Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: So Goldfish or Asian Carp? Or KOI?

kingkong likes this.

when I think back to what our water friends looked like when I was a teenager fishing and exploring in S Florida Everglades.
    It is gone. New exotic introductions, some on purpose and most by mistake have made their new homes. There is just not enough room for everybody.

Thanks for the link. Sometimes problems become opportunities:

In places where an invasive species is established, however, some creative entrepreneurs still find ways to work with them. The founder Angie Wu of Two Rivers Fisheries told The Wall Street Journal her inspiration came after she read an article calling the proliferation of Asian carp a "disaster." Knowing most Chinese consider the fish delicious, she effectively markets the catch as a scrumptious "Kentucky white fish" in China.

The company is now catching as many as 15,000 Asian carp daily and shipping them to carp-loving Asians. The company nearly doubled its shipments after opening in 2013 and cannot keep up with demand.

"There's just not enough fishermen to take care of what I need," says Jeff Smith, the company's operations manager. "I want 20,000 to 25,000 a day."

....I much prefer this over poisoning the waters and other efforts made to get rid of the Asian Carp.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Thanks for the link. Sometimes problems become opportunities:

In places where an invasive species is established, however, some creative entrepreneurs still find ways to work with them. The founder Angie Wu of Two Rivers Fisheries told The Wall Street Journal her inspiration came after she read an article calling the proliferation of Asian carp a "disaster." Knowing most Chinese consider the fish delicious, she effectively markets the catch as a scrumptious "Kentucky white fish" in China.

The company is now catching as many as 15,000 Asian carp daily and shipping them to carp-loving Asians. The company nearly doubled its shipments after opening in 2013 and cannot keep up with demand.

"There's just not enough fishermen to take care of what I need," says Jeff Smith, the company's operations manager. "I want 20,000 to 25,000 a day."

....I much prefer this over poisoning the waters and other efforts made to get rid of the Asian Carp.
    Reminds me of a story about a town in India that was overrun with cobras. The government placed a bounty on the cobras and soon people were killing the cobras and claiming the rewards. Oddly enough as the years went by the number of dead cobras started increasing instead of decreasing. Turns out that people started farming cobras and releasing them so they could then kill them later to claim the bounty......
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

It also reminds me of how marketers give nice-sounding names so a fish becomes sellable. Orange roughy, a popular food fish sold as fillets, used to be called slimehead, and it wasn't very sellable then. The fish did not change, the name did.

A 'fun' video posted on another board showing why Asian Carp are so despised as invasive exotics. It is hard to imagine how devastating this much poundage of carp must be on the natives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37GA8I3gBQ

A 'fun' video posted on another board showing why Asian Carp are so despised as invasive exotics. It is hard to imagine how devastating this much poundage of carp must be on the natives.

In recent years lionfish have taken over the Gulf of Mexico. Being substrate dwellers they compete heavily with bottom fish such as grouper, snapper, amberjack, etc... Thank the stars that the state of Florida has imposed a no size limit, no bag limit, and no season date, so casically kill all you can at any time. Very fortunately they are a good tasting fare and now actually have a monetary market. This has cultured a new market hell bent on destroying their population as much as possible, and the ability to sell the catch. In my area there are numerous "Lionfish Rodeo's" where the goal is to eliminate as many of the bastards as possible.

https://youtu.be/1Ld8ta8rKgs

https://youtu.be/1Ld8ta8rKgs

Good one, Tim. You can read that Lionfish are a problem, but it seeing how large the population has become that sinks in. Each of them consuming reef fish daily takes a huge toll on the eco relationships that everything is built on.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

We could feed that poundage to our Natives.

They need that protein.

Garfield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast