Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring PH?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
    I have been using API test kits for years but I have never compared the results to anything other measurement so I always took them for granted. What opened my eyes was my API ammonia test kit and when I measured Ammonia on several different water samples (tap water, distilled water, bottled drinking water, and pond water) I always seem to read .25 instead of the bright yellow that should indicate zero.

You are correct in that there may be other variables involved but I am now sold on the APM PH meter especially since it comes with packets of calibration fluid. The fluid allows for accurate calibration of the meter and gives me a high degree of confidence that the measurement is correct. Digital readout of numbers is so much easier than trying to match up colors.
    Could you be partially color blind?

Take a sample of your pond water to the pet shop and compare their test kits with your electronic pH and the liquid test kits.

As a comparison

We don't see API this side.

It's all Tetra liquid kits.

Garfield

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    Could you be partially color blind?

Take a sample of your pond water to the pet shop and compare their test kits with your electronic pH and the liquid test kits.

As a comparison

We don't see API this side.

It's all Tetra liquid kits.

Garfield
    Too funny I am getting old, and would not discount deterioration of my senses, but color blindness should not be a factor in a side by side comparison of what should be the same color in a liquid sample and one printed on a card. If my perception of the color on the card is off then my perception of the color in the liquid sample would be equally off. It really does not matter what the "actual" color is all that matters is that the user sees a match between the color of liquid sample and the color on the card.

Many years ago I owned a tropical fish store and my wife also helped run the store on occasion. We are both familiar with various brands of test kits that use liquid samples compared to color cards. Both my wife and I are witnessing the same discrepancy. In any case I am not trying to validate or calibrate the API or other test kits I am just looking to get the most accurate and precise reading that can be achieved by affordable newer technology.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12