Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM

Thread: Please, judge these koi

Question Please, judge these koi

Hi, what do you think about these koi ?

1) My favourite koi : My sanke - from Kataoka (Oya Koi farm) - 4 years old - 48cm - female - named Helena

2) My other sanke - from SFF - 3 years old - 52cm - female - named Reiko

3) My kuro-goshiki - from Aoki - 3 years old - 50cm - female - named Yuna

4) My ai-goromo - from Marujyu - 3 years old - 47cm - female - named Akane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please, judge these koi-helena.jpg   Please, judge these koi-reiko.jpg   Please, judge these koi-yuna.jpg   Please, judge these koi-akane.jpg  

You have a good assortment of better quality koi. They are small for their age compared to the results obtained by those who focus on growth, but are in the size ranges we often saw a dozen or more years ago in the ponds of well-informed hobbyists. And we still see these size ranges where koi are raised in climates where pond temperatures remain cool for much of the year. One consequence of moderate growth is that the color pigments do not become stretched. As a result, the koi can have a more finished appearance and maintain their beauty for a number of years to come. This is unlike the koi raised for growth, which often do not gain a finished appearance until their growth slows.

It can be difficult to tell the sex of a koi in photos. Nonetheless, the first Sanke seems male to my eye, although you say it is female. If a male, he would compete well in his size class at most shows. As a female, I think she needs a bit more bulk to be impressive. The Hi pattern is off balance, but the line of sumi steps on the right side create a sort of balance and are striking due to the intensity of the black. A nice quality Sanke.

Your second Sanke is the one I prefer. Some would consider her head pattern somewhat primitive, but I like distinctive head patterns and this one avoids red covering the eyes. Her body lines are good, her Beni seems soft, the sumi appears to be good quality and is well balanced across her body. We can hope the sumi spots enlarge. When they do, she will be especially eye-catching.

I do not particularly care for Kuro Goshiki, and yours is no exception. She has the bright contrasting color that draws people to this variety and I'm sure she gets attention from visitors. However, like many, her body seems 'front loaded' to me, with an overall form that is neither graceful nor powerful.

Your Ai Goromo, on the other hand, impresses me very much. Because of the way she was moving in the blue tub when the photo was taken, it is not possible to evaluate her body form. Assuming her body is balanced, she has just about everything one could want in an Ai Goromo. Her white is soft, clean and bright. Her Hi is bright. And, the robing is coming in well, without over running the Hi (thus far). I can readily see her winning in her size at a competitive show. Someone could criticize that she does not have much Hi on her head, and what she does have overlaps the eye too much. I would not put too much weight on that shortcoming. The rest of her is too beautiful to get picky over a pattern issue.

As I have said in the past, I am just giving my opinion based on photos. I am not a trained judge, and a photo is not the living koi.
    Alexandre likes this.

Hi Mike,

Thank you, I like to know the opinion of different koi lovers =). it's easy for me to maintain these koi with great colors because where I live the water is very soft (Gh : 8-9). For their age, they didn't ''really'' begin their new year, so for their growth, you can subtract one year. In France, in the north-east during the beginning of spring, the water is still cold (11-14°C).

BTW, I'm sure that the sanke are both females (I saw it during spawning).

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
    Hi Mike,

Thank you, I like to know the opinion of different koi lovers =). it's easy for me to maintain these koi with great colors because where I live the water is very soft (Gh : 8-9). For their age, they didn't ''really'' begin their new year, so for their growth, you can subtract one year. In France, in the north-east during the beginning of spring, the water is still cold (11-14°C).

BTW, I'm sure that the sanke are both females (I saw it during spawning).
    Your springtime water temperature (52-57F/11-14C) is colder than my pond ever gets. What is the highest temperature range your water reaches over the Summer?

The highest temperature that my pond reaches in summer is around 25°C. I remember that during a very hot summer the temperature reached 27°C.
    In winter the pond is frozen with a 20 cm layer of ice .During the last winter the ice was not very thick due to global warming
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please, judge these koi-20150524_080914.jpg   Please, judge these koi-20150524_080825.jpg  

The 24-25C (75-77F) range is ideal for growth. The soft water is very much a positive. I think it says a lot about the brightness of the pigments of your koi.

Hi, as you know my sanke is ill, and she lost the some red scales who formed the red cut (pink circle picture). It's still there but smaller. Is that Something bad or positive for the pattern ? (I don't speak about scars but only about the pattern).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please, judge these koi-reiko.jpg