Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Where are my koi?

Where are my koi?

I have had Koi for 30 years. I've had thousands. Some of my larger koi are now 3'. There are about 25 of them in my natural pond, which is about 80' in diameter and 4' deep. I drained and cleaned the pond out last fall. This spring I introduced all my best of the large koi into the pond. They instantly spawned for 2 days and the result is about 20,000 babies that are growing TOO FAST!. No place to put that many fish so I'm winging it day by day. So far all I can do is add a stronger pump to keep it oxygenated for the growing number of babies.
    That being said................ since the babies are in there I very seldom see my large koi. at all! I know they are there but I see a faded glimpse of one or two on occasion. They used to come up and feed like ravens before the spawn but now they just slowly mill about at the bottom. The water stays pretty cloudy so I can't see them very good anyway, but why won't they come up anymore?
    Here's some factors that I think is the reason.
    1. The water is low right now due to drought. They might not feel secure coming up to the surface as there is a constant threat of herons.
    2.The water is very warm this summer with temps near 100 a lot of days with no rain.
    3.Too many babies! They won't compete for the food?
    4. they are fat and healthy and don't feel very hungry anymore.
    In conclusion, They must be in there. I just don't know how they can disappear? Can someone catch koi in a big net and not leave a clue they were there? I'll see them [if they are still there] in the fall when I drain and clean the pond for next season.
    I've included a video of the pond at a different time when everything was "swimmingly" fine.
    Any input to this mystery is welcome. Thanks, Les

Great question. I have no answer, except I doubt anyone could easily catch your koi in a pond that big without a 3-man crew seining it!

Heron threat will keep them from the surface, but is it really that much different from other years? Koi are always ready to eat. Maybe they would surface if the little ones did not grab all the food so quickly??

A lot of folks will envy you for such a large natural pond. The koi may not be as easily seen, and there will always be some naturally occurring parasites on them. That's Nature. Still, there is something very special about seeing a colorful fish emerge from the depths. And, they are able to display their natural behaviors instead of swimming in a circle around a little concrete circle.

Better watch out for folks with unwanted koi wanting to give them to you. It's a big pond, but a natural pond can become over-populated and suffer mass die-offs.

I've had many offers to rescue koi from folks but have to turn them down, just because of the threat of getting something. So far [knock on wood] nothing serious has happened from disease. Most problems come from my own mistakes.