Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: New book : Fish Pheromones and Related Cues

New book : Fish Pheromones and Related Cues

It is several days that i have studying about Fish hormones and pheromones, their structure and removing from water and their effects. Today a good friend introduced me to the fallowing book how ever it is very professional but studying it will help to understand better to improving environmental conditions to grow better, specially Koi carps.

Description

Pheromones are chemical cues that pass between members of the same species that convey specific, adaptive information. These cues, and related chemicals whose function are less well defined, are especially important to fishes because of their aquatic environments and complex behaviors. Pheromones are also of increasing interest in both basic and applied aspects of fish biology because they can be used to manipulate fish behavior and may explain phenomena such as fishery collapse. Fish Pheromones and Related Cues provides a timely synthesis of this growing body of research in freshwater and marine species and explores everything from how these chemical signals evolved, are produced, released and then processed, and finally to potential applications in fish culture and conservation.

Fish Pheromones and Related Cues opens with a useful overview on the theory of chemical communication and definitions. Chapters then progress by examining the biological importance of pheromones in inter- and intra-species communication, the role these chemical cues play in a variety biological functions from reproduction to predation, and then how they evolved and are detected and recognized by fish nervous systems. Final chapters provide valuable insight into how pheromones can be measured, how pheromonal disruption can explain effects of environmental pollution, and lastly how they pheromones are being applied in real-world efforts to culture fish species and to conserve our wild populations and control invasive species.

chapeter one is free to read=>Wiley: Fish Pheromones and Related Cues - P. W. Sorensen, Brian D. Wisenden

chapeter 7 is free to read=> https://books.google.com/books?id=ld...page&q&f=false

Neat book! ...rather costly for a person who is not a serious student of the subject. BTW, I clicked on the second link and then on chapter 11 in the table of contents. I got chapter 11 as my free read, not 7.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Neat book! ...rather costly for a person who is not a serious student of the subject. BTW, I clicked on the second link and then on chapter 11 in the table of contents. I got chapter 11 as my free read, not 7.
    I agree with you.it is costly for person like us also more detailed in professional . I tried to attached some sample chapters that I collected from Internet but that file size excited from forum's attachment conditions. I have shared that file by "Mediafire.com" and could be easily download via fallowing link.

content:
    Cover page
    Content table

Chapter 1 : Full content
    Chapter 2 : some pages
    Chapter 3 : Full content
    Chapter 7 : Full content

download link:

Sample : http://www.mediafire.com/download/nn...oam/Sample.pdf