Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How to calculate filtration system?

Reza, you are right that there is no one design that will cater to everyone. I hope, though, that you would be able to convert to a pond-filter combo that involves a bottom filter design. You are well aware of the advantage, and there is no disagreement on that in this forum, ore any other koi forum. But I understand that once a pond is built, it is hard to change it. Until then, you'll need to make do with it. You will be having many fines go into the filter from the water pump pulverizing pretty much all th solid waste that gets thru it. It looks as though you have limited filter space to allow for settlement, and you have a big load for the mechanical filter. Your design requires a lot of work on your part, and the danger is that when there comes a time you skip a few cleaning chores, you will end up fighting stress problems with your koi - bacterial and viral infections are never fun. I read about the Birdman sand gravel filter, and thought it would be a filter that will suit you, with the maintenance being a lot easier for you. It also is a diy project with components that are very affordable. Please do a search on this forum and you'll easily find it. I would like to put one in my filter setup as well, and building one would be a fun thing for me, but I just don't have the time. It's just a suggestion. There are many ways to skin a cat. Just use the one that's most practical for you. Now, you are learning the art of koi keeping. While learning, don't go with the very expensive koi yet. But as you become confident of your ability in developing a koi to its potential with a better pond and filter setup, you will get to have magnificent koi to enjoy, and you will be happy to know you have developed quite a bit as well. Wish you derive the most pleasure koi keeping has in store for you in the coming years.
    crush240 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    This pond has no bottom drains and it is hard to correct it that was poorly designed for pool. I used water pumps to run water through the filter, so I exactly understand what micron scale waste is because everything when pass via pump will be powdered. ****
    For many years I had two ponds without bottom drains. I made them work, but it required more time and effort than my much larger current pond requires. Not only was it hard work to clean out debris every week, I had to change over 50% of the water per week to have what I then considered acceptable water quality. I now change out 35-40% per week and have far better water quality. Bottom drains are not essential, but they sure do make koikeeping much more enjoyable.

There are 'retro bottom drains' available. These sit on the bottom of the pond and draw water from the bottom to the filter. They are not as good as a real drain and the plumbing may seen unsightly since it must run across the bottom of the pond and up the side. Waste still gets pulverized in the pump before going to the filter, requiring the mechanical stage of filtration to be larger. Despite these drawbacks, people who use them say the improvement in their pond is substantial. You may not have these available in Iran at this time. Perhaps you can check them out on the internet and, if interested, find one that can be imported affordably.

MCA
    When you speak of filtration.....which of these 4 very different pollutants do you mean?

Organic insolubles: pieces of algae, feces, uneatten food, leaves or flowers that fall in......etc.
    Organic solubles: this is where the DOC term come in......all that proteins, plant tannins....and other organic material dissolved into the water column.
    Inorganic insolubles: this is the easy one, keep gravel and rocks and other objects out of the water column so that they do not trap organic pollutants
    Inorganic solubles: this is all those fun nitrogen compounds....ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate Nitrification addresses ammonia and nitrite. But for nitrate you need water changes and maybe some denitrification.

All those pollutant types need different tools and techniques.......unless you have a endless supply of superb water.
    MikeM and Reza like this.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

As you may know the story of Koi in Iran Is 1001 nights story and still til today I couldn't touch any good quality koi in market. Also illegally imported koi are not even pond grade and domestic koi they most looks like "cull grade". Facilities and accessories availability are the same manner. I did Search and find the Birdman sand gravel filter, what I have as a filter is almost looks like that but not 100%. In Birdman filter, ASTM D-1785 standard PVC pipes and fittings are used, here is not available. I had to rebuild it buy using PPRC (PP-R type 3) family and fusion tools.

Fish keeping was not my hobby at all of my life, til I fall in lave with koi by internet after that I tried to find some thing like what I saw in pictures but that was a
    Love failure experience. Finally I decided to try to keep some interesting that I may found in market. I start my journey with fingerlings now after several years i am trying to optimize keeping conditions and quality, may be one day i may have some high quality imported Japanese fish.

Yesterday I have checked the Android app store for koi and I found this app for Android mobiles to calculate the food for feeding and filtration size and medium needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pany.viewpager

and their home page is

Koi Calculator - Koi Calculator

Hope to get friends idea.
    ricshaw likes this.

MCA
    I would bet it is only calculating the needed surface area for nitrification for a given amount of protein in the eaten food. It is the eaten protein that drives the ammonia production.

So that leaves denitrification calculation....unless that is addressed only via water changes. And it does not do anything about the important mechanical stage that addresses organic soluble and insoluble pollutants.

Be careful that such calculators are only "one trick" ponies.
    Reza likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Yesterday I have checked the Android app store for koi and I found this app for Android mobiles to calculate the food for feeding and filtration size and medium needs.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pany.viewpager
    and their home page is
    Koi Calculator - Koi Calculator
    Hope to get friends idea.
    Thanks for the link to the home page. I have not had a chance to read all of the information, but it looks good.

Note: Disclaimer

Koi calculator

This Koi food and filter calculator has been made with the utmost care by a hobbyist, for Koi hobbyists worldwide to quickly get a good estimate of the required amount of food or filtersize needed. As no pond or filter is equal, and each food is composed slightly different, the data acquired from the Koi calculator can only be used as an indication. The calculations are made and based on data generally used and accepted in the Koi community and can be obtained freely on the www. the data from different sources was averaged to get the best consensus from numbers given by breeders and leading people in the industry. The app builders assume that filtersystems and koi pond maintanence by Koi calculator users, are adequate. The use of the Koi calculator and data acquired thereoff is completely at the own risk of its users. The owners and creators of the Koi calculator can never legally be held responsible, in which ever way possible, for, and by the use of the application, not the consequences thereoff. Do not change the amount advised by the calculator each day. One should slowly feed increasing amounts to reach the amount needed by adding approximately 50 gram to the total per day. If your koi do not eat the advised amount, discard the leftover during maximum one week, then seek help for your filter system or management is inadequate.

Thanks Richard, here I had to confess that my last successful filter that still is running over several years is from information that I got on that time from
    Richard L. Renshaw web page (Koi Ponds and Filters) about Out-of-pond, up-flow filter. After several failures on filter load and handling I decided to use a big barrel to make a filter.

At the end of each season once I wash gravels, stones, rocks, sands and replace 50% of sponges. when started again none-stop runs for next 3 months in summer I open filter bottom drain once every week.

Thanks Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12