It is time for the Fall auctions...

Momotaro koi

I find it interesting that for the first auction of the season, Momotaro has both GinRin Kohaku and Ginrin Sanke. The quantity of GinRin of such high quality has increased remarkably over the past few years. Their popularity has obviously grown. The aesthetic influences are not the same as they once were, but there were not so many high quality GinRin a decade ago either.

I have made a point of studying the Sanke produced by Momotaro since the auctions were first placed on the internet. Comparing the ones in this auction to those from, say, 5+ years ago, teaches a good deal about the direction of Momotaro breeding efforts. In the past, the Matsunosuke base genetics was obvious. Over the years, there have been fewer and fewer showing strong influence of the Matsunosuke body form and beni. The batch at this auction shows little of those old conventional traits. Coming from a Kohaku mother, the SFF influence is felt. Among the top tier high volume breeders, Momotaro has emphasized Sanke more than the others and has exhibited a good deal of experimentation in the selection of oyagoi. Overall, this work has taken the farm's genetics in a direction closer to what SFF has done, but not the same. You can still see a wide variation in body form if you focus on just the body silhouettes and head/shoulder structure. But, the variation does not seem to me to be as great as it was in the past. As the auctions continue through the end of the year, I want to check whether it is just the Sanke from this oyagoi, or does the trend continue through other Sanke selections.