Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Learning - My First Tosai Shiro Utsuri Growout

Cool Learning - My First Tosai Shiro Utsuri Growout

Let the learning begin. Did it again...I came across a few tosai female shiro utsuri from Omosako. The tosai were marketed females coming from good bloodline (Zebra Jr). I am not familiar with Omosako bloodlne. Having not received bids through the online auctions, I securing another Koikichi Project for this coming Hawaii winter/spring/summer. As always, my curiosity for little tosai gets the better of me.

Well the shiro utsuri are attached here... comments?

They are 11"-12" in size.

After doing a little research, it appears that haste makes waste when it comes to Tosai selections for Shiro- utsuri babies. It apears that these little girls may already have too much sumi already present on their bodies. I still am happy that I will get to watch their development under my care again. They should grow fast in our climate and I'm looking forward to see how they will stretch out in the next year or so. My male kohaku growout is still going strong, although with the size of my ponds they are now limited in growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think selecting tosai Shiro Utsuri is as hard a challenge as you can get. The old Showa standby of 'select the beni and wait for the sumi' applies, but there is no beni.

With Omosako tosai, I am not so sure the idea of avoiding ones with much sumi showing applies anymore. If sumi is showing, you want to be sure it is high quality, but tosai can be deceptive to the inexperienced eye. So, it would seem the first step is to focus on the white, but SU tosai often have yellowish tones that turn very white by the time the fish is nisai. So, what is a person to do??

I think the three you have will make for a good experience. Notice how the head shapes vary, and head lengths in relation to shoulder and shoulder width vary.

Yes, I agree Mike. Three different head and body shapes and also some variations of sumi on these little gals. Looking forward to see what each has to offer in the next coming months. Although our water temperatures in Hawaii are starting to get cold at 70 degrees. Brrrr...