari tossed in to give a bit diversity. For show purposes, the one color koi are all about body and even pigment. You cannot do better than Karashigoi on those points and still have something that brightens the pond. If you are aiming for an award at a District show, these are entry tickets.

What I did find curious was the label 'Akamuji'. We widely see 'Akamuji' used as a negative label. 'Akamuji' compels images of flock spawn crapagoi. They are quickly culled from all Kohaku spawns. The connotation of low quality is so strong that breeders began using 'Higoi' to connote better red. It was the popular label for a long time. In recent years, 'Benigoi' has been pervasive (I think to suggest higher quality... whether or not actually different from the maligned 'Akamuji'). So, why is Momotaro, so oriented to effective marketing, applying 'Akamuji' to a yonsai expected to bring big bucks at auction? I find it very curious. Perhaps the pigment hue is aka rather than hi, so truth in advertising? LOL.

As much as I admire Momotaro, I prefer the Dainichi 'Benigoi' from Showa, even if I have only seen them in photos. But, I've got to admit that Akamuji has a decent body form.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Interesting also that these are 3yr old oyagois with no name but is described with titles such as of "Lion Queen bloodline." Would the oyagoi's young age be a negative factor when considering its offsprings' potential and value at auction?

I must say the Lion Queen bloodline oyagoi is a beauty though, and it must be because its future must be pre-ordained (as a GC candidate maybe?) that Momotaro is starting to mine this oyagoi with its offsprings.
    Beside the highway Maedo San has a large pond about 150 meters long. At one end he has a restaurant and the other end is the Old Boy Restorations show room and guest house. The pond can not be protected by netting so there is a risk factor in having expensive fish in it. Daisuki explained to me that they therefore put fish in that are in the
    $5000 range . People enjoy them from the restaurant as well as the car show room. There were some pricy gosanke pulled out and Maedo San was relived that no fish were lost.
    If it was not for that pond I do not think it would pay to grow lesser varieties to a large size.
    Regards
    Eugene