Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Skin problem

Fry

Skin problem

hi all,
    i have a fish with skin problem, it has been a while but i just dont' know how to treat it, have applied some local fish shop treatment such as yellow powder gen 3, SS2 but still not seeing any improvement.

please take a look on this photo.

thanks
    wong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skin problem-skinissue.jpg  

Hi Wong, please give us more information. About koi. About pond. About filter setup. About water parameters. About pond and filter maintenance procedures. As much information as possible.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Hi Wong, please give us more information. About koi. About pond. About filter setup. About water parameters. About pond and filter maintenance procedures. As much information as possible.
    Thanks for your replied,
    is a kohaku about 2 years old, pond size around 6*4*4 (feet). filtering is just with filter mat and bio ring.
    there are other fish in pond but are fine. i google this in web, and found something called hikkui, could this be the disease?

thanks
    wong

It likely is Hikkui. The pond water seems turbid. Your filter setup needs frequent cleaning, and if you're not cleaning as often as needed, pathogenic bacteria will easily proliferate. Hikkui is very much a result of poor filter maintenance.

Going straight into a filter mat is not good design. Large waste, which could have been filtered at an earlier stage, would help keep filter mat from too much waste load, and lessen it's cleaning and maintenance. If you have space for filter brushes or k1 media, that would help a lot.

Even so, there is no settlement chamber. Waste that settle is much easier to dispose of, and reduces the need for mechanical filtration, and cleaning and maintenance thereof.

Keep your filter from accumulating waste, especially at the floor, and your pond will have much, much less issues of anaerobic bacteria proliferating. Together with the toxins they make, it creates very significant stress on your koi. If they don't get sick, they will spend their energy fighting stress. In so doing, their immunity gets impaired, their growth stunted, and nothing is left to develop the skin and coloration. Energy is spent for survival, and not for the luxury of becoming beautiful.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Fry
    Thanks for your valuable infor... do you know any medication i can apply to this poor fish due to my lack of knowledge. To be honest..i have not pay too much of attention to them. Any basic tips i can follow to ensure water quality and filtering keep up to good condition..thanks wong

If you are asking about medication to cure the hikkui, I'm afraid I know of none. Hikkui is not the result of a sudden trauma or laceration or puncture, it is the eventual result of the gradual and slow erosion of skin quality from the constant exposure to significant exposure to bad bacteria in the water column. Being that the problem is the water, your solution is the water also.

Your water has to be of good quality, from the chemical standpoint as well as the biological standpoint. Ammnonia and nitrite has to be nil or insignificant to keep koi alive. Nitrate has to be minimized to help skin development. And the pond has to keep pathogenic bacteria at a minimum, so that it does not dominate the pond microbial population.

Good filter design, proper stocking levels of fish, good cleaning and maintenance procedures, enough aeration, enough water changes, optimal feeding levels, an observant eye and feel on the part of the koikeeper - all contribute to giving koi a healthy environment to grow and develop.

Since the koi is not in danger of dying, you can start with cleaning thoroughly your filter, leaving no difficult to reach or clean spaces untouched. Never cross your fingers hoping a part too difficult to clean left uncleaned won't matter. It doesn't pay off being an ostrich koi-keeper. If you find it too difficult to keep the filter clean enough at all times, consider some changes in the filter design. If you can't, lessen your population of koi.

Know also how to feed. Don't overfeed. Better to underfeed than overfeed. Better to feed many times a day, say five, rather than once or twice a day. Overfeeding just results in more waste for the filter to handle, and more filter cleaning. Many fall into the feeding so much so their koi can grow fast, but skip on the part of cleaning more often to pace the higher production of waste.

Lastly, don't ever think what works now will work a year from now. Your koi grows, their needs change, you need to change your frequency of pond and filter cleaning as well.

[QUOTE=wong;220331]Thanks for your replied,
    is a kohaku about 2 years old, pond size around 6*4*4 (feet). filtering is just with filter mat and bio ring.
    there are other fish in pond but are fine. i google this in web, and found something called hikkui, could this be the disease?

Wong
    It is difficult to tell from photo. But your pond size is too small for koi fish and will be difficult to maintain both water quality and health. You have about 600 gal but should be around 10times the amount of water.
    Regards
    Eugene

I don't believe it is bacteria or anything you can kill that causes this. I believe the koi's skin is sensitive to sunlight that is causing lesions and it usually happens on the beni portion.