Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: BKS 2016 koi show the Most Unique koi

BKS 2016 koi show the Most Unique koi

Not all shows give a 'Most Unique' award. I like them. They encourage folks to enter unusual koi that would not be competitive in the standard categories. How to select the award winner must be a freewheeling exercise for judges. You do not want a terrible koi to get an award just because it is different, nor do you want the oddball koi all left out because none have the body form of some koi that are just somewhat unusual. After all, the purpose is to reward being really different. I'm glad to leave it to the judges to come up with a selection.

In this instance, I do not know what other contenders there may have been for 'most unique'. But, I like the selection. I have seen Kage Shiro Utsuri and Cha-Utsuri. I once owned a Cha-Utsuri.... quite the ugly koi in a weirdly attractive sort of way. I do not recall having seen a Sora-Utsuri before. Perhaps I have and just do not remember it. This one has a body form that is, let us say, less than optimal; and sumi that is not so well finished. Nonetheless, I appreciate that the pectorals have the sort of striping typically seen in Hi Utsuri, and sumi blotches are well-distributed over the body with enough intensity to give contrast. I am glad to have been able to see her in a video and to be able to imagine how she would add a different sort of quiet beauty to a large pond. I wish I could see her in person. I am not particularly tempted to search for a Sora-Utsuri. Pond space is too precious. And that, for me, is what a 'most unique' award should be about. I have gotten to see something I might well never have otherwise seen, and I am thankful that her owner did all the work involved in showing her so I could see her. Good choice, judges.